The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Nah, the "Proper" RR had a kerb weight of 1750kg and a payload of 750kg taking it up to 2.5T GVW.  And a twin carb Rover V8.  And legally permitted to haul a 4T trailer if fitted with coupled brakes - usually vacuum operated, giving a GTW of 6.5 tonnes! 

I'd tend to regard such distinctions as essentially "beside the point"....

11 hours ago, big jim said:

i did think he was being a bit of a dick but   I’ve dealt with worse, I ride through small heath and sparkbrook, that’s an eye opener! 

end of the day karmas a bitch as they say 

Oh, "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Nah, the "Proper" RR had a kerb weight of 1750kg and a payload of 750kg taking it up to 2.5T GVW.  And a twin carb Rover V8.  And legally permitted to haul a 4T trailer if fitted with coupled brakes - usually vacuum operated, giving a GTW of 6.5 tonnes! 

11 hours ago, big jim said:

i did think he was being a bit of a dick but   I’ve dealt with worse, I ride through small heath and sparkbrook, that’s an eye opener! 

end of the day karmas a bitch as they say 

Oh, "flash for cash" territory...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Try arguing that when you're pulled for overloading or exceeding towing limits; my guess is that being beside the point won't give much credence to that defence.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, SamThomas said:

To me it appears to be an issue where the old lighting heads have been replace with LED ones.

Does not seem to be an issue where the lamp standards & heads are new as they seem to be a little closer together.

They just replaced the heads, including on a post thats leaning due to being pushed over by a car.

10 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Try arguing that when you're pulled for overloading or exceeding towing limits; my guess is that being beside the point won't give much credence to that defence.

True enough, but a slightly different point. Shall I rephrase my original point as "very large"? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This idiot has just had an expensive day out, with the book being thrown at him.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/classic-ford-falcon-gt-seized-in-bathurst-after-police-detect-excessive-speed/?utm_campaign=syndication&utm_source=smh.com.au&utm_content=article_2&utm_medium=partner

I have driven round here, it is a normal country town road. I took it easy at the speed limit and was surprised at exactly how steep some of the grades were and sharp the bends were. Not something to be taken at high speed without having a closed road.

Just as well I was in no hurry, because the coppers were at the bottom of the hill checking speeds!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 24/01/2022 at 23:22, kevinlms said:

This idiot has just had an expensive day out, with the book being thrown at him.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/classic-ford-falcon-gt-seized-in-bathurst-after-police-detect-excessive-speed/?utm_campaign=syndication&utm_source=smh.com.au&utm_content=article_2&utm_medium=partner

I have driven round here, it is a normal country town road. I took it easy at the speed limit and was surprised at exactly how steep some of the grades were and sharp the bends were. Not something to be taken at high speed without having a closed road.

Just as well I was in no hurry, because the coppers were at the bottom of the hill checking speeds!

I'd imagine it's a location that quite frequently attracts people trying to hurtle around, and is equally likely to have police watching out for them doing just that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Really appalling driving from a so-called professional driver.

https://www.facebook.com/matt.halliday1/videos/10215880217376887

Even the one stuck out in the diminishing lane at the end was a bit of a tw@t to get stuck like that, as for the first driver…..I have no words.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Really appalling driving from a so-called professional driver.

https://www.facebook.com/matt.halliday1/videos/10215880217376887

4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Even the one stuck out in the diminishing lane at the end was a bit of a tw@t to get stuck like that, as for the first driver…..I have no words.

A few NPR cameras are needed there. Apparently its a common occurrence when the ferries offload.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

The one with the camera was not much better. Lots of tailgating. 

Not that I have any experience of HGV driving, so I'm not condoning anything, but, from my observations, if HGV's don't tailgate some (my original word was removed so please insert your choice of 4 letter word here) in a BMW or similar will fill the space.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
Filling in the gap.
  • Agree 1

The police deliberately do nothing on the A75, HGVs doing 60 to 70 mph on a single carriageway, ignoring solid white lines, overtaking going round bends, until there is a crash.  The HGVs are in radio communication & too many think it is safe to drive like that going to & from the ferry.   

A few years ago I commuted along that road & it was then seriously scary, it is now worse, deadly.

Do NOT come out of a junction at night if there are HGVs about, as you could end up in the middle of gap in a radio convoy on the wrong side of the road.

Just wait till autominous HGVs are running as a bunch controlled by the 1st do this.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, duncan said:

The police deliberately do nothing on the A75, HGVs doing 60 to 70 mph on a single carriageway, ignoring solid white lines, overtaking going round bends, until there is a crash.  The HGVs are in radio communication & too many think it is safe to drive like that going to & from the ferry.   

A few years ago I commuted along that road & it was then seriously scary, it is now worse, deadly.

Do NOT come out of a junction at night if there are HGVs about, as you could end up in the middle of gap in a radio convoy on the wrong side of the road.

Just wait till autominous HGVs are running as a bunch controlled by the 1st do this.

It must be a miracle that an accident hasn't occurred already on that particular road.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I hadn't noticed the lack of updates on this thread but now realise just how impeccable the nation's drivers have been over the last five weeks.

Or they're so often bad that no one passes comment any more.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I have thought of an improvement which could be made to help make poor drivers into better drivers, especially the stereotyped German car drivers.

In this day and age of advances in car electronics and brains and interfaces talking to each other it should be an easy fix.

Interlink the indicators and the steering wheel, so no indicator equals no turn,

Simple.

Mike.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1