The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

The M11 has a long section of two-lane plus hard shoulder near Cambridge, I have no idea why. It was built in the late 1970s in open rural surroundings. 

The Peterborough Parkway mostly lacks No Entry signs to its sliproads, but it does have direction signs which direct the motorist to the correct ramp. The Gordon Arms junction is one of those “two mini roundabouts to a T junction” affairs which for some reason, suffers from frequent collisions resulting from drivers going right round the roundabout, and back along Oundle Road the way they came (not helped by the very small radius)

One thing which always bemused me, was those “multiple mini roundabout” affairs which are common in the South West...

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here in Norfolk at one time the only dual carriageway in the county,  was a 400yard long section of single carriageway in each direction with a hedge running down the middle... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, TheQ said:

Here in Norfolk at one time the only dual carriageway in the county,  was a 400yard long section of single carriageway in each direction with a hedge running down the middle... 

Presumably single lane in each direction? All dual carriageways are single carriageway in each direction...

There seems to have been a lot of "conversions" of two lane each way dual carriageways into single lane ones over the past few years, ostensibly for safety reasons. They quite often come with a reduction in speed to 50mph. I've some across a few though where they've left the national speed limit in force which I believe is 70mph for that type of road even though it's now only one lane? So now instead of allowing the slower traffic to trundle along in the inside lane and leave room for others to overtake you now get serious bunching where faster traffic cannot overtake the slower traffic and bunches up behind it. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Presumably single lane in each direction? All dual carriageways are single carriageway in each direction...

yes single lane

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bimble said:

If it's now a single carriageway, and it's "national speed limit", there is one of those for a single carriageway... and that's not 70mph...

No, it's two separate carriageways separated by a central reservation (quite a substantial one at that as it used to have two lanes for it's whole length on both sides) where the two lanes have (for some of it  some two lane still exist on both sides) been marked into one lane. So as far as I'm aware it's still a dual carriageway and governed by that speed limit. See this for further reading:

https://www.roads.org.uk/blog/what-makes-dual-carriageway

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Yep that one in Wales is like ours in Norfolk but we have hedges most of  the way, speed limit 70mph , but not really safe above 40 because  if a tractor comes out of a field...

Capture.JPG

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Hobby said:

No, it's two separate carriageways separated by a central reservation (quite a substantial one at that as it used to have two lanes for it's whole length on both sides) where the two lanes have (for some of it  some two lane still exist on both sides) been marked into one lane. So as far as I'm aware it's still a dual carriageway and governed by that speed limit. See this for further reading:

Handy shorthand road notation  - S for single, D for dual, followed by a number indicating the lanes per carriageway, M at the end if it's a motorway. So a standard single carriageway road is S2, an ordinary dual carriageway D2 and a three-lane motorway D2M. The example being described sounds like a D1 - still a dual carriageway. Think of it like Whyte notation but for roads :) Also not sure how official it is but I've seen it used elsewhere and it's handy when talking about them. Oddities with uneven numbers of lanes in both directions (such as a crawler lane) will be e.g. S2+1.

Edited by Reorte
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, TheQ said:

yes single lane

If it has a central reservation, it is a dual carriageway. I was a bit surprised when I found that out. It oes not need 2 or 3 lanes in each direction to officially be a dual.

Doesn't seem very safe to me because if something pulls out, you have nowhere to go. It does protect you from oncoming traffic though.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If it has a central reservation, it is a dual carriageway. I was a bit surprised when I found that out. It oes not need 2 or 3 lanes in each direction to officially be a dual.

Doesn't seem very safe to me because if something pulls out, you have nowhere to go. It does protect you from oncoming traffic though.

see my comment 2 posts ago..

16 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I gotcha. I thought you meant the central reservation was removed, making it a single carriageway road, not a single lane dual carriageway.

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Yep that one in Wales is like ours in Norfolk but we have hedges most of  the way, speed limit 70mph , but not really safe above 40 because  if a tractor comes out of a field...

Capture.JPG

The picture didn't turn up earlier for some reason, but yes, that's a bona fide dual carriageway, and I really wouldn't want to be doing 70 mph along there either! Any idea why on earth it was built like that?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

The picture didn't turn up earlier for some reason, but yes, that's a bona fide dual carriageway, and I really wouldn't want to be doing 70 mph along there either! Any idea why on earth it was built like that?

No idea I've tried reseaching it in the past but come up with nothing ..

• RMweb Gold

Then of course you've got the single carriageway roads with more than two lanes - like the Avenue in Southampton with four (two each way), and some stretches of various roads with three (two one way, one the other)

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Then of course you've got the single carriageway roads with more than two lanes - like the Avenue in Southampton with four (two each way), and some stretches of various roads with three (two one way, one the other)

S4 and S2+1 according to the notation above.

If you want a dodgy layout I still know of one or two short sections of S3 (there are some on the A6 in Cumbria), more commonly known as "suicide lane" for good reason so almost entirely eliminated, either being turned into a very wide standard single carriageway or S2+1. Those really were a "what were they drinking?" road layout, even in times when the roads were quieter.

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Reorte said:

S4 and S2+1 according to the notation above.

If you want a dodgy layout I still know of one or two short sections of S3 (there are some on the A6 in Cumbria), more commonly known as "suicide lane" for good reason so almost entirely eliminated, either being turned into a very wide standard single carriageway or S2+1. Those really were a "what were they drinking?" road layout, even in times when the roads were quieter.

There used to be a long section of suicide lane past BAE Samlesbury on the A59.

It was on a curve...…………………..

best advice  i was given was on my dcpc course .if you can roll a ball from the furthest left curb to the furthest right curb uninterupted its a single cariegeway no matter how many lanes it has . if the same ball hits a barrier fence hedge or raised area before completeing its journey then its a dual carriegeway no matter how many lanes it has .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, peanuts said:

best advice  i was given was on my dcpc course .if you can roll a ball from the furthest left curb to the furthest right curb uninterupted its a single cariegeway no matter how many lanes it has . if the same ball hits a barrier fence hedge or raised area before completeing its journey then its a dual carriegeway no matter how many lanes it has .

What is it when it gets stuck in a pothole?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2