RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

Ditto.

I write the stuff!

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

My 1984 Landrover gives a warning of frost......

My university tutor was quite proud of the fact that his Land Rover had no chips in whatsoever (except for the radio). He wrote much of the control software for the big particle accelerators at CERN...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I could never drive wearing gloves but in freezing weather I used to run the engine to heat up/defrost the car so it was quite warm before I pulled away. I now use a walking stick to get around and some gloves can be quite 'slippy' when holding it. But the best gloves I've found for grip are golfing gloves.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I could never drive wearing gloves but in freezing weather I used to run the engine to heat up/defrost the car so it was quite warm before I pulled away.

My father worked for 3 years in northern Sweden, north of the Arctic Circle where winter temperatures could be as low as -40 degrees (the magic number where you don't need to specify Centigrade or Fahrenheit as they are both the same).  His car had an electric heater in the sump, a mains powered convention heater in the passenger footwell as well as heated seats.  Naturally he kept it in the garage when at home, but when he parked in town, the car was plugged into a mains socket at the kerbside, mounted on a pole similar to a parking meter.  Even footpaths in town had underfloor heating !  As a matter if course everybody carried emergency food rations, blankets, a tow rope and a folding shovel in the boot, and if you broke down on the highway any passing car would stop and offer a tow.  This was before the days of mobile phones.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Funny how fashions change.  Nobody seems to wear "driving gloves" any more, though I don't think land rover drivers ever did.

This Land rover driver does, tweed back  I want all of my hands warm.. and a woolly hat

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

My father worked for 3 years in northern Sweden, north of the Arctic Circle where winter temperatures could be as low as -40 degrees (the magic number where you don't need to specify Centigrade or Fahrenheit as they are both the same). 

I'm having to guess that you mean 233 K :)

• Like 3

Fife: Woman stopped by police after 'unbelievably' filming a car crash on her phone as she drove by

The first accident on the A92 E/B from Cowdenbeath to Lochgelly involved just one car, but following that two other drivers who were not paying attention crashed into the slowing vehicles.

Officers have described the actions of one woman who drove by the scene filming it on her mobile phone as ‘unbelievable’. 

They stopped her and added that it was fortunate she didn’t cause the fourth crash of the evening.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Stringback? I had a pair.

I bought a pair back in the 70’s when I bought my 2002tii……dogs danglies I was, until I gave one of the (female) journo a lift home…..she kept looking at my sporty gloves and smiling…….then she couldn’t stop laughing…..

I never wore another pair……ever!  :lol:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

My father worked for 3 years in northern Sweden, north of the Arctic Circle where winter temperatures could be as low as -40 degrees (the magic number where you don't need to specify Centigrade or Fahrenheit as they are both the same).  His car had an electric heater in the sump, a mains powered convention heater in the passenger footwell as well as heated seats.  Naturally he kept it in the garage when at home, but when he parked in town, the car was plugged into a mains socket at the kerbside, mounted on a pole similar to a parking meter.  Even footpaths in town had underfloor heating !  As a matter if course everybody carried emergency food rations, blankets, a tow rope and a folding shovel in the boot, and if you broke down on the highway any passing car would stop and offer a tow.  This was before the days of mobile phones.

When we tested in Arjeplog temperature went down to below -40 (which was the point of going there, later spoiled by having an environmental chamber built which could do much the same…..damnit!) some mornings it was so cold the fan belt slipped, not because it was icey but because it was frozen solid and would not go around the pulleys :lol:

That is quite cold, and the beer cost a fortune!

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 04/12/2021 at 21:27, leopardml2341 said:

4°C on my MG5

3°C on previous car; Dacia Sandero and one before that (Mitsubishi Colt)

On 05/12/2021 at 10:22, leopardml2341 said:

Not sure if it's a permanent or transient warning,  will report back when it next appears.

Transient only; during each downward transition from 5 > 4 °C

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Funny how fashions change.  Nobody seems to wear "driving gloves" any more, though I don't think land rover drivers ever did.

Woolly glove on the left hand (so that I could work the switches), thick gauntlet type thing on the right hand.  As you could see daylight between the door and the windscreen at the best of times, it did get a bit chilly inside in the winter.

Adrian

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Transient only; during each downward transition from 5 > 4 °C

I can understand the “ding ” being transient, but would have thought the actual warning symbol (whatever it may be) stayed on while below the triggering temperature?

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, figworthy said:

Woolly glove on the left hand (so that I could work the switches), thick gauntlet type thing on the right hand.  As you could see daylight between the door and the windscreen at the best of times, it did get a bit chilly inside in the winter.

Adrian

You wouldn’t even have to say “Land Rover” in that sentence :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

11 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I can understand the “ding ” being transient, but would have thought the actual warning symbol (whatever it may be) stayed on while below the triggering temperature?

On everything I can recall there's a ding and a prominent warning on a display somewhere for a few seconds. Then there's a permanent '*' next to the temperature wherever that's displayed.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 30801 said:

On everything I can recall there's a ding and a prominent warning on a display somewhere for a few seconds. Then there's a permanent '*' next to the temperature wherever that's displayed.

Exactly that, with the calibre of most drivers nowadays a warning that disappears after a few seconds would be forgotten in just as many seconds :wacko:

• Agree 4

Returning  to Suffolk  yesterday evening, we found the selfish behaviour of some motorists leaving the northbound exit of the M25 at J28 for the A12 potentially dangerous. There is initially a single exit lane at the junction so a long queue (over a mile) developed in the left hand A12 exit only M25 lane. Presumably this is a daily occurrence give the volume of traffic and many drivers stay in the M25  left hand northbound lane, slowing at the llast moment and pushing into the exit lane traffic.

Consequently the M25 lane they are in has a lot of avoidance required by following traffic. Not only is it potentially dangerous it is also selfish and inconsiderate. The ones we noticed as we got nearer to the actual exit lane were mainly driving BMWs and Audis.

I shouldn't really be that surprised as when driving down the A12 from Suffolk to the M25 we find that the standard of driving notably deteriorates  the further we get into Essex.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Returning  to Suffolk  yesterday evening, we found the selfish behaviour of some motorists leaving the northbound exit of the M25 at J28 for the A12 potentially dangerous. There is initially a single exit lane at the junction so a long queue (over a mile) developed in the left hand A12 exit only M25 lane. Presumably this is a daily occurrence give the volume of traffic and many drivers stay in the M25  left hand northbound lane, slowing at the llast moment and pushing into the exit lane traffic.

Consequently the M25 lane they are in has a lot of avoidance required by following traffic. Not only is it potentially dangerous it is also selfish and inconsiderate. The ones we noticed as we got nearer to the actual exit lane were mainly driving BMWs and Audis.

Those single exit lanes are a menace. The better junctions on 4-lane stretches are laid out with the left hand lane for traffic heading left and lane two for traffic turning right and going straight on. The cause of the congestion is almost always in only one of those two directions.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, there were some real experts on the A26 south of Tunbridge Wells this morning as I was cycling home* along it.  Just before my turnoff there are three traffic islands in succession along the single-carriageway stretch.  They're perhaps a quarter of a mile apart, and at the exact moment as I passed each one of them in turn, I was overtaken by a muppet in a car.

I've often wondered if some drivers see that as a game, and award themselves points for accurate timing.

(* by which I mean just riding my bike, sitting comfortably as befits my age, as opposed to speeding along with asre higher than head, wearing Lycra and a Magic Hat)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7