recommendation of best analog controller

• RMweb Gold

Looking for a good analog controller for 00 large double layout , what do you recommend

I've used the Gaugemaster DS model for years with no problems. Highly recommended.

I've used the Gaugemaster DS model for years with no problems. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the reply ; right now I'm in between dc and dcc as I have a couple of sound locos in dcc but just cant get them to perform well , connect  my old analog on the locos run well and I know analog is more forgiving than dcc ,but as I have an large collection of dc models and only a few dcc but love the sound Im in between a stone and a hard place  

Edited by jimikelly

I've ran a gaugemaster UD controller (panel mount) for about 6 months now; with an old Hornby controller providing auxiliary power; and it gives me no trouble whatsoever. Highly recommend both the old Hornby power controller (not the new model) and the UD!

I know these are very much OOP, but a s/h Codar controller would be hard to beat and they do turn up for £10-15 at swopmeets and train fairs, otherwise I would suggest ECM or Modelex.

Edited by CKPR

Just been on to flee buy and there are 2 different shaped boxes for Gaugemaster DS controllers 1 is a long box with dual controls and a brake sim -the other is a larger box with a raised back both are the same spec so why are they different 

Edited by jimikelly

• RMweb Gold

Just been on to flee buy and there are 2 different shaped boxes for Gaugemaster DS controllers 1 is a long box with dual controls and a brake sim -the other is a larger box with a raised back both are the same spec so why are they different 

Different time of manufacture.The raised version is more modern,I have the old style.

• RMweb Gold

Gaugemaster Walkabouts for me - powered from H&M Clipper 16v ac outputs (the Clippers provide back up at exhibitions).

Lightweight, single handed use, allows the operator to move around (helpful operating from the front). 

Long out of production, but the best DC controllers I ever bought were H&M Clippers and Duettes.

The best one I ever built was a very simple closed loop design out of a Roger Amos book. Only had 6 components and the current gain across two transistors was about 1 million to 1. Meaning that even the smallest movement in the motor armature could be detected and the circuit would compensate accordingly. Even Lima pancake motors ran quietly!

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 1

Looking for a good analog controller for 00 large double layout , what do you recommend 

Hi Jim

You do not mention whether you are looking for a panel mount or hand held.

In either case I can recommend that you consider the Modelex controllers.

Have a look at:  http://modelexmodelrailways.co.uk/

I think they are of better quality than Gaugemaster whose quality control dipped sharply when the current version of their handheld was introduced - two purchased, both fell to bits - literally! and then both failed after little use.

I have no connection with the company other than a satisfied user in two model railway clubs.

Nearly forgot to mention - they are also somewhat cheaper than Gaugemaster.

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

I have a Gaugemaster DS from about 1992 I think and a H &M Clipper from 1975! Neither have given me any trouble . As pointed out above the raised panel DS is a more recent version .

I have a Gaugemaster 100M from about 1987 - converted by them to 110v. It has given sterling service since 1988 when I brought it over to the US. It is the older design cube shaped case with the knob and direction switch on the front. Coreless Portescap and wound-rotor motors perform very well.

I sometimes think I would prefer a centre-off knob with left or right for directional control, but having the switch does allow you to keep minimum crawling power on and switch direction for uncoupling etc.

I sometimes think I would prefer a centre-off knob with left or right for directional control, but having the switch does allow you to keep minimum crawling power on and switch direction for uncoupling etc.

I would have thought it kinder to the motors to go through stop before changing direction.

Ed

I have noted this post.

Rather than recomending a particular make, I am giving a brief summary of the types traditionally used for analogue control of model locomotives and trains with their respective advantages and disadvantages.

Note: I am referring to the most common type which is 2 rail DC fed locomotives leaving aside systems such as the Ma"rklin one.

Traditionally what is now called analogue control is feeding a DC voltage to the 2 rails. 

The speed of the motors and then locos is dependant on the magnitude of the applied DC voltage usually between 0 and 12V with a typical minimium of about 3-4V depending on the running quality of the motors and trasmission.  Direction of travel determined by polarity which is selected with the reversing control which can be together or separatec from the speed control knob.

