The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

I've been ignoring this thread for a while and successfully 'forgot' what it was all about.

When I saw it on top of the Wheeltappers heap this morning and read "Driving standards" I thought to myself, "I hope that's not another P4/EM finescale booster thread.

It's not of course.

• RMweb Gold

Indian driving is absolutely appalling. Chinese is worse, but the sheer weight of traffic in India (and Pakistan, for that matter) puts it ahead by a nose..

Of course, our multi-cultural utopia means you can now see all this near you...

The only Indians I know drive rather well and are actually responsible for providing the Utopia in which I live.
  • Like 3

All major manufacturers cheat to some degree when it comes to official tests.

Probably driven by an EU emissions testing regime that bears precious little similarity to actual driving, and hence creates vehicles which produce low amounts of CO^2/km under a specific set of circumstances (a low revving automatic shuffle to top gear at 40mph with the engine just above idle) but could be an awful lot better at real world driving (using more than the 1st 2000rpm of the engine's rev range!).

• RMweb Premium

This thread has made it to a thousand posts, I and many others I guess didn't expect it to go much further than 100 posts before being closed. (Being such a contentious subject?)

I could give plenty of examples of driving and descriptions of the perpetrators that would probably lock the thread and certainly get me banned from rmweb.......

However...... (from the recently acquired dashcam)

Two very good examples today. One was simply parking across a junction, blocking half of the junction and getting out to talk to his mate who had stopped on the other side of the road.

https://youtu.be/YPAWcp0jPeQ

Despite the little acknowledgement wave from the perp........ T*sser

The other.  Astounding (cr*p) use of a roundabout. Including hitting the kerb

https://youtu.be/QO6egeM1gSc

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Been to Lahore or Kalkota, have you?

My late mother lived in a sort of Shangri-La provided by Indians, but suddenly it was 1947...

Mother in Law was only 18 when she had to leave Lahore in somewhat of a hurry and hadn't learned to drive yet. That had to wait until she lived in Huddersfield. My late Father in Law when visiting India was more concerned about the pollution caused by the traffic than the driving standards. It adversely affected his asthma. Mother in Law now in her late 80s still drives but only locally (not in Huddersfield, rather North London now). Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

A simple post from me today. Make of this what you will, but let me say TAXIs, spawns of Satan. Doesn't matter if they are private hire being where they shouldn't be or hackney carriage/black cabs, pulling up at random without any signals to pick up a fare, or both kinds parking wherever they wish and having no idea about road signs (no entry except bus/tram, no left turn etc).

I HATE TAXIs.

There, I feel better now, until the next idiot in a taxi pulls up in front of me and acts surprised that a bus cannot stop in 3 yards.

Probably driven by an EU emissions testing regime that bears precious little similarity to actual driving, and hence creates vehicles which produce low amounts of CO^2/km under a specific set of circumstances (a low revving automatic shuffle to top gear at 40mph with the engine just above idle) but could be an awful lot better at real world driving (using more than the 1st 2000rpm of the engine's rev range!).

So a bit like the education system then (as any thoughtful and dedicated teacher will tell you)

• Like 1

Indian driving is absolutely appalling. Chinese is worse, but the sheer weight of traffic in India (and Pakistan, for that matter) puts it ahead by a nose..

I don't really know about Indian driving but have experienced Sri Lankan driving - exciting is not the word!!!

Getting from the main airport to our hotel c.25 miles was fun enough and took two hours but our return journey was absolutely petrifying, our driver was either blind drunk, high as a kite or almost asleep, we couldn't tell but amazingly, he did deliver us safe & well just shook up!

The volume of traffic and the pollution was quite remarkable too.

As to the comment about the learner on his moped, texting - well, this is all too common in Greece and there, they rarely use crash hats!

Overall by comparison with the rest of the world, British driving and roads are pretty good. IMHO our worst problem is a lack of patience and planning.

