Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

• RMweb Gold

Superb weathering sir, l wish l could emulate it! But is it me or is the rear cab sheet leaning at an angle?

Bob C

Yes, ever so slightly - camera angles haven't helped. Looking at photos of the real thing, the rear cab sheeting wasn't always straight either.

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Premium

Yes, ever so slightly

Mmmmm I though so, l admit l thought l d seen a similar effect on some of the images l d seen else where, l wonder if that's a common issue to all this batch?

• RMweb Gold

I now eagerly await the ex-LSWR stock. The Bachmann suburban and the Hornby Maunsell are a height mismatch and decouple every so often and I can't fit Kadees to the Bachmann. Problem with Kadees (off topic,sorry) is that they need a correct height match,especially with the disadvantage of a baseboard join and a perceptible incline surge which is in any case on a curve in the track.Never mind,I'm more than happy with what I have :yahoo:

• RMweb Gold

I now eagerly await the ex-LSWR stock. The Bachmann suburban and the Hornby Maunsell are a height mismatch and decouple every so often and I can't fit Kadees to the Bachmann. Problem with Kadees (off topic,sorry) is that they need a correct height match,especially with the disadvantage of a baseboard join and a perceptible incline surge which is in any case on a curve in the track.Never mind,I'm more than happy with what I have :yahoo:

Does the Bachy suburban have a NEM socket? If so try the Hornby/Roco (?) couplers they seem to cope with height mismatches quite well.

• RMweb Gold

Had it several years....an ebay purchase.Can't remember from whom tbh.Thought it was a kosher TBG.

Probably Koalaclaire, he brought over £10,000's worth of loco's off a private collector (dodgy car dealer) - who claimed they were all my work (and they weren't)

After this incident, I started signing my work on the underside of the loco (or tender). my West Country's/ Battle of Britain's/ Merchant Navies would also get a number or Rpt on the trailing truck.

For anyone who has a M7 claiming to be by me, these are the numbers: 30049 (LC both Forward Facing), 30053 (EC), 30021 (LC both FF), 30667 (LC), 30025 (LC), 30024 (LC) & 30111 (EC)

Back on topic

FYI the Adams Radials are signed as well ;)

• RMweb Gold

So do I purchase a 30582 or not ....... please tell me. Please.

Phil

Yes. Do it Ducky. You know you want to. Buy it now.

Buy it and I will send you a free gift.....

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Just collected 30584............

Bloody sodding fantastic. So glad I waited for the Hornby Radial.

Appears much finer than the Oxford.

Top drawer Hornby.

Rob. ( pleased of Cardiff )

Is the Hornby model fitted with traction tyres and is it able to cope with slight undulations in the track work?

I'm aware that the Oxford version had problems with its front/rear pony trucks not being able to move sufficiently resulting in the loco's main driving wheels losing contact with the track.

Many thanks,

Paul

Is the Hornby model fitted with traction tyres and is it able to cope with slight undulations in the track work?

I'm aware that the Oxford version had problems with its front/rear pony trucks not being able to move sufficiently resulting in the loco's main driving wheels losing contact with the track.

Many thanks,

Paul

See the previous replies, they are both exactly as bad as each other on bad track, both have cures about the same, ease the rear bearing, and remove a washer on the bogie for Hornby, and adjust the bogie for Oxford. Apart from the Oxford boiler bottom, and the awful Chimney on the Hornby, they are near identical, same level of detailing, same decoration.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

So do I purchase a 30582 or not ....... please tell me. Please.

Phil

Yes.After you've seen it tested.A beautiful,classy model....but a thoroughbred that won't tolerate imperfections in trackwork.It will repay you many times over in its elegant finish and performance.The paint finish and lining are outstanding.

• RMweb Premium

Yes.After you've seen it tested.A beautiful,classy model....but a thoroughbred that won't tolerate imperfections in trackwork.It will repay you many times over in its elegant finish and performance.The paint finish and lining are outstanding.

Hereford Model Centre test theirs; anywhere else we know of please?

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks,

Paul

No traction tyres on the Hornby and be prepared for glitches over baseboard joins.Like any thoroughbred,it can be temperamental if trackwork presents the odd problem.Repays with qualities which make it stand out from the crowd. A wonderful new kid on the block

• RMweb Gold

Personally, the Hornby offering nails it. It has captured the fine graceful lines of this Victorian loco perfectly.

The Oxford model reminds me of a Mainline model from the eighties. We deserve better these days.

I am glad I waited

Hornby has a superb ability to capture these L&SWR locos and long may it continue.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Just collected 30584............

Bloody sodding fantastic. So glad I waited for the Hornby Radial.

Appears much finer than the Oxford.

Top drawer Hornby.

Rob. ( pleased of Cardiff )

Will Norman wet himself when he sees it?

P

• RMweb Premium

Read my earlier posts on Derails..who tested mine thoroughly...and whose service is outstanding.

Ah Derails is a shop not an event! Thanks. I read your post as ...'earlier posts on Derails' (thinking this reference was to the bogie problems)  then 'who (as in who?)  tested mine thoroughly...I must be failing .....

Phil

See the previous replies, they are both exactly as bad as each other on bad track, both have cures about the same, ease the rear bearing, and remove a washer on the bogie for Hornby, and adjust the bogie for Oxford. Apart from the Oxford boiler bottom, and the awful Chimney on the Hornby, they are near identical, same level of detailing, same decoration.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen for responding to my posting and for your views on both models.

Regards,

Paul

No traction tyres on the Hornby and be prepared for glitches over baseboard joins.Like any thoroughbred,it can be temperamental if trackwork presents the odd problem.Repays with qualities which make it stand out from the crowd. A wonderful new kid on the block

Thanks Ian for confirming that the Hornby model doesn't have traction tyres.  I might well be tempted............ :)  

• Like 1