The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Gold

In theory, zip merging is the most efficient way, if everybody is of the same mind, zip merging could be carried out at virtually any speed, but, hey, like that's ever going to happen.

Mike.

The Highway Code only recommends zip merging at low speed.

Rule 134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But people are not law - or ethics - enforcers.

Your comment here contradicts your criticism of the dash cam mans behaviour.

No it doesn't this is just people forcing a zip merge, seen it on A30 Bodmin Moor.

Signs say zip merge, people do it, odd person tries to go past the merge but get blocked so have to merge properly.

I was there inside lane and let 1 car in, that is what we all did, merged well.Saw a few cars give up trying to get further ahead of the merge

• RMweb Premium

Really ? Do ttell us exactly what was happening behind the lorry which makes you so sure that slowing down would be safe - perhaps the caravan had a brother who was trying to push in behind the lorry and by slowing the lorry would have been rear ended -but from the information we have we simply don't know.

The SAFEST action was for the plonker with the caravan to continue and either double back or find an alternate route - PERIOD.

Because letting off on your throttle on a slip road or approaching one is to be expected.

It is a case of managing the poor driving not ramming them.

Not worth the mess or delay from not gently slowing down

• RMweb Premium

When those roadworks were happening in Birmingham, it was often far quicker to go to the next junction, do a U-turn then join the M5 south from the M6 west. I believe the highway code also says that if you miss your junction, you should proceed to the next one and double back there, not attempt a dangerous and illegal banzai maneuver.

People don't always think straight, and sometimes queues are starting before the previous junction, M42 near NEC can be horrific.

People drive like knobs, best to not crash into them

• RMweb Premium

In theory, zip merging is the most efficient way, if everybody is of the same mind, zip merging could be carried out at virtually any speed, but, hey, like that's ever going to happen.

Mike.

Merge where it tells you, the one I use is a DC going single carriageway

Dash cams have more or less 120deg field of view, whereas human fov is much less, about 55 deg, but at varying resolution, hence we move our eyes/head to take in the view. Not saying it applies to any case mentioned here, but in a slow moving queue, and elsewhere,  you'll most likely be looking directly ahead at the vehicle in front, but the dash cam can show stuff happening to the side, which you may not see at the time.

The other aspect of a wide angle lens, it tends to make things look further away, and it is not so obvious on a video from such a cam, that someone has cut you up.

Necessarily so, it's lowest common denominator that defines the merge speed.

Strangely of course 'zip merging' is exactly the manoeuvre required to join the motorway and many dual carriageways from the slip road. If a ten+ year old Volvo takes the slip road I want ahead of me, and the driver has any or all of  a flat cap, pipe or large grey barnet in evidence, I'll execute any safe move available to avoid their braking to 15mph manoeuvre for joining the 70mph traffic stream.

This 'zip merge inability' ought to be inspected for regularly between 10am and 2.30pm at motorway on ramps, and the perpetrators unlicensed on the spot.

Rule 134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

In London and the Home Counties, this usually means "walking / crawling speed".

• RMweb Premium

Dash cams have more or less 120deg field of view, whereas human fov is much less, about 55 deg, but at varying resolution, hence we move our eyes/head to take in the view. Not saying it applies to any case mentioned here, but in a slow moving queue, and elsewhere,  you'll most likely be looking directly ahead at the vehicle in front, but the dash cam can show stuff happening to the side, which you may not see at the time.

The other aspect of a wide angle lens, it tends to make things look further away, and it is not so obvious on a video from such a cam, that someone has cut you up.

Sadly you're probably right but a driver should never be looking just straight ahead, especially in busy traffic, whether its urban or a motorway queue, he should be checking his mirrors and constantly aware of whats going on - there may be a motorcycle filtering through, an ambulance making its way through stationary traffic, etc.  It sounds like "effort" or "hard work" to most people, having to constantly do things like look in your mirrors (all three!) but it makes it so much easier to drive, as you don't then end up in a panic because something unexpected has happened, or because you need to react to something but don't know how because you're not aware of your surroundings.  Compare the last minute panic of  "can I swerve, is there a car alongside me, what about the other way,...?" with already knowing lane 2 is clear and having seen the problem develop ahead and knowing you can safely take evasive action to your right to avoid it.  Much easier, much less stressful.

• RMweb Premium

People don't always think straight, and sometimes queues are starting before the previous junction, M42 near NEC can be horrific.

People drive like knobs, best to not crash into them

I once read that the best way to avoid knobs people is to drive on the grass verge.......

If someone only has 55 degrees of vision then they ought to be getting medical help, as that would constitute quite severe tunnel vision. I just tested my vision which is quite normal, and I have at least 180 degrees field of view, i.e when looking dead ahead I can simultaneously see objects 90 degrees to the left of me and 90 degrees to the right, albeit not with the highest of resolution.

• RMweb Premium

Compare the last minute panic of  "can I swerve, is there a car alongside me, what about the other way,...?" with already knowing lane 2 is clear and having seen the problem develop ahead and knowing you can safely take evasive action to your right to avoid it.  Much easier, much less stressful.

I call it "know where your escape route is...."

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I once read that the best way to avoid knobs people is to drive on the grass verge.......

Hi

Someone once did that to me. I was driving home along a reasonable B road that has a slight hill. On reaching the top of the hill I saw a car coming on my side of the road (the other side was completely clear). I didn't change sides as I didn't know what they would do and they went past me on the grass verge and carried on over the hill on the wrong side of the road. This was before mobile phones and when I got home I rang the police but there wasn't much they could do by then.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Someone once did that to me. I was driving home along a reasonable B road that has a slight hill. On reaching the top of the hill I saw a car coming on my side of the road (the other side was completely clear). I didn't change sides as I didn't know what they would do and they went past me on the grass verge and carried on over the hill on the wrong side of the road. This was before mobile phones and when I got home I rang the police but there wasn't much they could do by then.

Something similar happened to me when I was a child (my dad driving, not me obviously). On a single track road, came around a corner face-to-face with two motorbikes on the wrong side. The first scrambled through on the verge, the second came off but was unhurt. Understandably my dad was furious (the prospect of a motorbike through the windscreen into his children not being good for his temper) but I don't know if anything else came of it. I remember there being someone in a nearby house who saw it and said he was prepared to be a witness.

• RMweb Gold

There is a merge point at Milton Interchange A34 if you head onto Milton Park, this has signs saying "merge in turn" located on a bend....interesting moment of head scratching for me as a novice driver (over a decade ago I hasten to add) :

Does it mean merge like a zip or merge on the turn....