The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Vitalspark, do you have a photo of the b10m trainer in first livery you can see in the first photo? I think it is one of the ex Sheffield one converted at Rotherham refurb and sent all over the country. If it is it will have a reg with NWA, and the 3 digit fleet number before it.

Just like to see one of the busses I used to drive still going, instead of like almost every other b10m turned into razor blades by now. Some of ours had sat untouched for 3 years in the open when they went for scrap, and all but one fired up first time and built up their air and could have been driven to the scrapyard. When they parked them up all they did was park them and turn the master switch off, that's it.

Loved the b10m, built like a brick outhouse.

I have said before that I did have an interest in bus preservation a few years ago. I was co-opted to solve electrical problems on a 1957 A.E.C. Regent V which was the last one built for East Yorkshire Motor Services with a domed roof to allow it to pass through the North Bar in Beverley.

The body work was done by Charles Roe at Leeds and I acquired a copy of an official photograph taken by the builders on it's delivery. 

post-276-0-55140200-1442003228.jpg

The company was eventually bought by it's staff in 1985 and to celebrate that we were invited back to the works along with several other vehicles.

We tried to photograph "Sputnik" back in the same place.

post-276-0-94944500-1442002953.jpg

This link tells a better story. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_H._Roe

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 4

Vitalspark, do you have a photo of the b10m trainer in first livery you can see in the first photo? I think it is one of the ex Sheffield one converted at Rotherham refurb and sent all over the country. If it is it will have a reg with NWA, and the 3 digit fleet number before it.

Just like to see one of the busses I used to drive still going, instead of like almost every other b10m turned into razor blades by now. Some of ours had sat untouched for 3 years in the open when they went for scrap, and all but one fired up first time and built up their air and could have been driven to the scrapyard. When they parked them up all they did was park them and turn the master switch off, that's it.

Loved the b10m, built like a brick outhouse.

Still looking through my images but will be down there next week and check it out.

Get back to you.

Dave

Further to last post there are 3 x B10m 55s in the garage but the one in First livery is I am sure reg no G545RDS and was new to Strathclyde buses.

It stayed in the area all its life ending up at Parkhead garage.

I will have a look through the stocklist for more info on the others.

The garage currently has 99 buses and coaches listed there... plus 2 breakdown wagons…also 4x fire engines plus quite a few commercial vehicles.

If you google 'GVVT stockist' you should be able to check everything out there.

Cheers

Dave.

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 2

Any good?FirstGroup_bus_60612_Volvo_B10M_Alexande8444190757_92e913772e_b.jpg

That brings back memories. 775 being its original fleet number. If the photo was better I might even have been able to see who was driving it.

The best ones went for scrap, 772 used to do 85+ and 769 & 690 would do 55 up almost any hill.

Them volvos were good busses. The bad one die very quickly. Stagecoach have some 07 to 59 plate single deck e300 with man engines, they have already been re-engined and still are gutless up some of the hills in Sheffield. Our older volvos still feel newer and better uphill.

• RMweb Premium

Some examples of revenge on poor parking.

http://www.collegehumor.com.au/post/7013835/16-people-who-learned-the-hard-way-that-they-park-like-an-/

Although to be fair, a couple could be stolen cars.

I came across a really annoying 'lazy parker' a couple of years ago. I entered a car park where the only vacant parking place was partially obstructed by the car in the bay to the left parked six inches into the vacant bay, this despite the bay it was in having an extra half bay on the other side, the bay having been divided to provide a footpath. This necessitated my having to park very close to the (drivers) door just so that I could open my own door but despite that my car was central in the bay. When I returned to my car I found a note on the windscreen saying 'Nice parking dick-head'. He was lucky that he had left before I returned to my car otherwise he would have found his note placed where the sun don't shine.

• Like 1

I followed a Nissan Quashie through our estate this dinnertime and it was obvious the young woman driving it thought it was was massive! She almost stopped when a car came towards her and was over the centre white line at the junction with the main road. I had a feeling she would not be able to park it when she reached Colwyn Bay or wherever she was going. Sad.

• Like 4

I followed a Nissan Quashie through our estate this dinnertime and it was obvious the young woman driving it thought it was was massive! She almost stopped when a car came towards her and was over the centre white line at the junction with the main road. I had a feeling she would not be able to park it when she reached Colwyn Bay or wherever she was going. Sad.

We get a lot of this down here, but it is noticeable that even the the drivers of smaller cars are unable to judge the width of their vehicles. You will often be confronted by somebody straddling the centre line in residential streets despite having acres of space on their side of the road.Equally amusing are those who can't get their cars through a width restriction.

• Like 2

Probably down to the current styling 'fad?'

Car shapes are so boxy, with large amounts of metal stretching down below the window line.

I admit to...these days...being less tolerant of an inability to maneuver and position a car on the part of modern drivers. [travel pass, not driving licence?]

