Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

• RMweb Gold

For those of you greedy for more than one of these,there are photographic records of double-heading on the Lyme Regis branch.See Norman Lockett,Ivo Peters etc....Oh the sins of gluttony...I shall savour the anticipation a while yet as I'm heading for Barcelona

,,,of Freddie Mercury fame.....next week.

Well Freddie will have to wait until next week.Package flying shortly to me from the opposite direction. ; a small offshore island.....Yet another moment of weakness.

I've removed the coal load and added a false floor to the bunk to make putting real coal in easier, there's enough room underneath that there is potential to add more weight or a speaker.

It will be the same for both makes, do not put too much weight in the bunker, it affects to balance a bit on the drivers, already lightly loaded by the other wheels, try to balance it with weight forward as well, to keep even balance.

Picked up mine yesterday and got up at 5:30am this morning so I could get her on the rails to do a review, before work! :swoon: Should be up a bit later on. Must say it really is a stunning model.

Here's a little taster...

I'll look forward to that then :)

• RMweb Gold

It will be the same for both makes, do not put too much weight in the bunker, it affects to balance a bit on the drivers, already lightly loaded by the other wheels, try to balance it with weight forward as well, to keep even balance.

I haven't put any weight in the bunker, the C/G (Center of Gravity) is approximately in line with the front edge of the tanks.

In the meantime here's so better photo's of the work in progress - including a look at the false floor I've added to the bunker (don't want to give to much away)  :jester:

post-7000-0-24035100-1467989178_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-18251000-1467989199_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

A review of a very much anticipated from model from Hornby. The all new LSWR 4-4-2T Adams Radial 415 Class, in stunning LSWR Lined Green Livery.

The Adams Radial Tanks were design by William Adams, to replace the stop-gap 46 Class on suburban services around London. The first members of the class entered service in 1882, and by 1885 a total of 71 Locomotives had entered service. During grouping in 1923, only 30 locomotives made it in to Southern Railway ownership. By 1927, only two engines remained, although in 1946 they were joined by a further locomotive, purchased from the East Kent Light Railway. All 3 saw service on the Lyme Regis Branch, in Dorset and passed in BR ownership. All three were finally withdrawn from service in 1961, with one member surviving into preservation.

Hornby have done an superb job in capturing the prototype, with the model features a wealth of detail including; separately fitted smokebox dart, finely applied hand rails and pipework, extensively detailed cab interior, sprung buffers, well applied Glazing, plus more.

Fitted with a powerful 5 Pole Motor, Die-cast Boiler and Chassis, the Hornby Adams has got to be one of the slowest and smoothest runners straight from the box I have ever seen! This model really is a must for any Southern Region or Preserved Era modeller!

post-20663-0-99970900-1468007492_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 5

On the issue of both the Oxford and the Hornby not liking dips in the track or the start of an incline if it is too sudden, the Hornby seems only to have the problem when the bogie is leading, as the rear wheel has more play in the vertical direction, unlike the Oxford. Both Radials can straddle deep dips, with the drivers in the air.

The problem is really the track, it is more likely with set track than flexible track. I now have permission from the owner of the Hornby Radial to slightly increase the rear wheel movement, and adjust the front bogie, and testing again now shows full power is applied at all times, unless the flat track jumps to an incline of about 1:10, without the transition needed. After the adjustment the haulage is increased as more weight is on the drivers even on straight track.

The Oxford responded in the same way, it's problem was made worst by the rear axle bing so firmly mounted, They both pull the same amount in practical terms, with the heavier Hornby adding a bit extra.

There is a small issue with both, again on gradients, if a point is at the top of a gradient at the point it goes form the gradient to flat, (not a good place for a point), then both locos running bunker first can lift the radial wheels off the track, risking derailment on the point, or even on a sharper curve at the top of a gradient. If it happens, the rear bearing would need more major mods to allow it to float more in the up and down motion. There's no point in springing the rear wheel as the spring would harm the traction of the drivers.

My only appearance complaint on the Hornby is the chimney base, it is far to thick, and looks very odd, any other problems are quite minor.

Stephen

A very long shot, but has anybody got both the Oxford and Hornby in Green LSWR, and able to photograph them side by side in profile to compare the paint? The lighting should not affect the comparison, as they would both be in the same lighting. My initial reaction to the Oxford was that the wheels were pretty good in colour despite being plastic, but the Hornby ones seem to look to have a lighter and more translucent look, and don't have the black rims. It may of course have been a slight livery change at the Bluebell, as the loco has undergone cosmetic restoration prior to more major re-building for further service.

