Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

This story certainly falls into this thread... with the advantage of dashcam footage... the story title is "Van 'flies' in roundabout crash" and all injuries were non-lifethreatening... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-45515656/van-launched-into-the-air-during-attleborough-crash

EDIT: just beaten to it

Edited by bimble
  • Like 1

I had the joys of motorway driving earlier this week and not once but twice was involved in a near miss exiting the slip road. Both times due to someone 1 or 2 cars infront doing 40mph down the slip road. Que the line of traffic trying to exit the slip road causing HGV's at 56mph to dive for lane 2 etc. Both times a woman in her "senior years".

Then there's the Audi's in lane 3 doing warp speed with their radar guided cruise control set in mm and those who will stubbornly refuse to move out of the middle lane.

It's incredibly difficult to do 60-70mph I find, you need to speed match and trundle along in with the HGV's at 56mph or do 90mph+ like the Audi club.

This story certainly falls into this thread... with the advantage of dashcam footage... the story title is "Van 'flies' in roundabout crash" and all injuries were non-lifethreatening... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-45515656/van-launched-into-the-air-during-attleborough-crash

EDIT: just beaten to it

As the van started to take off, the passenger, a silver haired clean shaven male, wearing a knoted silk scarf and smoking a cheroot, turned to the driver, a large muscular man with a distinctive mohican haircut, bedecked with several large gold necklaces and with a sadonic smile purrs 'I love it when a plan comes together' Edited by rembrow
  • Like 2

When did signalling left go out of fashion, particularly at roundabouts?

After seeing so many examples of folk who obviously can't be arsed in town this morning, I've decided that when I come to power we're going to sort that out. We'll have a nationwide band of righteous Daily Mail readers empowered to stop anyone they see committing this great irritation, and tell them that their number has been noted, so that next time they're caught being idle with the indicators, they'll Named And Shamed in the paper. Then if they do it again, their car will be seized and donated to an immigrant.

No doubt someone will be clamouring for a roundabout like that to be rebuilt, as it is dangerous if you hit it.

Stewart

Whilst I don't have much sympathy for the driver (or the driver in a previous clip who got air in similar fashion), I do think that there probably is a case for investigating roundabout and road island designs that aren't so prone to launching vehicles that hit them at speed. If nothing else, it might save the poor, blameless, b*##@r on the far side of the roundabout from being squashed by 2 tonnes of plummeting metal.

Probably too busy laughing to be of any use dealing with the clart.

To be fair, the dashcam video seems to suggest that he was approaching the roundabout at quite a speed himself - quick enough maybe to tempt the eejit in the van into undertaking him....

How will that work? Most of the non signallers round my way appear to be have east European plates.

.... but are still right-hand-drive? Edited by Horsetan

"I would like to claim hardship for my client your honour"............."his van hit the roundabout very hard indeed".......

Or possibly that the van on which he depends for work was, er, damaged in the incident, affecting the ability to, er, go to work....

This is a bit like the joke about the boy who murders his entire family, then asks for leniency on the basis that he's now an orphan.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I don't have much sympathy for the driver (or the driver in a previous clip who got air in similar fashion), I do think that there probably is a case for investigating roundabout and road island designs that aren't so prone to launching vehicles that hit them at speed. If nothing else, it might save the poor, blameless, b*##@r on the far side of the roundabout from being squashed by 2 tonnes of plummeting metal.

Fill the centre of the roundabout with plenty of redundant telegraph poles.

To be fair, the dashcam video seems to suggest that he was approaching the roundabout at quite a speed himself - quick enough maybe to tempt the eejit in the van into undertaking him....

It wasn't a dashcam, it was a motorcycle helmet cam.