Dapol 08

Kickstart

Your a lucky man....my wife was not as thoughtful in her comments to me (muttered something about what she would have done with the money I appear to have squandered).

That  is  a  very  common  occurance,  well it  is  in  our  household,  I got  a  big  box today   but  not  0 gauge!!  They  are  very  difficult  to  sneak  in  especially  when  the  Interlink driver  parks  right  outside  the  house

Re: Windscreen wipers, as usual check prototype photos before fitting them, early examples weren't fitted with them, there's even a photo of a blue example at  http://www.rail-online.co.uk/ without them.

A good clue to the lack of windscreen wipers is the omission of a bulge ahead of the cab droplight, the bulge was to allow the small forward facing cab window to hinge fully backwards for cleaning, the bulge acted as a recess for the ww motor which was mounted on the window frame.

Regards, Mick.

• RMweb Gold

I got mine today and have three (probably) stupid questions:-

(i)  How do I get the body off (I know that the roof comes off, but I would like to remove the body, if I can); and

(ii) both the red and adjacent white light are permanently on on the cab end.  There is an ESU Loksound v. 4 fitted to the loco; has anyone else encountered this problem, or do I have a faulty loco/decoder; and

(iii) is there a cab light fitted?  There appears to be something on the cab roof, but I cannot be sure what it is.  

All assistance gratefully received.

PM

PS: Thanks to all who posted pics.

I got mine today and have three (probably) stupid questions:-

(i)  How do I get the body off (I know that the roof comes off, but I would like to remove the body, if I can); and

(ii) both the red and adjacent white light are permanently on on the cab end.  There is an ESU Loksound v. 4 fitted to the loco; has anyone else encountered this problem, or do I have a faulty loco/decoder; and

(iii) is there a cab light fitted?  There appears to be something on the cab roof, but I cannot be sure what it is.  

All assistance gratefully received.

PM

PS: Thanks to all who posted pics.

Earlier in this thread I gave a clear warning that 21MTC compliant decoders will not work the lights correctly in this model. ESU Loksound 21 pin decoders are 21MTC compliant decoders, so it's not a surprise to find that they they do not work correctly. You will have to rewire the model to get the rogue shunting lamps under control as this is a hardware incompatibility issue.

The model was designed for ZIMO decoders or other 21 pin non - MTC decoders.

Yes there is a cab light, on AUX 1. You may need to remap your decoder.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

I've ordered a Bachmann 21 pin to go with mine. I use both a Bachmann Dynamis and a SPROG DCC for programming. I've not had issues with programming Bachmann chips before. How can I tell if its 21MTC compliant?

Your a lucky man....my wife was not as thoughtful in her comments to me (muttered something about what she would have done with the money I appear to have squandered).

1. This is why you have a bag to take to work. It can hide the visual clue's. A normal work bag may arouse less suspicion if used everyday. Small loco's will suit this method most.

2. Next key is to remove the smell. Women can smell an unauthorised purchase from 1000ft.

3. Also ensure to buy a bunch of flowers, this will ensure the smell is better (but not completely masked). The bonus being, should the plan work, you will be in said missus' good books for at least an hour.

4. Should the purchase be questioned at a later date, say you've always had it.

5. Should point's 1-4 fail, start to pray and consult the advice of a solicitor.

edit: With apologies to our female members!

Edited by Coldgunner

I've ordered a Bachmann 21 pin to go with mine. I use both a Bachmann Dynamis and a SPROG DCC for programming. I've not had issues with programming Bachmann chips before. How can I tell if its 21MTC compliant?

I also mentioned earlier that you will need as a minimum 5 Function Outputs. Dapol has since confirmed that this is the case.

As the Bachmann decoder probably only has 4, it's irrelevant whether it's 21MTC compliant or not as it is falls short of the basic requirement for the number of Function Outputs, or AUX as some brands call them.

Kind regards,

Paul

Guest 40-something

1. This is why you have a bag to take to work. It can hide the visual clue's. A normal work bag may arouse less suspicion if used everyday. Small loco's will suit this method most.

2. Next key is to remove the smell. Women can smell an unauthorised purchase from 1000ft.

3. Also ensure to buy a bunch of flowers, this will ensure the smell is better (but not completely masked). The bonus being, should the plan work, you will be in said missus' good books for at least an hour.

4. Should the purchase be questioned at a later date, say you've always had it.

5. Should point's 1-4 fail, start to pray and consult the advice of a solicitor.

edit: With apologies to our female members!

6.  Tell 'em to go **** themselves, its my money, I earned it and will spend it how I wish  :onthequiet:

Guest 40-something

That's thrown a spanner in the works. I think I've got some sapphire chips in other loco's but I think those are still 4 function. Is there any recommendations for suitable decoders?

I think this one is suitable for a sound install, not sure for non-sound.

Im not sure whether to put sound in mine or not.  My 7mm project wont be starting for a good while yet as Im slowly building up stock and have a 4mm layout to finish (start!) ready for exhibiting next year.

Is anyone else a bit concerned about the in my opinion slightly excessive noise when the 08 goes along (I have 2 of them and they are both the same). At very slow speeds it is hardly noticeable but as soon as you speed up a little there is quite a 'wherring' sound/noise - much, much noisier than say any of my Heljan diesels. In time it will hopefully get drowned out by DCC sound - has anyone else experienced this 'wherring' sound/noise. Hopefully I haven't got a couple of duffers!! I would be interested in any thoughts on this. A good run around my club's test track will no doubt help next weekend but I can't see the 'wherring' disappearing that much............................????????????????

