Pencarne, = BLT from page 54

Andrew P

Going slightly OT, sorry. It's probably really obvious when I find out but what does the ' RU ' stand for on the Brake Vans?

A very good question,

NOT A BLOOMIN CLUE, BUT I think I know a man that will tell us soon.

MIKE................help please :O 

• RMweb Gold

A very good question,

NOT A BLOOMIN CLUE, BUT I think I know a man that will tell us soon.

MIKE................help please :O 

Lots of people say 'Restricted Use' but actually I understand the official term was 'Restricted User', i.e only that place could use that van (and of curse some were even detailed down to trains with the details painted on them).  I don't know when the term came into use or vans were branded with it as until roughly the time of the Grouping GWR brakevans were allocated individually to a particular Goods Guard and he had a set of keys for he van meaning nobody else could normally gain access to it (the spare set of keys were held by the Yard Inspector but were only to be used if the Guard's personal set were lost for some reason).

RU lasted well into BR days and I'm pretty sure saw out the working life of GWR pattern vans as good brakevans but it was officially discontinued.  I tried to get some of our specially adapted vans at Radyr in 1973 branded 'Radyr RU' but Cathays Works said there was an official Instruction prohibiting the practice so i was unsuccessful in my quest.

Lots of people say 'Restricted Use' but actually I understand the official term was 'Restricted User', i.e only that place could use that van (and of curse some were even detailed down to trains with the details painted on them).  I don't know when the term came into use or vans were branded with it as until roughly the time of the Grouping GWR brakevans were allocated individually to a particular Goods Guard and he had a set of keys for he van meaning nobody else could normally gain access to it (the spare set of keys were held by the Yard Inspector but were only to be used if the Guard's personal set were lost for some reason).

RU lasted well into BR days and I'm pretty sure saw out the working life of GWR pattern vans as good brakevans but it was officially discontinued.  I tried to get some of our specially adapted vans at Radyr in 1973 branded 'Radyr RU' but Cathays Works said there was an official Instruction prohibiting the practice so i was unsuccessful in my quest.

Thanks Real Mike, (no offence to Different Mike), You always seem to come up with not just a snippet of information, but a plethora of information, that is really interesting and useful to many of our following.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Real Mike, (no offence to Different Mike), You always seem to come up with not just a snippet of information, but a plethora of information, that is really interesting and useful to many of our following.

Thanks.

I try to assist when I can Andy (and always check from original sources whenever possible to make sure that my memory isn't playing tricks).

Afternoon  Guys, well I'm still working my way through perfecting the WTT, and doing it in short burst has given me the opportunity fine tune it. One thing I did realise quite early on was the fact the it was way to long and more like a Months running order rather than a day's. 

But at least it will be enjoyable once sorted, the time between runs hasn't been wasted as I've made a start on another small project for our Clubs Open Weekend in December and that's coming on quite well now.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon  Guys, well I'm still working my way through perfecting the WTT, and doing it in short burst has given me the opportunity fine tune it. One thing I did realise quite early on was the fact the it was way to long and more like a Months running order rather than a day's. 

But at least it will be enjoyable once sorted, the time between runs hasn't been wasted as I've made a start on another small project for our Clubs Open Weekend in December and that's coming on quite well now.

Nothing wrong with having an overlong 'day', Andy. The whole point about a WTT sequence is that the operator can start or stop when other matters in his/her day intervene, like lunch, shopping, golf, worship, whatever. Then when he/she returns the layout is sitting there with the next move ready to be made, everything in its place. If you look at the Peterborough North thread, Great Northern, who has rather a lot of trains, goes through a WTT that seems to take forever. No less fun!

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong with having an overlong 'day', Andy. The whole point about a WTT sequence is that the operator can start or stop when other matters in his/her day intervene, like lunch, shopping, golf, worship, whatever. Then when he/she returns the layout is sitting there with the next move ready to be made, everything in its place. If you look at the Peterborough North thread, Great Northern, who has rather a lot of trains, goes through a WTT that seems to take forever. No less fun!

And you can 'cancel' (CAPE in railway speak) freights when you feel like it or run specials.

Cheers Ian and Mike, once again, a lot of common sense that I overlooked, I was conscious of getting stock in the WRONG PLACE but of course that is what happens in the REAL WORLD.

Cheers Guys.

Quiet morning, I've got a new Air Brush and needed to do a Weathering job.

Here's the Old AB top and the new one below, really pleased with it, it goes down to .02 for a fine line spray if required.

post-9335-0-99362000-1459851417_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-67215700-1459851459_thumb.jpg

First thing to try it on was a Syphon H so just a little along the underframe and lower body, subtle and just enough to take away the new look.

post-9335-0-56991600-1459851559_thumb.jpg

Next up was to Weather some TTA Tanks for a Club Member, he already had the Coaches that go with the Weed Killing Train but wanted the Tanks to match, I think I've got them about right. Using Tamyia Acrylics I started with a Yellow Sand and added some Flat Earth, Its come out almost perfect, I hope he likes them, he wanted DIRTY but still able to see the writing and colours etc.

post-9335-0-90235300-1459851808_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-63718900-1459851852_thumb.jpg

Off out with the Dogs now whilst the Good Lady does the Food Shopping, then back for another PLAY on Pen later.

