Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

Well I be blowed, makes me think about selling all the other Southern, Western and now Eastern stuff, and just spend my time and energy recreating the Lyme Regis branch line. Being born in 1985 I never saw it, but I really wish I could have seen the line, which once ran not far away from me here in Dorchester. So maybe I could recreate it...

Probably won't be selling me stock but this announcement does seriously cause one to think...

Edited by ady77014
  • Like 1

I will have a rake in BR colours, maybe early 50s to make a change from all the green stock I have.

In fact given BR steam era is one of the most popular, Hornby would be wise to do rake covering BR steam from release.

• Like 1

If Horn by can do these, they can certainly do top lights. Though I don't expect to see any. Very happy with the Colletts.

Good point. If Hornby can turn out these LSWR/SR mash-ups in a form that they only existed in for the 1935-1959 period, then that essentially torpedoes the argument that GWR toplights have too much variety/too many nuances to be commercially viable. If both these and the Colletts sell (and I'm on the verge of pre-ordering a dozen of the latter) then I wonder whether we are entering into the "age of the coach" in RTR, given the rapidly diminishing list of yet un-modelled loco prototypes?

An exciting development, in any case! 

CoY

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Good point. If Hornby can turn out these LSWR/SR mash-ups in a form that they only existed in for the 1935-1959 period, then that essentially torpedoes the argument that GWR toplights have too much variety/too many nuances to be commercially viable. If both these and the Colletts sell (and I'm on the verge of pre-ordering a dozen of the latter) then I wonder whether we are entering into the "age of the coach" in RTR, given the rapidly diminishing list of yet un-modelled loco prototypes?

An exciting development, in any case! 

CoY

Maybe what we're moving into (for whatever reasons) is a better-balanced age where more buyers are becoming interested in entire trains rather than just locomotives. Hopefully......... 

John

• Like 6

This is not the right place for speculation, but with coaches for LMS (non-gangwayed), GWR and now SR announced, one wonders how soon some new LNER coaches will be announced, and if so what?

Let's say LNER coaches are hypothetically announced for 2017

... which will be the 80th anniversary of The Coronation streamline service!

The Nim.

• Like 2

There is some information about these coaches in chapter 7 Non Corridor Stock in An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches by Mike King and the chapter headed New Underframes for Old Coaches in Maunsell's SR Steam Passenger Stock 1923-1939 by David Gould.

Both Hornby and Grahammuz have provided comprehensive and easy to read information about these coaches and where they were used in website and blog respectively.

post-17621-0-06098500-1434442109_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-44010800-1434442154_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, these only seem to be coming, unlike the Colletts, in one livery. And again, I may have missed it, but have they specified Southern or BR(SR) green?

At the moment they've only listed one livery, but with Hornby's previous practice on coaches I would expect there to be  pre nationalisation and post nationalisation livery versions in the first release year. As far as I can recall, all other pre nationalisation coaches that Hornby have produced, have been issued in 2 liveries to cover a post nationalisation option, in the first year of release, even the Hawksworth, despite few receiving GWR livery. The only coaches that didn't follow that pattern were the Pullmans, as the overall colour scheme remained the same.

• RMweb Gold

If they drip feed models like this then the catalogue is going to be more a compendium of models they have produced than a guide to what's coming ;)

We really are getting spoilt for choice with these, the Birdcage stock and Kernows Gate Stock on the way. I'll have a couple of twin sets, SR one and a BR one, for Lulworth which will allow a great variety when just playing trains.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if you can chop them up and turn them back into proper LSWR coaches!

Anything is possible with enough determination but there comes a point where sticking to ones preferred modelling methods/materials crosses over into doing things the hard way.

The thought of spending forty quid each on a number of coaches, slicing up the bodies and discarding most of the rest strikes me as very strong encouragement for learning to solder!

John

• RMweb Premium

Either way, it seems a little odd to release compatible locos and stock in non-compatible liveries which suggests there are more announcements to come.

John

Just wondering will we see a Adams Radial train pack with these coaches at some point from Hornby.

I was thinking this; that Hornby will produce a compatible Adams Radial and these coaches as a Train Pack rather than separately.

Mike King, in "Southern Coaches" refers to composites being used similarly after Western Section 3-sets were reduced to 2-sets. However, those appear to be a type not planned by Hornby.  

John

However nice, these coaches are too early for me but a Western Section coach to go in a 2-car set would probably persuade me to buy. Hornby added Maunsell coach types later on so perhaps will add to this range as well. I'd still prefer BRCW Bulleids though...

I'm not sure anyone has asked so here goes .... not really knowing the "pre diesel" era very well, but very much liking the thought of a Lyme branch (would fit a "module" wonderfully... just think of Combpyne viaduct... and it was local to me as a child even though it was long gone by the time I was alive so never travelled on it) can anyone give me a list of product codes for Adams Radial and coaches for a 2 or 3 coach rake that would be prototypical, from current releases planned?

• Like 1

I was thinking this; that Hornby will produce a compatible Adams Radial and these coaches as a Train Pack rather than separately...

And a Black Bentley saloon in the box set too,

Photographic background by you know who,

Wheezing up the line from Lyme,

No chance of Axminster on time,

Better add another of the Radials

Clever Hornby, yet more sales ...

• Like 4

No more scanning EBay for Northstar coaches! My impending O2 will have a pair of plastic ones to haul from Padstow to Bodmin and back.  It appears Hornby actually listened and now appears to be going full steam era on coaching stock. Will wonders never cease!

Also in last line of the Engine Shed blog on the LSWR coaching stock it says that "There's still some development work to be done on the Maunsell coaches - tooling has now started and we expect First Shots and Engineering Samples before mid September." The photo shows someone working on an SR Maunsell coach. Could it be the later 30's smooth side coaches or a catering vehicle? High Corridor window SR green versions?

Bachmann better get busy and finish the Birdcage Trio and maybe the Bulleid coaches.

Gated stock is not needed on my chosen Southern route. I still have a pair on order.

Now if they would only revise/expand the Rivarossi line of shorty passenger cars to build true 68' (not 60') round roof Harriman coaches instead of CNJ shorties in HO.  They might even conquer the US market.

As I need some SP Harrmans  I agree

And a Black Bentley saloon in the box set too,

Photographic background by you know who,

Wheezing up the line from Lyme,

No chance of Axminster on time,

Better add another of the Radials

Clever Hornby, yet more sales ...

The Oxford Diecast Ivo Peters Bently is dark blue, which certainly would look black in B&W photos but one assumes the blue is correct.

• Like 1

The thought of spending fifty five quid each on a number of brass kits and then becoming sufficiently competent to build one is enough to encourage me to cut and shut.  Before someone tells me that it's easy when you know how and that it's the bounden duty of each generation of modellers to acquire proficiency in these Dark Arts (!), pre-retirement I am just not going to have the time or money to master anything in brass.  Nothing against it, in fact I believe etched brass coach construction to be something to aspire to.  I admire it, I approve of it entirely, and, one day, I will try it. Rather, it's just what seems practical in my particular circumstances. 

So, I will study these coaches with a view to where to saw them into bits!

• Like 7