Cheers,

John E.

.....Indian driving is absolutely appalling. Chinese is worse.......

My old man had a very nervous time as a pedestrian when visiting Taiwan, and I was similarly odds-on to get run over when crossing the road (I had the green man indication, too!) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

• RMweb Premium

I MAY have caught the bullet.

Stuck behind an erratic slow driver, came to a WIDE part of road, so accelerated to pass. Pulled in, steep down hill as well so sped more than I should (forgot 50 limit not 60). Speed camera, so braked back to the limit, behind the speed camera was a Talivan.

Wide road, good visibility, accelerated past for lower TED (they ware doing 40), jsut got caught out.

May be lucky, may get the letter.

I was not going THAT fast as my car is less aerodynamic than a brick so tend to stick to no more than 60 to 70.

A simple post from me today. Make of this what you will, but let me say TAXIs, spawns of Satan. Doesn't matter if they are private hire being where they shouldn't be or hackney carriage/black cabs, pulling up at random without any signals to pick up a fare, or both kinds parking wherever they wish and having no idea about road signs (no entry except bus/tram, no left turn etc).

I HATE TAXIs.

There, I feel better now, until the next idiot in a taxi pulls up in front of me and acts surprised that a bus cannot stop in 3 yards.

Driving in London, especially at night, beware of those cars with the Adison Lee stickers on the back?

Stewart

I HATE TAXIs.

Sometimes when our staff vans are out of action (or missing in action!) we have to rely on taxis to get us to or from certain jobs, most of them are fine and have a good 'route knowledge' but the odd one or two are an absolute nightmare. Back in January I was sharing one of these with a colleague (I shall call him 'Big Frank' for indeed he is big and is called Frank) after being relieved on a two man top 'n' tailed ballast job. The taxi arrived somewhat later than expected and we exchanged chit chat with our relief crew who looked a bit annoyed for some reason, anyway we jumped in and told the driver we're going back to the booking on point where he'd picked up our mates, ''ok'' says he in a slighlty foreign tongue. Off we go with our driver gazing confusedly at his sat-nav and peering ahead into the darkness from whence he came. A few miles down the road we come to a T-junction and sit there for a minute or so, Big Frank and I look at each other and realise matey up front hasn't got a clue where he is or where he's going. I tell him to ignore his sat-nav and listen to our directions but he decides ''no, no I go this way...'' and turns left instead of right, which is the right way home. We carry on down the wrong road for about two miles or so with the driver ignoring our pleas to stop and turn round, all the while fiddling with his sat-nav and narrowly avoid the ditches on either side of the road. Finally, ex-Falklands veteran and all round die hard Glaswegian Big Frank has had enough, he taps matey on the shoulder and yells in his ear at the top of his voice ''stop this f***ing car nooo and turn arooond ya mad b***ard!!'' Matey pulls up sharpish, manages a very rough five point turn and takes us home the right way at a much more sedate pace, trying desperately to ignore the nice lady on his sat-nav! I have nothing against foreign speaking taxi drivers but I wish they'd just ditch the sat-navs and listen to the passenger. A week later I'm chatting with one of the lads we relieved and he told me the driver had taken them on a magical mystery tour of Market Harborough and was heading for Corby when they had to redirect him towards the outskirts of Leicester..!

Mother in Law was only 18 when she had to leave Lahore in somewhat of a hurry and hadn't learned to drive yet. That had to wait until she lived in Huddersfield. My late Father in Law when visiting India was more concerned about the pollution caused by the traffic than the driving standards. It adversely affected his asthma. Mother in Law now in her late 80s still drives but only locally (not in Huddersfield, rather North London now).

I'm afraid I don't understand your point, you don't appear to be replying to any part of my post?

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

Put very simply Tony is married to an Indian lady who drives into London each day. Because Tony is often unwell he does not work and although he has a pension her work brings in most of their joint income. I think that is as much of an answer as you need.