Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• RMweb Gold

Another pleasant surprise from Hornby.

One wonders, what the first running sample of the Air Smoothed Merchant Navy might be hauling when it makes it's début on the Engine Shed Blog...

Please don't. My credit card is a quivering wreck already. :O  

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely splendid news!! This is another cracking announcement from Hornby and on the back of the air smoothed Merchant Navy and 71 is terrific news for SR modellers. With the new releases of Bachmann and DJM/Kernow it is another happy time for fans of Southern. I thank Hornby for doing coaches, these days locomotive projects seem to be getting more and more niche yet there are still gaping holes in rolling stock for them to pull.

Given that many were confidently telling us that Hornby were finished a couple of years ago it is a tremendous come back, well done Hornby.

Another pleasant surprise from Hornby.

One wonders, what the first running sample of the Air Smoothed Merchant Navy might be hauling when it makes it's début on the Engine Shed Blog...

BRCW Bullieds. ok.gif

• Like 3

A question from one not well versed in things SR, were these used on the IOW?

Sadly, the short answer is no. However, they are probably less wrong than other options. The Island used, I believe, three 3-sets of ex-LSWR stock to completely different diagrams. These were shipped back to the mainland before the outbreak of the Hitler war, and replaced in turn by ex-LBSCR and then ex-SECR stock. Eventually these last became the sole survivors in use.

PB

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can tell, these only seem to be coming, unlike the Colletts, in one livery. And again, I may have missed it, but have they specified Southern or BR(SR) green?

• RMweb Gold

Nurse!!! Nurse!!!!........tablets....fetch my tablets....its happening again.......and the cold spoon, definitely need the cold spoon.....

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Premium

[quote name="phil gollin" post="1923904" timestamp="1434379270

It seems VERY odd that all the low-windowed ones were done in Southern and cream/crimson, but only a very few in BR Southern Region green. 

As far as I know, there have been no cream/crimson low-windowed Maunsell coaches.

As far as I can tell, these only seem to be coming, unlike the Colletts, in one livery. And again, I may have missed it, but have they specified Southern or BR(SR) green?

I couldn't find the answer either.

• RMweb Gold

Did these survive to run on BR? And in green?

Survived to 1959-ish and certainly ran in crimson (which is what I want); they would have carried SR green with BR lettering before that.

I'm not aware of any getting BR green and withdrawals commenced around the time the region began retrieving its identity but it's not impossible that a few might have.

The descriptions on the Hornby website imply Southern Railway livery, but I imagine there will be more to follow.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know, there have been no cream/crimson low-windowed Maunsell coaches.

Agreed; and the only low-window BR green ones I have are a BCK and two SKs out of the "1957 Suburban" train/coach packs (the composites were high-window), plus the "Somerset & Dorset" coach pack (2x four compartment BSKs and a CK). 

I'm hoping Hornby will eventually get round to a re-run of the latter in crimson/cream.

John

Wonderful news! Hornby seem to be majoring on Southern coaches what with the Maunsells (agreed they should do some BR low-window versions), the push-pull sets, the unconverted open 2nd/3rd, and now these.

A couple of questions - did these 58' Maunsell rebuilds ever run with the (Kernow) LSWR gate-stock or the (Bachmann) birdcage coaches?

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful news! Hornby seem to be majoring on Southern coaches what with the Maunsells (agreed they should do some BR low-window versions), the push-pull sets, the unconverted open 2nd/3rd, and now these.

A couple of questions - did these 58' Maunsell rebuilds ever run with the (Kernow) LSWR gate-stock or the (Bachmann) birdcage coaches?

Mal

In the same areas, or in the same trains? 

Did these survive to run on BR? And in green?

Between 1949 and 56 they were painted carmine red, while others probably remained Bulleid green long enough to skip carmine completely and go into BR loco-hauled stock green.

And again, I may have missed it, but have they specified Southern or BR(SR) green?

I couldn't find the answer either.

It's a good question. These coaches look great. They are specified as "SR". Southern Region / Southern Railway?

EDIT:

As a nice departure for Hornby, their web site is very clear. It is SR Maunsell Green, suitable for the 1930s.

I will make the observation that the Adams Radial has not been announced in a Southern Railway livery (by anyone). Currently Hornby offers it in LSWR (as preserved, which doesn't match the modified LSWR stock) early BR black and late BR black liveries.

Perhaps there will be an Maunsell liveried Adams Radial in the 2016 lineup?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the same trains

Mal

In general, no. The push-pull gate sets usually operated in passenger service solo, as did the 58' 2-sets (which weren't equipped for push-pull working anyway). On the Lyme Regis branch, at quiet times of the year, the BCL sometimes ran alone with the BT left in a siding. Passenger numbers on services they were used on generally didn't warrant more than two coaches or the expense of new ones! 

