The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Also known as the Chinese method , see any number of you tube videos ,

translates as , my headlight is in front of yours so I'm moving over .

I thought that was the Italian method, certainly was back in the 80’s and 90’s in Turin…….basically aim at where you want to go and everyone else will give way.

First thing an Italian driver does after passing the test……rip out the rear view mirrors.

Every Italian car has its horn wired to the brake light circuit.

:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Failing to use indicators can be classed as "careless and inconsiderate driving " with a possible £5000 fine and 9 points on the licence

High cash fines like that, can change peoples lives in a devastating way, to others it's a petty cash annoyance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

High cash fines like that, can change peoples lives in a devastating way, to others it's a petty cash annoyance.

Removing permission to drive, even if only for a short period of time, would, I think, strike more effectively at those for whom a fine is merely a petty inconvenience. 

• Agree 5

"...Removing permission to drive, even if only for a short period of time, would, I think, strike more effectively at those for whom a fine is merely a petty inconvenience...."

Was very effective in Saudi when I was there in mid-80s. Big fine was changed to several months in slammer and driving miraculously improved. 

Edited by geoffers
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Trip to the Vets for a procedure more commonly associated with Tom Cats?

Seriously though there is a hard core of drivers who dont think the rules apply to them, they need to be off the road and kept off the road until they can demonstrate that they can behave properly

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

A bit like the suggestion, which I think has been made on this thread before, that the most effective punishment for using a mobile phone while driving, would be to confiscate the phone...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Nick C said:

A bit like the suggestion, which I think has been made on this thread before, that the most effective punishment for using a mobile phone while driving, would be to confiscate the phone...

Definitely. It's in the "sad but true" category; I expect a lot of people would be more influenced by the chance of losing their phone than their car.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

So what stops them from heading straight down to the shop to buy another?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Nothing , but think of all the data that they will have lost and need to rebuild .

Unfortunately nowadays you loose nothing, when we upgrade our phones (from our daughter in law’s old phones) every time we have just inserted the SIM and everything gets automatically transferred over from the cloud.

Probably better to confiscate their phone AND SIM card on the spot before they can copy/reload.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Probably better to confiscate their phone AND SIM card on the spot before they can copy/reload and block that number.

That was what I meant , cause some real grief when all the selfies

are lost .     :jester:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

That was what I meant , cause some real grief when all the selfies

are lost .     :jester:

Loss of i phone , if new model ,£600 - £800 ,

Fine of £200

6 points on licence

That should make someone re think their behaviour .

• Agree 1

The other thing though is what about confiscation of cars?

That can be very very expensive

That of course and make it difficult to get your licence back if you lose it, coupled with treating a driving ban as the equivalent of an injunction with power of arrest.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Most people don't own their car nowadays, that might cause issues?

Mike.

Returned to the owners then?

It might make leasing companies a bit more curious about who they lease to, perhaps some conditions eg if you lease a 'family saloon' then you get it back, if you lease a hot hatch you might not?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

The other thing though is what about confiscation of cars?

That can be very very expensive

Which of course is the same as large fines, for some/most people it would be life changing, for others a petty cash annoyance.

The penalties ought not to depend on the size of you bank account, or Daddy knows someone!

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Which of course is the same as large fines, for some/most people it would be life changing, for others a petty cash annoyance.

The penalties ought not to depend on the size of you bank account, or Daddy knows someone!

That is the practice here in the UK. The wealthier you are the higher the fine.

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

That is the practice here in the UK. The wealthier you are the higher the fine.

Only for speeding offences AFAIK: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/speeding-fines/  And only if it goes to court; if you get and accept an FPN, it's a fixed amount.

For use of a handheld mobile phone while driving it's a £200 FPN and 6 points: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/mobile-phone-laws/

In theory, of course, accumulating 12 points on your licence means you can't drive - which is pretty much the same as having your car taken away.  In practice, an awful lot of offenders seem to be let off a ban by claiming the "exceptional hardship" excuse.  There is a view that people who would face exceptional hardship if they lost their licence should have taken that into account before choosing to commit an offence.  I'm sure I read somewhere recently that the qualifying criteria for this were being tightened up but I can't find any online references just now.  There are also some people who just ignore the ban; not infrequently such charming individuals get picked up by committing further offences while banned.  As the saying goes: You can't stop stupidity; you can't legislate against it but you can hold people accountable for it.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

22 hours ago, kevinlms said:

So what stops them from heading straight down to the shop to buy another?

will the phone be theirs or a company mobile provided with the job explain that one to your boss ?

loss of all contact numbers etc loss of any photos or files stored on said phone 

• Like 2