UNfortunately [probably because of the way they were taught?]  drivers only use their mirrors for [a] putting on make-up, and looking for other cars behind them.

They fail to grasp the 3rd reason for mirror work..and that is, to aid  & identify their own road position.  People have become 'aimers', rather than drivers.

These days, when I'm confronted by a driver patently hogging far too much tarmac for the width of their vehicle, I simply stop.....where I am....and make little or no effort whatsoever to give them 'more' room. They can pick the bones out of that!

Of course, if they touch my quite wide Daihatsu, I'm stopped already!  And can quite quickly nip out to photograph the 2 metres of clear space they have on their near side. I would then photograph the 6 inches or so to the left of my vehicle!  Ensuring all concerned are still 'in shot'...

After all, why should I go out of my way to assist a driver who is struggling to get used to the width of their car?

It wasn't I who compelled them to buy such a rubbish over-brick-like car?

Their choice!

[Nobody gave me the slightest bit of assistance while I first got used to the Daihatsu and its quirks.....so I don't feel the need to reciprocate.]

Sorry, it's a rant....I know why it happens..professionally  I use lots of tricks to aid my students overcome similar problems....but I get paid for that....in my own car, I'm not on pay! If I can do it, why can everyone else not do likewise?

Done!!

• Like 3

Had a trip down to EXPO North near Manchester, a few areas of slow moving traffic but generally a good run. We saw four incidents of 'Bad Driving'. One an idiot steaming down the inside lane of the M6 with the other two lanes slowed due to lorries overtaking a slowish vehicle, the said idiot got to the rear of the old bus and just pushed right out in front of us causing everyone behind us to brake hard. The next one was cruising along in the first lane then drifted out in front of me without looking or indicating and getting an earful from his wife/partner when I blasted the horn, it was too close that one. The other two were a few cars in front but could have caused a bad accident. Coming off a slip road and right through lane one, two and into three in one arrogant move without any indicators made a few people quite angry, the other incident was the opposite move, straight across from the outside lane through two lanes of traffic and pushed into a very busy off ramp, at least they were indicating.

What did all these incidents have in common? They all had Blxxdy Morons Within. Funny that.

Apologises to all my friends who drive the 'ultimate driving machine', I know you don't drive like that....

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

The popularity of BMW's in recent years, with the Top Gear team saying they were now the mondeo-man, makes me wonder if their dodgy maneuvering is down to being new to driving automatics. I am assuming they are all automatics like Mercs?  It's all clog & brake whereas with a stick one has to drop down to make a nippy move.

• Like 1

3 years ago...My alternator packed in on the M1 outside Leeds....

Called recovery, who wished to tow me to the nearest services to effect a repair.

The 'tow' consisted of a fairly short straight bar...behind a well marked, flashy lights, AA van-type vehicle.

I am used to being towed, my son sat in the van... the recovery guy had to negotiate a complex interchange, with 5 or 6 lanes, most gong in hte wrong direction for us.

Big big sign stuck in my back window announcing 'on tow'....plus his light board.

When we changed lanes, I obviously had to follow him.....so if he cut someone up, I made the matter worse.

Amazingly a BMW drive decided I wasn't going fast enough, so tried to cut in front of ME.....and, for again, obvious reasons, I wouldn't let him in. He became quite vociferous, shouting at me out of his open window, gesticulating, etc.

Then when he finally pulled slightly ahead, he noticed the tow bar!!

We/I came level with him a bit further up, and I did my best grumpy old git glare at him..I could swear he visibly tried to disappear into his velour seat!

Wne being towed with a straight bar, one is barely a metre or so behind the tow vehicle...looking like the ultimate tailgater....bit of a giggle really, but...what could I do?  :)

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

One thing that annoys me is that no one seems to bother to move over to the centre of the road when turning right nowadays. They prefer to sit in the middle of the carriageway with a queue of vehicles behind them, or even sometimes from close to the left hand kerb. I do try to leave enough room where possible for traffic to pass on my nearside when turning right and even then some cockwomble coming the other way objected to having to move over slightly by sounding his horn and gesticulating.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Reading this thread really makes me feel lucky, yes some drive through red lights and only seem to notice when nobody follows them but round Chesterfield if someone can help you they often do, letting people out of side roads stopping to let people turn right to unblock traffic etc. Even Manchester on Sunday wasn't too bad.....

• Like 3

One thing that annoys me is that no one seems to bother to move over to the centre of the road when turning right nowadays. They prefer to sit in the middle of the carriageway with a queue of vehicles behind them, or even sometimes from close to the left hand kerb. I do try to leave enough room where possible for traffic to pass on my nearside when turning right and even then some cockwomble coming the other way objected to having to move over slightly by sounding his horn and gesticulating.

That's before you even get on to the forgotten art of offside/offside turning at crossroads.