Pencarne, = BLT from page 54

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

You would never need to uncouple them as they are in rakes, and buffer lock shouldn't be an issue unless you have used short turnouts. If it was, you could replace the buffers with some closer to scale (and better looking) ones from Lanarkshire.

Aesthetically, three links / instanters look far better than anything else out there. For my next project they will be used within rakes with AJ's on the end wagons and those that need to be split for loose shunting

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots Andy. I have the same Ivatt 2 loco, it is such a nice looking loco, particularly in green.

Mine will run on Horrabridge when no-ones looking! I suspect in reality the line would have been too lightly built for her to operate.m

How far down did the Ivatt 2 tender engines get?

Kind regards,

Nick.

Almost certainly never cleared (by test) for Horrabridge but basically ok as they were 'Yellow' for Route avaiability.

• RMweb Gold

Haven't we been there before with 3-links in 00 ? Eyesight / Buffer-lock etc etc, (now 7mm that's different hahahaha)  they do look really good though, that GWR layout we were drooling over all day at Nottingham had them on all the stock...

Buffer lock can be sorted by soldering/glueing a very thin wire across the buffer faces and painting it black. In the middle of fixed rakes it won't be that visible and certainly a lot better than tension lock. I saw it on Broad Aston in 1972 and I m sure I have seen it somewhere on RMweb too.

Paul.

Thanks Guys for all your input, I am going to give 3 Links a try for the intermediate wagons on the Clays, I was going to use them on everything but I had a go a few weeks ago without much joy, as Jason says, in the middle of a fixed Rake should be fine, all the Points are Large Radius so it will be O.K.

Mike, what's Yellow Route availability. Me no understandie :O 

Think it's the old route availability system that the Western used. If you look at the cab side of a "King" you'll see a red dot above the number plate. Presume red is the most restrictive. These days we just use the RA system which is the axel loading of a vehicle. Eg class 37 is RA 5 but heavier class 66 is RA 7. Some of our JNA stone wagons when loaded come in at RA 10 and usually have a lot of restrictions over bridges etc.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Marcus, so I guess Yellow could go almost anywhere?

The system was based on maximum axleload (but not physical clearance such as height or width - but the BR RA system is just the same in that respect as was the LNER system).

GW System

Uncoloured (i.e. no coloured disc carried on the engine) = maximum axleload up to 14 tons

Yellow - maximum axleload up to 16 tons

Blue    - maximum axleload up to  17tons 12 cwt

Red     - all engines over 17tons 12 cwt maximum axleload except 'King' Classu

Double Red - 'King Class, axleload 22tons 10cwt

GWR Routes were thus classified by the same system - each section of route, branch line etc being given a code which matched the above (er, more or less - see below).

This was the situation in August 1938 -

Hatched Red -  522 miles  14% of the GWR Network

Red               -  1,280 miles 34%

Dotted Red   -   295 miles    8%

Blue              -   320 miles    9%

Dotted Blue  -   150 miles    4%

Yellow           -   695 miles    18%

Uncoloured   -   495 miles    13%

Broadly Hatched Red was route open to Double Red engines;  Dotted Red meant open to Red engines but at a maximum speed of 20 mph;  Dotted Blue meant open to Blue engines but limited to a maximum speed of 25mph.

Over the years routes were upgraded (e.g the Cambran main line was upgraded from Yellow to Blue during WWI) while in soem cases engines changed although ostensibly still in a different wight category (e.g. 57XX/8750 panniers were reclassified from Blue to Yellow post 1948 due to their minimal hammer blow).

In my OO life, Buckfastleigh was as authentic as my abilities were able to make it. (Allowing that Staverton and Ashburton were connected at each end!) It allowed the usual short goods and passenger trains along with autos, etc. However, I was not above having the unusual appear every now and again just for fun; see, Evening Star at Buckfastleigh!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete, Don't worry, there will be MORE, as Warships and Hymek's will do the Through Bristol / Padstow Service sometimes.

Hi Andy

Warships and Hymeks are red dot locos. Is the Pencarne line cleared for the heavy weights?

I'm ready to be corrected, but I think only the main and Newquay lines were red. So its unlikely that this would be if it were GWR built. And if it were LSWR then it's beyond Meldon, so probably not open to heavy stuff that way either...

But you know, run what you like, no one will complain.

Well the T9 has just popped through the Letter Box, (well NO not literally, the Postie rang the Door Bell). Its been unpacked and as its Chip fitted its just had a we run down the Line, it's got a very slight noise to it, so I'll check for lubrication and take it up the Club after Easter and give it a run on our Clubs 41ft x 12ft Layout for an Hour or so.

It does look nice though.

Archived