7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

I suppose it doesn't matter as you have a board across the front.

How will the finished boards be packed / transported?

Our normal 'standard' is to have bolt on ends that are configured in such a way that they interlock when stacked. 

I'll show you what I mean when we get to that bit, the base scenery will go on first so as to determine the depth the end boards need to be.

• Like 2

Joking aside, why do you have the buildings removable ? If each board has end protectors and are stacked when being transported, would the buildings not be protected if left in place ?

I think its a personal preference thing.

The buildings on DitD are all stuck down bar the signal box.

for BCB they all come off and get packed in boxes.

If you remove the buildings there's a risk of them getting damaged from moving them, if you leave them on the boards there's a risk of them getting damaged from moving the boards.

Its a no win compromise in my view

• RMweb Premium

Joking aside, why do you have the buildings removable ? If each board has end protectors and are stacked when being transported, would the buildings not be protected if left in place ?

Good question Stu, and one where there's a range of opinions rather than a right answer.

From all the layouts I've been involved with over the years, my preference is for delicate buildings to be removable and packed safely away in boxes. I've seen more damage happen to buildings when they are left on the layout. A heavy board being loaded into a van or storage space can do a fair bit of damage. Cats and mice can also be an issue ;-p

The point is that buildings can take a huge amount of time and effort to make and are worth looking after. Yes the can get damaged when being removed but the fact they are removable makes them easier to repair. Those I'm building for Pencarrow will be removable although they will spend most of the time on the layout as it will be permanently up at home.

Good question Stu, and one where there's a range of opinions rather than a right answer.

From all the layouts I've been involved with over the years, my preference is for delicate buildings to be removable and packed safely away in boxes. I've seen more damage happen to buildings when they are left on the layout. A heavy board being loaded into a van or storage space can do a fair bit of damage. Cats and mice can also be an issue ;-p

The point is that buildings can take a huge amount of time and effort to make and are worth looking after. Yes the can get damaged when being removed but the fact they are removable makes them easier to repair. Those I'm building for Pencarrow will be removable although they will spend most of the time on the layout as it will be permanently up at home.

I think its also worth adding that the buildings on DitD are only tacked on with glue, i.e. they could be removed if need be..

• Like 1

A little progress this morning, I've cut the trackbed board (with its angled front) and the side supports for back board No 3.

post-8734-0-95493400-1485604187_thumb.jpg

Now I've decided that the board is to be narrower I need to adjust the position of one of the locating dowels.

post-8734-0-69468100-1485604518_thumb.jpg

The red line shows the reduced width of the new board against board No 2. You can see that I need to bring the dowel in to the right a couple on inches.

• Like 6

First job today is to make the adjustments to the board end now its not going to be as wide. Basically this will involve moving the outer locating dowel inwards by a couple of inches.

Here I'm working out how far in it needs to come. The blue line is the new board edge, the left pilot hole is where the existing dowel would be located and the pilot hole to the right of the cutter is for the bolt hole. So where I'm holding the bit is about where we need to be.

post-8734-0-25942500-1485688717_thumb.jpg

Once the new pilot hole has been drilled the dowel hole can now be cut out.

post-8734-0-88374400-1485688806_thumb.jpg

And here the new dowel holes are cut, not ideal but necessary.

post-8734-0-64325400-1485688882_thumb.jpg

Next job is to cut the board end to its new length.

• Like 3

Still think you could have built this board as a 'dropped' one, with the trackbed on stilts, but it looks like you've got a plan.

I don't know what we would have gained from that. The board would have been a lot higher and had the potential for a board joint along the length of the steep embankment.

It's too wide to combine the front and back boards together.

Ah, I thought if the board was lower it would be at 'base' level, but I see what you mean about the split in the embankment.

I'll shut up.

The hill behind the track is very steep upwards. If I'd built the board down to base level as you suggest I'd end up with baseboards at least 2 feet high.

This is about sensible compromise and minimising the layout 'volume'.

And this is before we put the trees on, something young spams has mentioned more than once.

• Like 1