The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Not totally sure that this belongs here, but it does relate to driving with someone in the boot!

A lucky escape.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/woman-found-in-car-boot-with-stab-wounds-two-women-arrested-20210203-p56z6l.html?ref=rss

An update.

It appears that the victim has also been arrested!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/queensland-arrest-warrant-issued-for-car-boot-abduction-victim-20210205-p5700k.html

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 10:00, Reorte said:

I've a degree of sympathy for the "there's no such thing as a dangerous road, only dangerous drivers" view...

I don't!

There are dangerous roads out there (just not really in the UK).  But yes, I find many drivers to be awful.

But then that's like those people who say "speed doesn't kill" - but we all know what we really mean when we say that term.

Because if we're really going that PC, may as well stop saying "near miss" because as the head of the London Underground Security told me once, the term should really be "near hit"!

I wouldn't like it, but would support some sort of "Advisory test" every 10 years.

A nominal fee but drivers go through the current driving test and an instructor (any old one, not one for tests) can advise on how to drive better.  While you shouldn't lose your license, you perhaps should get better insurance premiums if you have had this "Advisory Drive" in the last 12 months.

But then I think young drivers should be banned from driving with passengers until they're 21, UNLESS you've passed the PassPlus.

But then make sure insurance is cheaper if you've taken the PassPlus course.

Perhaps both the "Advisory Drive" and the PassPlus should be put together and make it last 2 years or so.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/02/2021 at 22:42, Sir TophamHatt said:

I don't!

There are dangerous roads out there (just not really in the UK).  But yes, I find many drivers to be awful.

But then that's like those people who say "speed doesn't kill" - but we all know what we really mean when we say that term.

Because if we're really going that PC, may as well stop saying "near miss" because as the head of the London Underground Security told me once, the term should really be "near hit"!

I wouldn't like it, but would support some sort of "Advisory test" every 10 years.

A nominal fee but drivers go through the current driving test and an instructor (any old one, not one for tests) can advise on how to drive better.  While you shouldn't lose your license, you perhaps should get better insurance premiums if you have had this "Advisory Drive" in the last 12 months.

But then I think young drivers should be banned from driving with passengers until they're 21, UNLESS you've passed the PassPlus.

But then make sure insurance is cheaper if you've taken the PassPlus course.

Perhaps both the "Advisory Drive" and the PassPlus should be put together and make it last 2 years or so.

Those 'additional standards' actually mean nothing.

If the young drivers managed to get one, then in their eyes they are more invincible than ever. Which is the heart of the problem.

Same as some of those 'advanced driving' courses. Then a case of I'm done this, so I know everything!

Entirely the opposite of what they should be doing. Lots of practice and continuously learning is the secret to good driving, not a certificate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Something I find mildly annoying is the tendency of the media and, sadly, many with a professional interest in road safety, when talking about "advanced driving" training, to fail to distinguish between the proper IAM type of long term work which undoubtedly does make participants better drivers, and a few hours hoo

ning around on a skidpan which, whilst fun, probably doesn't. An argument I frequently had with my colleagues when I was a public servant in a transport role. 

Edited by PatB
  • Like 2

On 06/02/2021 at 11:42, Sir TophamHatt said:

I don't!

My brother-in-law, who was in the traffic police, used to say there were no dangerous roads (in the UK) only inappropriate driving.

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

TFL engineered some extremely dangerous roads in the last few years (Some have subsequently been reworked again.)

Torrington Place suddenly received intermittent kerbs, unmarked, four foot into the nearside lane to create a cycle lane . You couldn't see these things at night, but they'd have you off your motorbike if you touched them..... Ah, London....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JeremyC said:

My brother-in-law, who was in the traffic police, used to say there were no dangerous roads (in the UK) only inappropriate driving.

Yes, I think context is the key. There are some undoubtedly dangerous roads in some parts of the worls, mountain passes on high ledges, but for the most part we mean the UK, where there are few genuinely dangerous roads, though as with the recent discussion on the pavements across junctions, and as @Giles said above, some road planners do seem to manage to design more and more dangerous (or at least poor) ones that seem to be trying to solve the wrong problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Yes, I know there's a lot of snow in places but it's really not that hard to remove it from your car. Certainly more should be brushed off than this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-55950942

Charged with dangerous driving and so he should be. Hopefully he will get a minimum two year ban and another test before he gets his licence back. 

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Charged with dangerous driving and so he should be. Hopefully he will get a minimum two year ban and another test before he gets his licence back. 

