RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes, they don't call them "P45 mirrors" for nothing you know!

I once had the "opportunity" to hit the "Break Glass for Fire Extinguisher" panel.  Did everything right.  Investigate.  Passengers off.  Get extinguisher.  Spray foam.  Wasn't til they looked at the CCTV afterwards that someone asked "At what point did you switch off the master switch?" I realised I'd left the engine running and electrics on, whilst spraying a burning USB socket with foam...

With foam you should be OK.

A water fire extinguisher....not so good....

• RMweb Premium

With foam you should be OK.

A water fire extinguisher....not so good....

It isn't exactly high voltage (a pair of USB phone chargers), but I can assure you that not only should I be OK, but I most definitely am OK  :danced:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Shouldn't normally illuminate, then. Only supposed to light up if you have manual choke, I think.

Obviously I don’t know what Phil drives, but I’d be astounded if any car in the last 20 years has had a ‘manual choke warning light’!

Funnily enough I had another experience with a cyclist, on my way to work in my car this time, a week or two later.  I was following him, on a wide-ish road, with traffic islands.  The car in front of me passed safely, I hung back as there was an island, then as we passed, he moved out to his right slightly, at the point where I was going to start to overtake him.  He hadn't looked over his shoulder, I tapped the horn, and got a gesture in return.  He caught me up at the next roundabout, pulled alongside.  He was a little frustrated, and told me he'd been moving out to pass a pothole.  Sensible.  I explained out that I didn't think he'd seen me, and sounded a warning to him, as I didn't know his intention, and suggested he make a clearer gesture of looking over his shoulder in future, so car drivers knew he was aware of them.  Slightly caught off guard, he agreed that might be a good idea, apologised for his gesture, and rode off!

Not defending gesticulating, but it’s an understandable response, he’s within his right to swerve, common sense dictates he looks over his shoulder first, but much like you checking your mirror whilst taking evasive action, sometimes self preservation kicks in first. Given how few people use their horn for anything other than angry ‘notification of presence’!

• RMweb Gold

So called ‘High Speed’ tractors can be driven at 40mph on UK roads.

To qualify they, and any trailers they tow, must meet any relevant HGV standards. This includes having full suspension, dual line air brakes, appropriate tyres and lighting.

Currently ony two models comply, the JCB Fastrac and the Mercedes Unimog.

Lot of tractors round here doing 40mph. And they are not JCB or Mercs.

• Like 1

As a motorist who has recently taken up cycling again (for its health benefits), in my experience the majority of drivers do treat cyclists with reasonable care, and I in turn try to keep out of their way as much as possible. Regarding JDW's incident with the cyclist avoiding a pothole, road surface defects which would not affect a vehicle can be absolutely lethal to a cyclist, and there is not always time, when spotting such a problem, to look behind; At any reasonable speed, by the time you have checked whether it is safe to pull out you will be over the defect, and quite likely off your bike ! I do wonder how many motorists who berate cyclists for getting in their way have cycled themselves, either recently or indeed at all; Perhaps the driving test should include a section on cycling along a busy, pot-hole inflicted road, to aid understanding ?

• Like 2

Regarding JDW's incident with the cyclist avoiding a pothole, road surface defects which would not affect a vehicle can be absolutely lethal to a cyclist, and there is not always time, when spotting such a problem, to look behind; At any reasonable speed, by the time you have checked whether it is safe to pull out you will be over the defect, and quite likely off your bike !

Hence the 1.5m clearance... 

The handbrake on warning light on my car does not go out until the lever is pushed right to the floor. I have sometimes spotted it on despite the handbrake being completely off. I did have a warning symbol come up in a corner of the dash the other day but it has since disappeared. It was amber rather than red and shaped like an old fashioned gas tap. I have no idea what it was supposed to indicate, I checked the lights, oil and water and even the screenwashers and all was OK.

Old fashioned gas tap? I can't find anything like that in several online sites illustrating car dashboard signal (the Sun do one, presumably for their more intelligent readers).

A drawing might help.

Regarding JDW's incident with the cyclist avoiding a pothole, road surface defects which would not affect a vehicle can be absolutely lethal to a cyclist, and there is not always time, when spotting such a problem, to look behind; At any reasonable speed, by the time you have checked whether it is safe to pull out you will be over the defect, and quite likely off your bike !

Lord Denning, in dismissing a case brought against a cyclist in 1957, stated: "A cyclist is entitled to his wobble".  I'm not sure whether this actually established a legal precedent (aka case law - which I think depends on the seniority of the court involved) but it would seem to translate almost directly into modern advice to leave at least 1.5m between your vehicle and a cyclist when passing.   1.5m is almost exactly 5ft in old money, so should not be particularly difficult to grasp even for those who struggle with these new-fangled units of measurement.

One problem with this is that far too many drivers seem to have no idea of the true size of their vehicle.

On the other hand, I'd suggest that most drivers seem to think that their vehicle is bigger than it really is.  I see this almost daily while waiting for my bus in the morning.  The stop is on a busy, single carriageway, four-lane road (two lanes in each direction).  There is a right turn in to a housing estate and commercial premises fifty yards or so away in the direction the bus comes from, so I am usually looking that way.  I really makes we wonder about the competence of some drivers whenever I see a tailback build up behind a vehicle waiting to turn right there simply because the driver of the vehicle behind doesn't think they can get past on the inside - when I can clearly see that they have plenty of clear space at either side.

Perhaps this apparent general tendency could be interpreted as meaning that uncomfortably close passes are almost always deliberate, rather than careless?  But I wouldn't want to have to defend that idea against deeper scrutiny.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

......far too many drivers seem to have no idea of the true size of their vehicle.

On the other hand, I'd suggest that most drivers seem to think that their vehicle is bigger than it really is.  I see this almost daily while waiting for my bus in the morning.  The stop is on a busy, single carriageway, four-lane road (two lanes in each direction).  There is a right turn in to a housing estate and commercial premises fifty yards or so away in the direction the bus comes from, so I am usually looking that way.  I really makes we wonder about the competence of some drivers whenever I see a tailback build up behind a vehicle waiting to turn right there simply because the driver of the vehicle behind doesn't think they can get past on the inside - when I can clearly see that they have plenty of clear space at either side.....

This works both ways, and I see plenty of drivers straddling the middle of the road even when there's no oncoming traffic, and even when the available width of the road is more than enough for two cars to pass each other.

• RMweb Premium

Also common with vegans and fighter pilots

Luckily I never came across a jaguar owning, vegan fighter pilot, though I did come across a few Jaguar fighter pilots...

post-15969-0-89609100-1509021215.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Ah. The 'check engine' light. Well, I opened the bonnet and checked and yes the engine was still there. What more does the damn thing want from me?

Usually it means, turn off the engine, take out the key. Wait a couple of minutes, restart and see what happens. If stays, continue as normal. If it stays on, turn off engine & repeat, except leave for 5 minutes. If still no good, time to call for assistance.

Happened to me once, by the time the roadside assist got there (1/2 an hour later), it came good & never once missed a beat again. Sometimes the electronics, just gets confused.