RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

I do not know what's going on here. The silver BMW is driving with hazards on and smoking a long gone rear tyre.

The stench of burning rubber was something else.

Presumably the driver knows the car is crippled and is (hopefully) driving at a low(er) speed with hazards on while they try and reach a place of safety to stop (or perhaps is local and is trying to make it home).

That would be my supposition.

Presumably the driver knows the car is crippled and is (hopefully) driving at a low(er) speed with hazards on while they try and reach a place of safety to stop (or perhaps is local and is trying to make it home).

That would be my supposition.

I've done about a mile single-track on a flat to find somewhere to change it and the tyre was merely flat. The smoke doesn't show up much on the video but this guy was like he was desperate to finish the last lap of a grand Prix.

He'd obviously passed more than one place where he could have stopped and now likely needs a new wheel as well as maybe bodywork from the flapping tyre shreds.

Just seems bizarre.

• RMweb Premium

There is a certain type of driver who is obsessed with rule 264 of the highway code. This appears to be the only part of the highway code they know or pay any attention to but it seems to have the power of a religious belief for them. This allows them to drive dangerously fast as they weave in and out of traffic, make a point of lane discipline by veering across lanes as they return to the left lane, see no need of signals or separation from any cars in front etc while getting worked up into a fit of self righteous indignation about middle lane drivers.

I saw one yesterday on the M54, I was in the left hand lane at 70 and somebody overtook me like I was hardly moving then proceeded to weave in and out as they veered back into the left hand lane after each overtake. I actually comply with the left hand rule myself but I see far worse and more dangerous habits than sitting in the middle lane at 70. Sitting in the middle lane at 50 however is both annoying and not helping road safety (I have seen it more than once, causing mayhem).

• RMweb Premium

My Audi is the best car I have ever had, not having indicators or a rear view mirror allows me to concentrate on breaking the speed limit safely. My biggest criticism is that there is an annoying chime that keeps going off telling me to wear a seat belt, I can't figure out how to make it stop.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My Audi is the best car I have ever had, not having indicators or a rear view mirror allows me to concentrate on breaking the speed limit safely. My biggest criticism is that there is an annoying chime that keeps going off telling me to wear a seat belt, I can't figure out how to make it stop.

That's easy, in the Merc I've wrapped the belt around the rear of the seat and clipped it in, stops the noise and means I can get out quickly. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pull the appropriate fuse! Of course finding the right one can be a chore, then finding that doing so, also stops the horn!

• RMweb Premium

Pull the appropriate fuse! Of course finding the right one can be a chore, then finding that doing so, also stops the horn!

That must be the same one that is connected to the indicators..........

• RMweb Premium

You will find that you will no longer hear the chime after you pass through the windscreen head first collecting the steering column with your chest on the way.

Another battle between a train and a "missing link" in charge of a road vehicle. 

attachicon.gif34822104_10160599246170438_978900905925541888_n.jpg

"mentally challenged" - A little background info

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/man-questioned-over-suffolk-level-crossing-crash-1-5555165

edit, link didnt paste

Edited by thaddeus
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I replaced them all with nails to make sure they'd never blow, good trick that, y'all should do it. Ever since I replaced my house fuses and RCD box with an old M24 bolt I've never had a fuse problem at home.

• RMweb Premium

I replaced them all with nails to make sure they'd never blow, good trick that, y'all should do it. Ever since I replaced my house fuses and RCD box with an old M24 bolt I've never had a fuse problem at home.

But there have been a couple of power outages in the MK area..............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

That's right, because the house is a smouldering ruin!

A late club member of mine, used to tell us that there was nothing to fear from electricity. Mind you he did all his early 'experiments' on 110V 5 amp wiring, in Paris in the olden days. He did die of his own hand, but electricity wasn't involved.

Personally, I treat mains electricity with the respect it deserves.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Electricity is just smoke, I know that because when a digger bucket goes through a cable that's all you get.

Don't need smoke to create havoc. In Sydney the other day, an excavator went through 4 cables, which involved 1560 fibre optic strands apparently.

Hope he has good insurance, or can pass the blame to someone else!

• RMweb Premium

Don't need smoke to create havoc. In Sydney the other day, an excavator went through 4 cables, which involved 1560 fibre optic strands apparently.

I hope he caught all the light before it leaked out.

you don't even need an excavator... in 2011 an old woman in Georgia cut through the fibre optic cables that carried the internet into Armenia... cutting it off from the world wide web.

Edited by bimble

• RMweb Premium

Before I went to London I thought spiking an HV cable was something you learnt about during HV training but would never see in practice. In London I was amazed at how many unidentified HV cables were unearthed every time anybody tried to dig up a road or build something and the local NDO was pretty good at saying since it wasn't one of their cables it must be connected to the nearby power plant.

• Like 3

Since the demise of Slaters Nissan garage around here, almost every other car is now a Mercedes, small, medium, large and whoppers, many of them driven like Morris Marina shopping trolleys.  A funeral of Mercs plodding their way to B&Q for their Wednesday 10% discount fix is one to avoid...

Edited by coachmann

I've just returned from a trip to the Dolomites.  I can report the following observations:

• FARTs (Forty All the Ruddy Time) do exist in Italy.  However, given that Italy is metric, they go at 40kph, not 40mph.  God help you if you get stuck behind one of those on a mountain pass.
  • They also have middle-lane hogs on the autostrade.  However, almost every one I saw did actually move over into lane 1 if another driver rather pointedly moved all the way back to the right after passing them.  (Their equivalents in the UK are more likely to persist in their bloody-minded behaviour, no doubt muttering some spurious justification to themselves while tut-tutting other people's inexplicable preference for driving in compliance with the Highway Code.)
  • Just like in the UK, the most homicidally dangerous drivers on the roads seem to drive white vans*.  More than once I had to haul on the anchors to avoid one halfway over on to my side of the road coming round a blind hairpin bend while apparently attempting to achieve warp speed.  I was driving a Golf, which handled pretty well - I suspect a lot better than a Fiat 15cwt van - and I wouldn't have dreamed of trying to negotiate those corners, in those vehicles, at such insane speeds.
  • Regarding said hairpin bends on said mountain passes: far too many drivers going round the outside of a hairpin bend seemed to stray towards to the apex in the process of negotiating the turn (this included locals, who should know better).  This was a little disconcerting to say the least if you were coming the other way; it's not easy to tuck in tighter when you're already pretty much on full lock just getting round the corner!  I think this is partly due to a subconscious fear of going "too close to the edge" making people turn in too early.  Approaching the bend with a little less brio would probably help.  But then we were in Italy, I suppose...
  • There were a lot of bikes about: road and mountain pedal cycles, and motorcycles.  Most of them behaved well (though some of the bikers could have done with being a little more aware of how much more space they take up towards the inside of a bend when they're leaned well over) and most of the drivers behaved safely and considerately towards them: allowing the PTWs to pass, and giving the human-powered ones plenty of room when passing or waiting to pass.  (The only driver I encountered who was recklessly inconsiderate and rude to both me, and a bunch of cyclists coming the other way, was...behind the wheel of a white van.)

In general I'd say that many of the stereotypes of Italian road users were not observed, or only very rarely observed.  Mind you, we were about as far north as you can get in the country.  My brief experience of driving in Naples suggests that it is further south that the more 'inventive' driving behaviours are most likely to be found.

* Note: Saying that all the homicidal maniacs seemed to be driving white vans is not the same saying that all white van drivers are homicidal maniacs.

• Like 7