In the State of Victoria, Australia getting your licence back after disqualification isn't automatic and you have to demonstrate that you can behave before you can get it back.

I suggest that there is a case for a 'Non Criminal' way of dealing with motorists where you dont need to have behaved criminally but you have demonstrated a lack of skill or judgement that makes you unsuitable to hold a licence.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Reorte said:

Yes, I know there's a lot of snow in places but it's really not that hard to remove it from your car. Certainly more should be brushed off than this:

Well, it's winter, which means Birnam wood has no leaves on it, so he's improvised and used snow instead of branches. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

I saw a smallish hatchback being driven along with a diamond-shaped 6" deep pillar of snow on its roof the other day. The driver had obviously stood at each corner and wiped off what they could reach with one arm, while standing far enough back not to get snow actually on any other part of their person.  The thought of using an actual tool to do the job* appears never to cross such people's minds - but then too many people appear never to pause to consider that they might need anything other than the key when they set out to drive.  There are also those who seem to treat their cars like some kind of magic carpet that cannot ever, possibly, conceivably be unable to take them where they want to go, and get all confused and frustrated when they lose traction on snowy or icy roads, usually because their vehicle is fitted with wholly inappropriate tyres.

(The 'magic carpet' mindset is also at the root of much of the lazy, selfish and inconsiderate driving which is to be seen every single day: it's almost as if "it's the car that does everything", with the responsibilities of the person behind the wheel limited to making occasional suggestions as to how to reach their desired destination.  See also innumerable news reports which make it sound as if the car itself was the sole cause of the incident, the person behind the wheel having no involvement whatsoever.)

* I use a soft-bristled broom to clear loose snow off my car.  Ice on the windows is removed your common or garden plastic window scraper (backed up by de-icing spray if required).  If any ice has formed on the bodywork then it's treated with de-icing spray first, then the softened ice removed with the rubber blade of the scraper.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

* I use a soft-bristled broom to clear loose snow off my car.  

Absolutely we easy and just takes less than a minute, I don’t understand these numpties who peer through a letterbox size hole then wonder why they get pulled up.

• Agree 2

On 11/02/2021 at 16:21, PhilJ W said:

On 11/02/2021 at 16:11, Reorte said:

I thought it was actually illegal to drive with significant amounts of snow on the car, particularly on the roof; it could blow off onto the windscreen of a following car. I know that I always completely clear the car of snow before setting off.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 62613 said:

I thought it was actually illegal to drive with significant amounts of snow on the car, particularly on the roof; it could blow off onto the windscreen of a following car. I know that I always completely clear the car of snow before setting off.

Covered by driving without due care and attention I believe, rather than a specific offence. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 62613 said:

It could blow off onto the windscreen of a following car

I think a greater risk is that, if you have to brake sharply, it could slide forward over your windscreen at just about exactly the moment when you do need to see what's happening in front of you.

Either way, having large piles of snow flying around in an uncontrolled fashion amongst motor vehicles being driven on slippery roads is basically a bad idea.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 62613 said:

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Covered by driving without due care and attention I believe, rather than a specific offence. 

Covered by both driving without due care and attention and dangerous driving depending on circumstances. In this case there was only a fist sized hole in the snow on the windscreen so the police charged him with the more serious offence.

16 hours ago, 62613 said:

it is and they do heres a local idiot that ended tragically https://www.tamesidecorrespondent.co.uk/2021/01/13/pensioner-driver-killed-mother-of-three-after-half-hearted-and-haphazard-attempt-to-fully-de-ice-his-van-windscreen/

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, peanuts said:

Not that I'm making light of what was a tragic situation, but looking at that last picture, since when has Tameside court been inside a branch of Lidl?

Mike.

• Agree 3

Now we are a few weeks into lockdown 3 and it is far busier than  lockdown 1, but has anyone else noticed that there are some out there who are still quite surpised that there is other traffic on the road and are in lockdown 1 mode*.

By all means you just drive out in front of me. I'll just take an extra tour round the roundabout now I have manged to avoid you. Yes, isn't ABS good? What do you mean I shouldn't be here? , Some of us can't work from home you know.

Now large amounts of snow on the car I always thought constituted an insecure load and if frozen would be quite a hazard if sliding off into another vehicle. A good reason to give HGV's and other tall vehicles  a wide berth at this time of year.

Andy

*When you could drive gently towards  red traffic lights and they would change to green for you cos you were the only mug out there and thus you saved 15 minutes each way on the commute

• Like 1