The 9-compartment lavatory thirds were used as "loose stock" and migrated all over the SR system including ex-SECR territory. However, the forthcoming (Bachmann) Birdcages ran as self-contained 3-sets (I think batteries and dynamos were shared between vehicles which would have precluded splitting them) so any LSW rebuilds used for strengthening purposes would be "attached to" rather than "marshalled within" such sets.

Mike King, in "Southern Coaches" refers to composites being used similarly after Western Section 3-sets were reduced to 2-sets. However, those appear to be a type not planned by Hornby.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

At the present rate it'll be very simple 'We intend to produce everything you want (in OO)'.

What is going on there seems rather interesting.  I get the impression that the design and development chaps might be getting a fairly free hand  (no doubt within a budget of course) and are close enough to 'the market' to understand what will or won't succeed in the sort of sales environment Hornby are now seeing as their future for the 'modeller' part of the market.

... in the meanwhile I look forward to them moving on to some non-ganwayed (G)WR stock.

Yes Mike, it is a very interesting development. I was very surprised on Friday to see this announcement so soon after the announcement of the Collett stock. I wasn't surprised to see Hornby revisit the Southern but this was quick.

The Collett stock shows an arrival date of May 2016 with an arrival date of August 2016 for the Maunsell-modified LSWR stock.

This is not the right place for speculation, but with coaches for LMS (non-gangwayed), GWR and now SR announced, one wonders how soon some new LNER coaches will be announced, and if so what?

Let's say LNER coaches are hypothetically announced for 2017, which at current course and speed is plausible, it begs the question whether Bachmann will have their Thompson teaks done by then. If Hornby can deliver on the ex-LSWR coaches, they could very well beat the SE&CR birdcage stock to market too.

It also does beg the question of how sustainable the present rate of announcements all is.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

...Let's say LNER coaches are hypothetically announced for 2017, which at current course and speed is plausible, it begs the question whether Bachmann will have their Thompson teaks done by then. If Hornby can deliver on the ex-LSWR coaches, they could very well beat the SE&CR birdcage stock to market too...

Do the QoS Pullman cars count as the LNER stock in this round of releases?

Personally should Hornby care to look at LNER coaches, an accurate rendition of the Gresley gangwayed coaches would be my top pick. Plenty of subjects without RTR models, the end vestibule stock would be my favourite, and a triplet dining set for the wow factor. And then a streamlined set. All those Doncaster pacifics and other ECML power sold, few good RTR coaches for them...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a good question. These coaches look great. They are specified as "SR". Southern Region / Southern Railway?

EDIT:

As a nice departure for Hornby, their web site is very clear. It is SR Maunsell Green, suitable for the 1930s.

I will make the observation that the Adams Radial has not been announced in a Southern Railway livery (by anyone). Currently Hornby offers it in LSWR (as preserved, which doesn't match the modified LSWR stock) early BR black and late BR black liveries.

Perhaps there will be an Maunsell liveried Adams Radial in the 2016 lineup?

And maybe BR crimson versions of the coaches?

Either way, it seems a little odd to release compatible locos and stock in non-compatible liveries which suggests there are more announcements to come.

John

• RMweb Gold

Personally should Hornby care to look at LNER coaches, an accurate rendition of the Gresley gangwayed coaches would be my top pick. Plenty of subjects without RTR models, the end vestibule stock would be my favourite, and a triplet dining set for the wow factor. And then a streamlined set. All those Doncaster pacifics and other ECML power sold, few good RTR coaches for them...

You may be right about the Pullmans and I'd certainly like to see a more representative selection of Gresley corridors (including end-vestibule types).

From a personal viewpoint, I'd really like the steel-bodied articulated brake third + third twin set of the type that used to turn up in Bournemouth (via the S&D) in latter years.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I think the streamlined set is a winner. From a personal preference standpoint, I'm more aligned to Mike's comment regarding non-gangwayed GWR stock.

I do think this choice by Hornby for new 1930s SR stock is pretty exciting.

• RMweb Premium

I would say the LNER has done rather well out of Hornby as regards coaches are concerned. They got a reasonable selection of Gresley main line stock followed by both Thomson and Greseley non corridor sets. While the SR has done well with Maunsell main line stock, rural steam hauled stock has been lacking until recently.

The big 4 company that gets the worst deal is actually the GWR, followed by the LMS

I should note that while not primarily a passenger locomotive, the S15 will be released in Maunsell olive later this year.

The big 4 company that gets the worst deal is actually the GWR, followed by the LMS

Everyone gets a turn. The biggest issue with GWR stock is that the Hawksworth coaches polled higher than any GWR stock. The choice to make the Haswksworth stock left pre-nationalization GWR fans feeling like they 'missed a turn'.