Pencarne, = BLT from page 54

Andrew P

John/ Andrew,

I think I see Kaydee couplers on most of Andrews stock in recent photos (just like your approach John), and I was wondering how Andrew is finding them in terms of enhancing the operations of his layout. John and I have commented on the importance of a good automatic couplers before in assisting a layout reach its potential; how are you finding it Andrew?

It seems to me that both your gentlemen have proved that kaydees fit the bill well and that their ease of operation outweigh their non-British appearance...would that be a fair assessment?

regards, Andy R

Hi Andy, my preference is to use Kadees when I can, I still have some bits that are not converted, but that's more due to time than ability.

They look o.k. on Diesels, and on Tenders of Steamers but I don't like them on the front of Steamers, but I still think operationally the bad looks on the front is outweighed by the good operation.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Hi Andy, my preference is to use Kadees when I can, U still have some bits that are not converted, but that's more due to time than ability.

They look o.k. on Diesels, and on Tenders of Steamers but I don't like them on the front of Steamers, but I still think operationally the bad looks on the front out ways the good operation

A kadee at least looks like it belongs on a train, though on a short 4 wheel wagon it's a bit odd.

Not as though a tension lock is any more realistic looking. And I admire anyone using 3 links in O, never mind OO - must be enthusiastic squinters...

Anyway, I've been enjoying the latest batch of operating shots. I've always liked the LSWR beyond Salisbury, which this definitely is. All south western BLTs should have green coaches, IMO...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm happy to endorse all Andy's proposed new locos as great models, but the S15 would never have been allowed this far west, I think. Meldon Viaduct has a lot to answer for!

And both my O2s and my 0298s are fine runners with sensible length trains, albeit on a fairly level layout.

• Like 3

A kadee at least looks like it belongs on a train, though on a short 4 wheel wagon it's a bit odd.

Not as though a tension lock is any more realistic looking. And I admire anyone using 3 links in O, never mind OO - must be enthusiastic squinters...

Anyway, I've been enjoying the latest batch of operating shots. I've always liked the LSWR beyond Salisbury, which this definitely is. All south western BLTs should have green coaches, IMO...

Thanks Zomboid, I agree about Kadee's on 4 wheelers but as the Layout is fairly strait I can get away with 17's & 18's on most stock, so they don't look to bad.

I'm happy to endorse all Andy's proposed new locos as great models, but the S15 would never have been allowed this far west, I think. Meldon Viaduct has a lot to answer for!

And both my O2s and my 0298s are fine runners with sensible length trains, albeit on a fairly level layout.

Thanks for that Ian, that'll save me a few quid, ALTHOUGH my Q1 may get a run down there :O  as Nine Elm's wanted to see if they would be any use in Cornwall :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, do you have any water facilities for your steamers? I seem to think a while back your were contemplating a tower. No doubt at some point during their shunting the locos will take on water?

Hi Andy, do you have any water facilities for your steamers? I seem to think a while back your were contemplating a tower. No doubt at some point during their shunting the locos will take on water?

Yes your quite correct Jonathan, it will be on the base at the Headshunt, It's a Ratio Round type. and will go on here.

post-9335-0-49290300-1458588388_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6

I know I have asked this before but are you going to have a cattle dock?

I've been giving that some though Clive, I need to find a home for one somewhere if I can, it was going to go along side the Baby Platform Line opposite the Cottages, but I rather like the Grass embankment now, that that may still change at a later date, unless someone comes up with a better place for it.

• Like 1

Great layout Andy . Really enjoying your photos and updates . What a brilliant idea to run to a 'time table' keep up the excellent work , all the best , Kev

Yes thanks for that Kev, it will be a running order to represent a very busy day, in reality far to much movement for a real Station and Goods Yard but more enjoyable that just running ANY OLD TRAIN just for the sake of it, it adds a purpose to the Layout and Stock.

Thanks for looking in, and your posting.

I see the nice Morris J2 Camper still parked up in the field Andy - Thought that you would appreciate seeing this one, its a 1963 model (Did you sell any of these ?), they were very nice Inside.

Cheers, Bob.

post-10578-0-73031700-1458592525_thumb.jpg

post-10578-0-97104800-1458592536_thumb.jpg

post-10578-0-76316500-1458592549_thumb.jpg

post-10578-0-45261800-1458592564_thumb.jpg

post-10578-0-59611200-1458592580_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobster
  • Like 9

I see the nice Morris J2 Camper still parked up in the field Andy - Thought that you would appreciate seeing this one, its a 1963 model (Did you sell any of these ?), they were very nice Inside.

Cheers, Bob.

BOB, How bloomin Old do you think I am,           I was 13 in 1963, hhahahha

No, I was only in Car Sales from the age of about 27 and in BLMC Car and Commercial Workshops as an Apprentice.

Some great photos there Andy.

Good to hear that you're enjoying operating it

Hi Andy

Thanks for all the fantastic photos showing a day in the life of Pencarne.

The info describing each working really brings the layout to life...

More excellent photos Andy. Really glad that your finding Pencarne a joy to operate as I know how important that was to you. It really is looking fantastic.

Cheers

Marcus

Regards

Alan

Cheers Marcus, Alan and Steve, good to see you Guys still enjoying Pen.

???????????????????DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENED ABOVE?

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

No, I was only in Car Sales from the age of about 27 and in BLMC Car and Commercial Workshops as an Apprentice.

I don't remember much from 1963, my dad was 12 so he might! Hahahah

You love it really Andy! ;-) (I do enjoy reading this thread!)

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 3

Hahahaha  .... I was only 11, but I do remember them well into the 70s ...... I think you could get them for a couple of hundred quid then ..... But needed some work Hahaha.

Cheers, Bob.