Dapol 08

Kickstart

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Just been looking at the September issue of Hornby Magazine, and I see that in the inside back cover there is a photo of the 1st decorated sample of 08173.

Now I have the digital issue, but it looks like to me that it has a black cab roof, would this be correct? 

Has anyone seen other decorated samples of the next batch of 08s?

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

08173 was withdrawn around mid/late 1978, but Polmadie depot retained it in working order as their depot pilot and unofficially renumbered it PO1, in which guise it lasted until around 1984.

Now, 08 cab roofs get grubby very quickly, but https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3914/14523640922_934946035f_b.jpg shows it as PO1 in 1982 with a very blue roof (which could, of course, have been repainted since withdrawal)

In 1984, it got reinstated as 08173 (with mis-matched numbers!), https://flic.kr/p/q5xshd and https://flic.kr/p/9JCy5X by which time the cab roof was grubby to the point of being black-ish. Then ran until the late 80s before being withdrawn, condemned and scrapped.

Haven't been able to track down a pic of it pre-PO1 though...

The linked pics also neatly show the lack of bonnet door grabs :onthequiet:

Edited by CloggyDog

Those figures are excellent David.  I've got some but I'm struggling to get the faces to be convincing.  Any tips?

John

Cheers, my paints and techniques come from painting Games Workshop figures when I want a change from railways.

Games Workshop produce several flesh tones and shade washes, the skin on these were:

Base coat of "Cadian Felshtone", then a shading wash of "Reikland Fleshshade", initial highlights with Cadian Fleshtone again, and a final highlight on the most prominent features with "Kislev Flesh" which is a much paler skin tone.

If you don't want to buy the specific paints you could just use one flesh colour, use thinned tan brown for the wash, then mix in a little white for the final highlight.

Hope that helps.

David

• 1 month later...

I assume Dapol know what they are doing with the red buffer shanks on the above loco

The TOPS version has yellow shanks

attachicon.gif08-2.JPG

I'm afraid they are the same, early, hinged-door type.

(You could always get the scalpel out! ;)  )

attachicon.gif08.JPG

And the Black roof....... :mosking:

Ok, I'm outta here!

I wud never ass-u-me anything about Dapol and their interpretations of the prototype LOL!

I note that the weird brass/PB bushes are now painted in the same colour as the cranks and coupling rods, shame that they werent completely removed.

TBF to Dapol, Ive seen photos of replacement buffer assys. in different colours, so it is possible on certain prototypes, if correct, well done Dapol, a nice, well observed (?) touch.

George Dent in Model Rail, did a nice job of removing equip. boxes, removing door hinges etc etc. on the Dapol 08. Altho he missed adding, iirc, guard irons etc, he turned out a cracking model nevertheless.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Premium

I thought I read previously they are bringing out a version without hinges in due course but this was just a quick rerun as the first batch sold well?

On a different note the much discussed black bonnet top has gone from the green with stripes version I believe.

I note that the weird brass/PB bushes are now painted in the same colour as the cranks and coupling rods, shame that they werent completely removed.

CME

enlarging the photos of the latest 08s, on here and on various other online retailers pages it looks as though the brass bushes have been removed http://www.hattons.co.uk/259392/Dapol_7D_008_011U_Class_08_shunter_in_BR_blue_without_ladder_unnumbered/StockDetail.aspx

Good news!

Jon

I thought I read previously they are bringing out a version without hinges in due course but this was just a quick rerun as the first batch sold well?

On a different note the much discussed black bonnet top has gone from the green with stripes version I believe.

IIRC the later variant was mentioned....time will tell, AFAICT only one 08 with GFYE/WS had a black roof, so that change should help Dapol sell more/give the GFYE 08s have wider appeal...

enlarging the photos of the latest 08s, on here and on various other online retailers pages it looks as though the brass bushes have been removed http://www.hattons.co.uk/259392/Dapol_7D_008_011U_Class_08_shunter_in_BR_blue_without_ladder_unnumbered/StockDetail.aspx

Good news!

Jon

Hi Jon,

I cant tell from a mobile device, the cranks still look quite thick, but if the bushings are gone thats great news for purchasers of later models.

Atvb

CME

The more I see of the 08 the more impressed I am and the more I want one, having driven several they really are full of character and Dapol have captured this so well in my view. I've asked a mate for his copy of Model Rail with the detailing article so there's no excuse now, it looks like I need to bite the bullet, buy one and remove the door hinges to do the WR example I 'need'!

• Like 2

IIRC the later variant was mentioned....time will tell, AFAICT only one 08 with GFYE/WS had a black roof, so that change should help Dapol sell more/give the GFYE 08s have wider appeal... Hi Jon,

I cant tell from a mobile device, the cranks still look quite thick, but if the bushings are gone thats great news for purchasers of later models.

Atvb

CME

Hi,

I had a good look at them at Telford and can confirm the brass washers have gone. Typical as I took mine off .....

Martyn.

Hi,

I had a good look at them at Telford and can confirm the brass washers have gone. Typical as I took mine off .....

Martyn.

That's errr...... $ods law, likewise, mine to do with the help of a nice little device  :imsohappy:  :imsohappy: Martyn....

Can you just remind me Martyn, did you have to cut down the shafts afterwards, if so cutting disc or cutting saw, on or off of the loco?

Kindest regards,

CME

Hi CME,

Regarding the cutting of the axles, I used a piercing saw as the axles are quite hard and I thought that if I used a cutting disc the axles might heat up and cause a problem with the bearings or final drive gear.

I still need to weather mine, but I have a 101 other jobs on my plate at the moment. Still better to be busy than bored.

Regards,

Martyn.

Hi CME,

Regarding the cutting of the axles, I used a piercing saw as the axles are quite hard and I thought that if I used a cutting disc the axles might heat up and cause a problem with the bearings or final drive gear.

I still need to weather mine, but I have a 101 other jobs on my plate at the moment. Still better to be busy than bored.

Regards,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Thanks. Good advice! Likewise, working my way through painting and weathering wagons etc. It all keeps the grey cells active!

Kindest regards,

CME.

• Like 1

I did not bother to alter the cranks etc, but the brass was cleaned with solvent and brass black(copper carbonate) was added to blacken the brass, cleaned again and oiled, removes to brass effect! Very reliable model indeed, looking forward to the 3F next week.

I did not bother to alter the cranks etc, but the brass was cleaned with solvent and brass black(copper carbonate) was added to blacken the brass, cleaned again and oiled, removes to brass effect! Very reliable model indeed, looking forward to the 3F next week.

It wasn't so much the look of those brass spacers that bugged me, but how far the quartering was out. I have looked at a few 08's since then and they're all the same, all out by a mile. So that was the main reason I removed the cranks.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link