Stephen

Having thoroughly disassembled the chassis on one sample, I can say that, giving the front bogie more play is very straight forward. You just need remove the washer that is in place on the front bogie pivot ;)

The extra lift needed is very small, only about .3 /.4mm at most, but it does make a world of difference.

I can see that some of you have had the top off. I picked up my Late Crest BR version yesterday and after running in want to put a chip in. I have removed the two screws underneath & the one in the chimney. The body is still attached with no discernable movement. I am think there must be another screw which is not mentioned on the instruction sheet? Anyone else had a problem or is it just me?

• RMweb Gold

I can see that some of you have had the top off. I picked up my Late Crest BR version yesterday and after running in want to put a chip in. I have removed the two screws underneath & the one in the chimney. The body is still attached with no discernable movement. I am think there must be another screw which is not mentioned on the instruction sheet? Anyone else had a problem or is it just me?

I had the same problem, there is no hidden screw......just a very tight body sitting on the chassis!!

It took me ages to get the body off but finally with left-hand finger and thumb holding the tank and right-hand finger and thumb somehow pulling on the chassis between the driving wheel the body and chassis came apart.

Be interesting to know which decoder you will be fitting - I put a TCS DP-UK in mine.

Keith

Could Hornby please design a model that the body comes off easily, completely fed up of having to force off a body with far too many delicate fragile bits on it. Often the cause is down to the unnecessary miles of wire that they fit getting trapped and consequently jamming attempts to remove a body. If this loco is restricted space wise on fitting a decoder I would suggest removing the socket,  all of Hornbys wiring bar those from the pick-up(s) and hard wiring a decoder in place. An approach that works well on the M7 BTW.

• RMweb Premium

I wish more companies would provide easy fit dcc arrangements which avoid the need to remove the body. Bachmann did it years ago with their Desiro and some HO manufacturers do it. I genuinely think it'd encourage a higher take up of dcc, particularly by less experienced modellers.

The take up of DCC is slow due to the cost mainly, it is very expensive, and the way most people use it is wasting the system. I would agree that Hornby's and others designs for the wiring are appalling, the M7 in particular, which included a stud contact under the pickup plate to make an earth path, it apparently fails a lot.

At present I do not use DCC for most models, but I have it on On3 locos that came with it, using a Bachmann controller. although there are many parameters you can set, running is not improved on an already well running model, and the only advantage is constant lighting, which can be done cheaper in DC anyway.

At present sound is the only advantage, and it costs too much, and sounds awful. Really it only works in diesels and tender locos, and with some modellers who have convinced themselves it works after trying to justify the money spent.

The sockets are a good idea in a large loco, but in a smaller steam loco it leaves scant space for the decoder, let alone sound.

The Adams, both the Oxford and Hornby have got the back bunker to work with, but simpler R/C sockets would take up half the space. There are only two wires to a motor after all.....

Stephen.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure I'd agree that it is that expensive to go digital, yes it adds cost to chip a locomotive but you don't have to buy expensive chips (I find Bachmann 36-554's work fine, ditto Hornby 8 pin chips) and DCC set ups don't have to cost the earth. I used Hornby Railmaster for the boys trainset basically because it was part of his trainset and it works fine despite its low cost. He likes its PC interface. And without DCC we'd still need controllers. Digital makes wiring a layout easier and it does add a lot of operator options as you drive a train rather than just energising the track. I'm not a fan of sound myself, I find it does not scale well and is unconvincing but the boy has a couple of TTS diesels which he loves.

If people don't like DCC then that's fine, it's a free world (well, our bit of it is) but if people do like the idea of DCC then manufacturers could make some things a lot easier. I am used to removing bodies and playing with the innards but I have to say I found removing the bodies of my Heljan 33 and Bachmann 4CEP nerve wracking so lord knows what a new comer would think. And to newcomers joining the hobby it probably seems a bit odd to spend ££££££'s on a delicate, rather fragile model and then immediately have to take it to bits if they have decided to go digital.

• Like 2

Could Hornby please design a model that the body comes off easily, completely fed up of having to force off a body with far too many delicate fragile bits on it...

I have had those sweaty moments with various of the products of all three UK RTR OO loco manufacturers I have sampled, Bachmann, Heljan and Hornby. Latterly all three have done better, thanks to decoder sockets in tenders - so praise where due - but the potential problem with 'single body' types remains present. Choices such as a socket in a bunker void, or underneath a cover using a prototype panel break line, or in a void accessible from the underside, would do much to remove these difficulties.

• Like 1