The actual output waveform is usually in the non electronic types is just a rectified unidirectional series of sine waveforms (twice the AC mains frequency).

For electronic types it can be dependant on the actual circuits used anything from almost pure level DC to trains of pulses (rectangular waves) or chopped sinewaves of frequencies varying from mains frequency (50Hz in Europe or 60Hz in N.America) to very high frequencies of up to tens of kHz. but in all cases overall unidirectional.

NMRA and NEM norms specify forward running with the right hand rail looking in the direction of travel being positive for forward travel. So all locos should run in the same directions with same controller's settings.

These are the basic technologies:

Series variable resistance in the main circuit   Hammant & Morgan examples: Clipper and Duette (2 controllers in the same box)

Variable voltage transformer         Hammant & Morgan examples: Safety Minor and Powermaster

Electronic (transistorized) control       Hammant & Morgan examples: Electran and Executive

The actual output waveform is usually in the non electronic types is just a rectified unidirectional series of sine waveforms (twice the AC mains frequency). For electronic types it can be dependant on the actual circuits used anything from almost pure level DC to trains of pulses (rectangular waves) or chopped sinewaves of frequencies varying from mains frequency (50Hz in Europe or 60Hz in N.America) to very high frequencies of up to tens of kHz. but in all cases overall unidirectional.

These are the main advantages:

Series variable resistance:

-  traditionally the cheapest and simplest sistem.

Variable voltage transformer:

- the output voltage for a given setting is fairly constant for differently rated motors and at the varying loads, 

-  it is like the series variable resistance type elettromechanical in nature and tolerant of overvoltages and brief short circuits.

-  It is energy efficent with just low transformer's losses.

Electronic (transistorized) control:    

- The output voltage for a given setting is constant and even stabilized regardless of the current drawn by the motors.

- Possibility of adding all sort of features such as simulated inertia with realistic acceleration and braking.

These are the disadvantages:

Series variable resistance:

- The actual output voltage for a given setting varies a lot depending on the motor's rating and actual load such as hauled load and whether the train is climbing or descending a gradient.

- The reostat gets warm.

Variable voltage transformer:

-  It is more expensive tran the Series variable resistance type,

Electronic (transistorized) control:    

- Its is more expensive than the simple series variable resistance and for older types more than the variable transformer too.

- Unless properly protected it can be damaged instantly by short circuits on the track and overvoltages. Beware of Relco type track cleaners.

Edited by FNM600

Thanks for the reply ; right now I'm in between dc and dcc as I have a couple of sound locos in dcc but just cant get them to perform well , connect  my old analog on the locos run well and I know analog is more forgiving than dcc ,but as I have an large collection of dc models and only a few dcc but love the sound Im in between a stone and a hard place  

The only reason for a DCC decoder equipped loco performing poorly - assuming the mechanism is in decent mechanical order - is the decoder not receiving adequate track power. This can arise from a faulty or underspecified DCC system, poor connection of system to track, dirt on track; before any question is asked of the loco and decoder. If the loco and decoder work reliably on the same layout when DC supply is used, then questions may be directed to the DCC system and track connection.

How does one of your sound equipped locos perform if the DCC system track output is directly connected to the loco's current collection wiring? (That's all of the track connections, rail dirt, loco pick up system eliminated.) The reason for asking this is that some years back I looked at just such a situation, and the whole problem was a train set DCC 'system' that was on the limit for adequate power output to drive a single loco with a sound decoder. The wall wart that powered this system had clearly had an 'episode' judged by the smell, and was not achieving the specified output in my opinion (no test gear to hand). A new wall wart, and all was well.

I'm using a Morely "Vector" dual output controller. I've had mine for several years and it gives nice fine control of all the motors I have including ECM type 2, various Mashimas and coreless motors too, as well as RTR from the usual culprits.

You get two nice small hand helds with decent lenth leads and a built in CDU (not that I've use that) as well.

Adrian