Guest 40-something

Is anyone else a bit concerned about the in my opinion slightly excessive noise when the 08 goes along (I have 2 of them and they are both the same). At very slow speeds it is hardly noticeable but as soon as you speed up a little there is quite a 'wherring' sound/noise - much, much noisier than say any of my Heljan diesels. In time it will hopefully get drowned out by DCC sound - has anyone else experienced this 'wherring' sound/noise. Hopefully I haven't got a couple of duffers!! I would be interested in any thoughts on this. A good run around my club's test track will no doubt help next weekend but I can't see the 'wherring' disappearing that much............................????????????????

Mine has that noise too, think its maybe just the sound of the mechanism amplified in the plastic shell?  Runs very very well though, straight out of the box with no running in.  

• Like 1

I think this one is suitable for a sound install, not sure for non-sound.

Im not sure whether to put sound in mine or not.  My 7mm project wont be starting for a good while yet as Im slowly building up stock and have a 4mm layout to finish (start!) ready for exhibiting next year.

Yes, ZIMO MX644D, that's what I have in mine and is also what Dapol will be fitting.

I notice that it is described as a 21MTC decoder in that link. That is incorrect. The MX644D is NOT a 21MTC decoder so will work fine in this model, (The MX644C, on the other hand, is 21MTC compatible so is not suitable).

Paul

That's thrown a spanner in the works. I think I've got some sapphire chips in other loco's but I think those are still 4 function. Is there any recommendations for suitable decoders?

Non-sound, ZIMO MX634D

Sound ZIMO MX644D  

Pop up to my sound demo/clinic at the Spalding show this weekend and I'll let you know what's what. 

Kind regards,

Paul   

Buy flowers??!!?? Are you mad??? :nono:

That usually increases the Suspicion Factor - by about 1000%!!!!  :scared:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Agree 1

Paul, do you have the connection speed to take and upload video while you're at the show?

Ha ha.

You've obviously never seen my demo stand at a show. I'm usually so busy that I'll be lucky to get a toilet break toward the end of the show each day! 

I am taking a video camera but more in hope than expectation.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Earlier in this thread I gave a clear warning that 21MTC compliant decoders will not work the lights correctly in this model. ESU Loksound 21 pin decoders are 21MTC compliant decoders, so it's not a surprise to find that they they do not work correctly. You will have to rewire the model to get the rogue shunting lamps under control as this is a hardware incompatibility issue.

The model was designed for ZIMO decoders or other 21 pin non - MTC decoders.

Yes there is a cab light, on AUX 1. You may need to remap your decoder.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul

I'm afraid your earlier warnings were pearl before the swine so far as I am concerned; I do not know the distinction between a 21MTC compliant and 21-pin non-MTC decoders.  But I have learned something today! 

Your 08 sound recording sounded superb; so how do I get hold of it on a suitable Zimo decoder?

Peter

Thanks Paul

I'm afraid your earlier warnings were pearl before the swine so far as I am concerned; I do not know the distinction between a 21MTC compliant and 21-pin non-MTC decoders.  But I have learned something today! 

Your 08 sound recording sounded superb; so how do I get hold of it on a suitable Zimo decoder?

Peter

Peter,

Don't worry, that appears to be fairly widespread. LOL

That's why the smart money is on PluX22 where this sort of confusion cannot arise.

As for the ZIMO decoders with my sound projects, Digitrains (only) has the ActiveDrive version, whilst the ProtoDrive is available from me.

I've sent you a PM.

Kind regards,

Paul

Here it rolls into my small O Scale layout, "Lyddlow Goods"...

The name reminded me of the stations on a sparsely populated part of our country...  Hindlow on the route to Parsley Hay.  Not a lot of similarity, however some nice photos:-

http://www.sutherland.davenportstation.org.uk/aaprint/ash.html and search for "62-05".

Edited by Western Star

Non-sound, ZIMO MX634D

Sound ZIMO MX644D  

Pop up to my sound demo/clinic at the Spalding show this weekend and I'll let you know what's what. 

Kind regards,

Paul   

Thanks for the offer, I would have come along if it weren't for work, as I'm only down the road from it really. I'll be at Warley though if that helps?

Although I've already bought the Bachmann decoder, I might as well try it out or failing that run DC in it until I get a suitable decoder. There's always another loco the decoder can go in.

Edited by Coldgunner

Couple of photos of initial stages of fitting sound to my black 08, following Paul's instructions, using a Zimo MX644D, LS40x22x09 twin speaker and his Activedrive sound file. Final speaker fixing and wiring tidying still required. Burbles along nice & smoothly and lighting fully operative. It will be interesting to compare this to the factory fitted sound green version currently on order. I succumbed to the black one as too impatient to wait for the green!! :O

Must do something about the lack of windscreen wipers though.

gallery_8865_4100_875580.jpg

gallery_8865_4100_747178.jpg

Edited by vaughan45
  • Like 3

Must do something about the lack of windscreen wipers though.

As pointed out yesterday they didn't have them! Lots of early photos can be viewed on Railonline

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1051670273/e4801047c

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1051670273/h4833EF32#h480103e8

Now opening up the second exhaust port on the bonnet may be difficult.

post-387-0-73577100-1478952045_thumb.jpg

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2