23:45 since I restarted reading the thread (at page 42)!

It's amazing seeing how far the layouts come! It looks amazing, and it's great that you get lots of enjoyment out of operating. Now... If only I could get off my backside and start baseboard construction for Dunoon Mk6!

Now... I've read through Pencarne Junction/Pencarne, Port Merryn, North Road... Now to see if I got all the way through Whittaker Street... And then read all the other threads! I'm particularly looking forward to reading Bitton, given the handlaid track.

And in the time I've been typing, you've added another reply!! Time to take a look!

Keep up the great work!

Peter

EDIT - 23 hours 50 minutes!

23:45 since I restarted reading the thread (at page 42)!

It's amazing seeing how far the layouts come! It looks amazing, and it's great that you get lots of enjoyment out of operating. Now... If only I could get off my backside and start baseboard construction for Dunoon Mk6!

Now... I've read through Pencarne Junction/Pencarne, Port Merryn, North Road... Now to see if I got all the way through Whittaker Street... And then read all the other threads! I'm particularly looking forward to reading Bitton, given the handlaid track.

And in the time I've been typing, you've added another reply!! Time to take a look!

Keep up the great work!

Peter

EDIT - 23 hours 50 minutes!

Thanks Peter, that was some mammoth task, I switched on this morning to 129 LIKES all from you I think, and then another 60+ just now.

I wouldn't worry to much about Whittaker St, it was what I wanted but would have never satisfied my love of Shunting enough.

Bitton was fun with the Hand Built points which I still have in the draw ready for another project some day and I also have half a box of SMP track as well, just in case? Again with Bitton it didn't have the Shunt ability  that I was craving.

Have fun with your reading but also make a start on your own Modelling mate.

Thanks Peter, that was some mammoth task, I switched on this morning to 129 LIKES all from you I think, and then another 60+ just now.

I wouldn't worry to much about Whittaker St, it was what I wanted but would have never satisfied my love of Shunting enough.

Bitton was fun with the Hand Built points which I still have in the draw ready for another project some day and I also have half a box of SMP track as well, just in case? Again with Bitton it didn't have the Shunt ability  that I was craving.

Have fun with your reading but also make a start on your own Modelling mate.

Thanks, I will. As for starting my own modelling, I have 7 pounds (14 aud) to buy baseboards... something tells me that's not enough for 4m of baseboards :D plus an extra bit for a control panel!

Nice work there Andy. Are you an enamel man?

Kind regards,

Nick.

Not really Nick, I use Enamels for Dry Brush weathering on things like the Brown Vans etc, but when Spaying I prefer Acrylics, far less odour and easier to clean the Air Brush under the outside tap.

I've got a pack of Telegraph Poles somewhere, but I've been through every box and so far cant find them, I wanted to put some into the Cutting this morning so instead I've been working on North Road.

I need to lift the first bit of Track into the Mileage siding as the Magnets there are a bit to strong, I thought they would be O.K. once ballasted, but they still attract the Wagon Axels.

Hi andy

Like the new air brush, good investment.... sorry if I'm a bit thick but what make is the air brush as mine is getting a bit worn out to be honest 

Hi Martin, Thanks, no name on the AB, but I searched and found it at a company in Birmingham called Prostoragers for £14.95 inc Postage, Item No 221418174947, so very pleased with that.

I need to lift the first bit of Track into the Mileage siding as the Magnets there are a bit to strong, I thought they would be O.K. once ballasted, but they still attract the Wagon Axels.

Andy,

ballast (as well as sleepers) will not interfere with magnetic force (iron/steel will).

It is the distance that is essential.

And as long as the wagon axles are made of steel, one will get trouble (ask how I know).

{Armin pedantic mode off now}

I like really much what you achieve with this layout, follow with interest, can learn a lot.

Armin

Andy,

ballast (as well as sleepers) will not interfere with magnetic force (iron/steel will).

It is the distance that is essential.

And as long as the wagon axles are made of steel, one will get trouble (ask how I know).

{Armin pedantic mode off now}

I like really much what you achieve with this layout, follow with interest, can learn a lot.

Armin

Thanks Armin, all the other Magnets are fine but these are a bit bigger so I need to replace them.

Hi Martin, Thanks, no name on the AB, but I searched and found it at a company in Birmingham called Prostoragers for £14.95 inc Postage, Item No 221418174947, so very pleased with that.

Thanks for that Andy have to say thats a 'bargain' at that price and it sounds of though it works well will look it up 

Many thanks my good friend

Afternoon all, Well I had an hour in the Old Potting Shed this morning before coffee and going for a walk along the Canal with the Dogs.

I also found the LOST Telegraph Poles, I thought I had 6 but it was only four so I do need to buy some more to finish the Village. Once trimmed to two Bars and painted they were fitted.

post-9335-0-39522200-1460291260_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-85534500-1460291276_thumb.jpg

Archived