Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

The wing rails look to be a bit short, but only on the flare end.

Yes,

there's quite a lot of issues this has thrown up;

- Sleeper width, should we use main line point timbers?

- How long should the wing rails and check rails be?

- Sleeper spacing on the plan needs tiding up.

post-8734-0-25456400-1447534707_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes,

there's quite a lot of issues this has thrown up;

- Sleeper width, should we use main line point timbers?

- How long should the wing rails and check rails be?

- Sleeper spacing on the plan needs tiding up.

IMG_1427.JPG

Yes, timber spacing I should have sorted before I sent you the plan.

The other questions; difficult to say without some more prototype info. Can adjust the plan to suit your best guess at the actual dimensions.

Yes, timber spacing I should have sorted before I sent you the plan.

The other questions; difficult to say without some more prototype info. Can adjust the plan to suit your best guess at the actual dimensions.

No S&C is drawn in the Measured and Drawn book.

We may have to measure the prototype at Woody Bay if they have rebuilt the S&C as it was.

• RMweb Premium

If there is no info for the L & B it might be worth a look at the various 2ft gauge lines in Wales and using the averge dimensions of those. One has to assume of course that there has not been a change in standards in preservation, I would not look at the Welsh Highland as I believe most if not all the track was the recovered from South Africa.

If there is no info for the L & B it might be worth a look at the various 2ft gauge lines in Wales and using the averge dimensions of those. One has to assume of course that there has not been a change in standards in preservation, I would not look at the Welsh Highland as I believe most if not all the track was the recovered from South Africa.

What I've decided to do is build this point as per the plan on copper clad, if you remember (I hadn't) my plan is to practise on the fiddleyard points first.

I'm off to Spalding show today so I'll see if I can pick up any copper clad point timbers that are 2.5mm thick. Having looked at the plan more it's probably not that far out, I'll place one sleeper down the centre line of the two overlapping sleepers.

The wind kept me awake last night so I had plenty of time for looking....

A few years ago I wrote to the Welsh Highland Railway about a new turnout being built on the extension to Porthmadog and received a plan by email from them. Sadly for modelling purposes is is far too large in size for all but the largest layouts, even on large layouts whilst it could be used visually may not convey the narrow gauge as we think it looks.

This is my take for a smaller layout, I have used code 100 flatbottom rail with Peco track spikes, getting the check rails looking right is a problem though

post-1131-0-81450400-1447584094.jpg

I have used 7 mm scale ply sleeper strip (10") which to my eye looks fine

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 4

A few years ago I wrote to the Welsh Highland Railway about a new turnout being built on the extension to Porthmadog and received a plan by email from them. Sadly for modelling purposes is is far too large in size for all but the largest layouts, even on large layouts whilst it could be used visually may not convey the narrow gauge as we think it looks.

This is my take for a smaller layout, I have used code 100 flatbottom rail with Peco track spikes, getting the check rails looking right is a problem though

attachicon.gif76.JPG

I have used 7 mm scale ply sleeper strip (10") which to my eye looks fine

Nice,

The length of your wing and check rails are similar to the ones Mark has drawn using Templot.

I didn't get any sleepers from Spalding show - I couldn't find anyone selling any at all!

Hi Damien,

A very interesting project you have here. I did some L&B track samples and points in O14 a couple of years back - I've uploaded some pics onto flickr at: https://flic.kr/s/aHskpE2vjr

I hope this is useful.

John

Hi John,

Some very nice work there - really captures the look of the prototype.

I'm assuming from this that the checkrails would sit on the three main timbers that also sit under the crossing?

Thanks again

Right,

I've come back all fired up from working on Old Gringo's 'Once Upon a Time.... In the West' at Warley yesterday (link in my signature).

I managed to buy some 7mm point timber-width copper clad from C&L, so there is now no reason to not build a point.

So I've decided to use Marks Templot plan for rail position, but change the sleeper spacing similar to the plain line (which is drawn in the M&D book). This also brings us pretty close to what Hayfield kindly posted of their L&B point build.

post-8734-0-34656600-1448798619_thumb.jpg

Conveniently the spacing ends up a 'round' 3/4"

Check rails also shortened at the switch end of the point.

• Like 4

So, on the face of it this looks like it may well work out ok (may regret saying that)

The end of the switches are supported in the correct place (sleeper S1), The crossing nose is supported (sleeper X4-A) and the whole crossing & check rail assembly are supported by 4 sleepers (.X2-Y. to .X5-B.).

post-8734-0-15958700-1448804562_thumb.jpg

So this is my proposal for the heavier track configuration as installed by the Southern.

Shout up if you think I'm talking out of my backside but I'm trying to piece this together without all of the information...

• Like 4

I have a cunning plan...

post-8734-0-64747800-1448822538_thumb.jpg

To get the rail height correct I intend to use these packers. This will allow me to float the solder in the gap between the rail and sleeper - much the same as the aluminium jig does. This will also allow me to offer up the plastic rail plates each side afterwards - cosmetically.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah, now I see how the baseplate fits in, didn't quite follow what you meant in your previous post.

Can't help thinking you'd be better off with some brass or nickel silver strip of suitable thickness rather than making up the difference in height with solder though.

Ah, now I see how the baseplate fits in, didn't quite follow what you meant in your previous post.

Can't help thinking you'd be better off with some brass or nickel silver strip of suitable thickness rather than making up the difference in height with solder though.

But this way I can clean up the sleepers and add the base plates with bolts either side of the rail...

In that case, I think I'd go for metal strip the same width as the foot of the rail and cut it into sleeper width rectangles. I'd worry about the strength of just using solder, although I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I'm not worried about this, the soldered joints are very strong.

What I am worried about, however, is that the geometry around the switches doesn't seem correct. I think the point plan is too long which means the angle I've filed on the switch blades using my jig doesn't match.

More head scratching.

Pass the wine...