Prices increases at a well known retailer!

DaveClass47

I am also still puzzled as to why Hattons spent a lot of money on Smithdown Road store then suddenly found "structural faults" and, in effect, became mainly an online only dealer. My cynical side thinks this was just to reduce the costs of operating a shop in Liverpool.

I agree with other posts that Hattons are no longer the cheapest online retailer.

There is nothing cynical about it. The costs of having a shop in the middle of a big town in terms of rates and rent are really high compared to having a business unit (with far more space and ease of access) outside town (most super markets do the same after all). This helps them to be a cheaper retailer too.

I see a lot of complaints even from politicians wondering why the high streets are dying but doing little/nothing to reduce rates and rent in the area and even introduce anti pollution laws about trucks being unable to enter or needing to be electric plus making parking nigh on impossible too. Likewise declared Charity shops probably don't have the rates part which explains why these litter the high streets. Another recent fashion in towns is people turning garages into living space and parking the car in the road with a residence permit compounding the parking problem.

How a model shop is supposed to set up and grow in such a situation, the mind boggles. Most pick places away from the centre or in small towns.

There are quite a lot of complexities opening a business. For example, imagine I want to manufacture model trains in my spare time. To have a company name, I need to have an address at a declared property which instantly throws in a lot of rates, social charges etc... But a new model takes 2 years and I won't have any income until that time nor any real need of a business property until it is delivered (you can have a PO box - which is never popular with customers).

• Like 1

I doubt there is anything cynical about it at all. 

You are talking about a prime piece of real estate in one of the most affluent parts of the country in regards of retail opportunities. There are not many empty premises in the Allerton Road area. Slapbang in the middle of one of the biggest student areas in the country, not to mention tourist areas. The place is a goldmine.

If there wasn't anything wrong with it, then why hasn't it been sold or leased? I'm sure somebody would want to turn it into a wine bar/restaurant/juice bar/coffee shop/hipster place (delete as applicable).

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Hattons is a shop, not a charity. I keep returning to the fundamental truth that if you don't like their prices or service then shop somewhere lese. They don't have a monopoly. For what it's worth I think some of the prices they charge for second hand tat is silly but they're not the only shop doing that and it is simple enough to just not buy. If people pay the prices asked then you can't really blame Hattons for charging them. This may be a revelation, but there are shops beyond the big box shifters. I nowadays rarely buy anything from the big outfits that get all the bandwidth here as I like other shops that have provided superb service and/or have much better websites, that's just my choice and is no more right or wrong than those who are loyal customers of Hattons, Kernow, Rails etc.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Kernow MRC is a box-shifter now??? :O

I doubt they shift ten per cent of what the real box-shifters do. They are a modest High Street retailer. But they are high profile on the back of a strong business model.

• RMweb Gold

Kernow MRC is a box-shifter now??? :O

I doubt they shift ten per cent of what the real box-shifters do. They are a modest High Street retailer. But they are high profile on the back of a strong business model.

True, but they often parallel the big boys on price, at least on some items.

I was contemplating one item that both they and Hatton's had priced at £149.99. The price subsequently jumped by over £40, at both suppliers, though probably not simultaneously.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Box shifter is considered a pejorative term by some but the reason these shops do a lot of on-line business is that they provide a good service at good prices. If they didn't they wouldn't have so many customers. Rails and Hattons are also local shops for those who live nearby.