Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Gold

Mmmmm sounds like you have some nice old Classic buses down there..lucky sods!

I think I know some of the buses that philjw mentioned! However we do have a bus museum locally and they aren't responsible for any smelly buses. I have noticed recently even the rail replacement vehicles are quite comfy.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mmmmm sounds like you have some nice old Classic buses down there..lucky sods!

I think that there's a big difference between classic buses and clapped out heaps - ours are mainly of the latter variety.

• RMweb Premium

I think I know some of the buses that philjw mentioned! However we do have a bus museum locally and they aren't responsible for any smelly buses. I have noticed recently even the rail replacement vehicles are quite comfy.

I think that there's a big difference between classic buses and clapped out heaps - ours are mainly of the latter variety.

Probably the same company, with the livery copied from packs of pile ointment.

http://www.boots.com/en/Anusol-Ointment-Haemorrhoids-Piles-Treatment-25g_1846/

Proper jobs they be. Do they really work regularly?

Phil

They certainly do Phil and many in the picture will be running round Glasgow again this weekend as its another open days at the museum in fact I have just received a members e mail requesting volunteers for driving/conducting etc..its at times like this I wish I had a PSV licence.  

The group are very fortunate to have the sole use of a very large well equipped bus garage that was only built in the early 60s..donr know the exact date it closed with the corporation but it is an ideal base for the museum with great workshop facilities and plenty of offices.

Obviously there are a large contingent representing Glasgow Corporation and other Scottish operators but also many more buses and coaches from other corners of the country  including a Blackpool PD3 and several Routemasters…even a fully restored Thames from Malta.

post-2371-0-18299700-1441821155_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-80653400-1441821194_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

just to add its not all buses..

post-2371-0-92274300-1441822097_thumb.jpg

…and to get back to railway related things a pic of an exquisitely scratch built Bristol bus by Geoff Kent for his incredible Black Lion Crossing layout.

Scratch built from plasticard..hard to believe.

post-2371-0-19718900-1441822379_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

…and to get back to railway related things a pic of an exquisitely scratch built Bristol bus by Geoff Kent for his incredible Black Lion Crossing layout.  Scratch built from plasticard..hard to believe.

A super model but it is a Leyland TD4 or TD5 with (probably) ECW body.

A super model but it is a Leyland TD4 or TD5 with (probably) ECW body.

Apologies and yes of course it is a Leyland with that radiator..I was mixing it up with another decker from Geoffs layout..this ones definitely a Bristol!

Carrog looks superb btw.

post-2371-0-02302200-1441843584_thumb.jpg

Dave.

• Like 3

They certainly do Phil and many in the picture will be running round Glasgow again this weekend as its another open days at the museum in fact I have just received a members e mail requesting volunteers for driving/conducting etc..its at times like this I wish I had a PSV licence.  

The group are very fortunate to have the sole use of a very large well equipped bus garage that was only built in the early 60s..donr know the exact date it closed with the corporation but it is an ideal base for the museum with great workshop facilities and plenty of offices.

Obviously there are a large contingent representing Glasgow Corporation and other Scottish operators but also many more buses and coaches from other corners of the country  including a Blackpool PD3 and several Routemasters…even a fully restored Thames from Malta.

attachicon.gifIMG_2763.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2766.jpg

Apologies in case anyone might be looking out for classic buses running round Glasgow this weekend..the garage open day is not until October 10th / 11th.

Dave

Do you know the fleet number of the Western single decker in the second post, as I actually remember riding on those as a kid.

You have picked what is possibly the only non authentic liveried bus in the garage!..so sorry to disappoint.

FVA 854 is an Albion Valiant coach 33 seats and started life with Hutchisons of Overtown in Lanarkshire in 1950.

It was sold to Tuer of Morland Penrith after about 4 years and remained there until 1961 when it came north again to the fleet of Carmichael of Glenboig just north of Glasgow.

Carmichjaels were taken over by Alexander Midland and the Albion was sold.

After preservation it was painted in the colours of Western SMT..I think down to the owner..well its his coach! 

Think all this is accurate but apologies of I have some details wrong.

That's not a bad idea, I'll suggest it to them, though this year there was an official photographer for the first time, but no DVD.  .....

I think the annual competition DVD would be a good idea, and a way to help defray some of the costs of organising the whole event. As well as a presenter to explain each of the tests to the uninitiated, the right sort of commentary to accompany the test stages (I'm thinking of someone who could channel his / her inner Ted Lowe to ratchet up the tension for viewers) could make it even more watchable. And that's before you add the boobs/blunders/outtakes.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I feel slightly guilty that we've drifted a little off topic because of me!  Although to be fair, the title doesn't specify whether this thread is about bad driving standards or good :scratchhead:

Anyway, since a few of you seem interested in the goings on at BDoY, this is the article I wrote for Coach and Bus Week magazine last year about the event.  Apologies in advance for the poor picture quality, I don't have the mag to hand to take any better ones, but it should still be legible.  That's not me on the cover, by the way, but the picture is mine, as are all the ones accompanying the article.

post-14759-0-08069000-1441908673_thumb.jpg

post-14759-0-14764800-1441908699_thumb.jpg

post-14759-0-75050600-1441908719_thumb.jpg

post-14759-0-28667000-1441908743_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I feel slightly guilty that we've drifted a little off topic because of me...

Very welcome it is too. The constant "today a complete moron pulled out of a side road without looking" was getting a bit 'samey'. I certainly don't see why the thread should ignore the good and just be somewhere to moan about the bad.

• RMweb Premium

Today, I was driving down a main road, and saw a car approaching a give way junction quite quickly.  I covered my brake pedal.  He stopped at the give way line.  I was disappointed.  I was driving a coach with air horns.  Some people have such a lack of consideration for other road users' pleasure.  :jester:

Wow thats stunning and love the livery ..I'm sure we could find you a space for that beauty in the garage up here!

As you know Y types were very Scottish and very smart coaches and we have a few in the collection on various chassis.

They certainly stood the test of time looking so modern and like nothing else back in early 60s and still looked great almost 20 years later..brilliant design by Alexanders.

Someone needs to organise a national Y type rally and bring them all together.

Pic of inside the garage with a cousin of your Leopard to the fore. 

post-2371-0-39371600-1441929070_thumb.jpg

Plus its big brother..

post-2371-0-48719400-1441929128_thumb.jpg

and when things go wrong what else but a Y tow wagon.

post-2371-0-35000000-1441929193_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

This one was mine, now owned by another member of RMweb.....

attachicon.gifSHMD OMB 161.jpg

(Photo by John Fozard)

What a stunning looking Daimler with what looks like another behind it.

It must have been a long and costly exercise to get a result like this..beautiful.

We only have one Daimler in the collection a CVG6..or it is now as it started life as a unique 30 ft long CVD6 before the Corporation converted it to all things Gardner which they did with most chassis except Leylands.

I am also a member of the new Dundee Museum of Transport and have an old Vauxhall on display there.

Its been in our family since new and the museum offered me a home for it which was very readily accepted.

They also have a Dundee Corporation CVD6 on display which is I believe is undergoing some cosmetic treatment but hopefully we will see it on the Streets of Dundee again soon.

I don't have any pics of the CVD6 but do have of the Cresta.

post-2371-0-81540100-1441930406_thumb.jpg

Dave.

• Like 9

Wow thats stunning and love the livery ..I'm sure we could find you a space for that beauty in the garage up here!

As you know Y types were very Scottish and very smart coaches and we have a few in the collection on various chassis.

[/url]

Not quite as pristine when last seen with its then owner,

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYhdkvw6aLE9CHRKbqECVmxu1dBPW1ZlWEMAuYbeGN4uVdaWGqxQ

believe it has been sold on again since.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 3