Dapol 08

Kickstart

35606990661_c2f577497c_q.jpg

35568932692_5621489ec1_q.jpg

35568931192_b3ce2854a5_q.jpg

There we go. I added a bit of black tack under the bonnet at the top to fix both ends of the speaker.

The right side i tried a cotton bud with ipa to soften things up before I started at the logo with the back of a scalpel blade. I then moved onto a tamiya paint stirrer, as I found the flat end had a nice sharp edge without the risk of stabbing myself and it's nice and rigid, unfortunately I found this spread the area requiring touched up so on the other side I just went straight in with the paint stirrer and I think it went better.

Touching up was done with Humbrol Acrylic railway colour. Then Tamiya satin clear. Then more humbrol because the satin clear was all chalky...

35606990661_c2f577497c_q.jpg

35568932692_5621489ec1_q.jpg

35568931192_b3ce2854a5_q.jpg

There we go. I added a bit of black tack under the bonnet at the top to fix both ends of the speaker.

The right side i tried a cotton bud with ipa to soften things up before I started at the logo with the back of a scalpel blade. I then moved onto a tamiya paint stirrer, as I found the flat end had a nice sharp edge without the risk of stabbing myself and it's nice and rigid, unfortunately I found this spread the area requiring touched up so on the other side I just went straight in with the paint stirrer and I think it went better.

Touching up was done with Humbrol Acrylic railway colour. Then Tamiya satin clear. Then more humbrol because the satin clear was all chalky...

Thanks,

Some good advice! I recently had to almost chisel off some silk-screen-painted branding/lettering on a coach.....now wonder if IPA wud have helped.

Nice work!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

34955135013_9bb4416b04_z.jpg

I did the ones above by hand, humbrol railway colour acrylic again. I did these by hand after trying the other side (below) with masking tape, of course with all the vents and things this inevitably lead to a lot of 'bleed'. So I had to do some more touching up with yellow.

35724490906_0fe1907272_z.jpg

Not sure BR ever painted the con-rods Pink.........but hey, live and let live I say  :laugh:

The perils of taking a photo on a phone in poor light! They are still Dapol's red. (which is only marginally more accurate than pink!)

Folks, can someone who owns one of these just check me - I have obtained one, and is it correct that on DC only the top white lights illuminate in the direction of travel (i.e. those at bonnet top and cab top)? I presume this is correct and the other lighting is controllable on DCC, but just want to check!

Thank you,

Alan

Folks, can someone who owns one of these just check me - I have obtained one, and is it correct that on DC only the top white lights illuminate in the direction of travel (i.e. those at bonnet top and cab top)? I presume this is correct and the other lighting is controllable on DCC, but just want to check!

Thank you,

Alan

This is covered in detail earlier in the thread :yes: Edited by leopardml2341

Thank you,

Alan

That's correct,

Martyn.

Thank you,

Alan

according to pauliebanger further up the thread you need a 21pin, non-MTC decoder with more than five functions.

I believe otherwise you need to do some rewiring on the PCB

• RMweb Premium

It's worth keeping an eye on the 'Dapol Outlet' section of DCC Supplies' website where they occasionally have returned 08s.

I picked up a 'Grade A' D3120 Green/wasps/unicycling Lion for £99 plus postage last week. Arrived earlier this week - the only fault I could find was a slightly misaligned cab, quickly and correctly re-attached.

Now considering which of the suitable green/TOPS ones it might become (045/064/065/066) with a change of emblem and numbers. plus a good coat of grot.

They also have Grade B ones for around £80 and Grade C for around the £60 mark... I'm rather tempted by the latter to do a snowplow conversion!

(And thanks to Giles for the very speedy supply of a set of wipers and guard irons for it!)

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 1

hi, to save time searching as i think this may have been answered already. what is the tidgy micro switch for under the bonnet and what is the usual reason for a direction light not working. i have just bought a 2nd hand 08 so am a newby with them.

thanks

i may have more questions soon :thankyou:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ossygobbin,

The little switch under the bonnet turns the cab light on/off.

Direction lights are limited on DC and can be fully worked on DCC with the correct DCC decoder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if a company do replacement Metal Ladders for the Dapol 08. one of mine broke today I can repair it but seems so fiddly

Thank

Were you sorted Bartb, or are you still after some??

I've just de-laddered my new Green/wasps one (ready to be TOPS'd), so have a pair of white painted ladders (still intact) going spare.

Free to a good home. Just the ladders, brackets are staying on the loco (as per the prototype)

Cheers!

Edited by CloggyDog

Please, another reminder- if anyone wants to order wipers or guard irons - PLEASE include your address when ordering, as PayPal doesn't give them to me!

Likewise, if you want both, they are £9 inc postage

All the best, and thanks!

Hello

Just been looking at the September issue of Hornby Magazine, and I see that in the inside back cover there is a photo of the 1st decorated sample of 08173.

Now I have the digital issue, but it looks like to me that it has a black cab roof, would this be correct? 

Has anyone seen other decorated samples of the next batch of 08s?

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT