Dapol 08

Kickstart

D3120 was one of the unclassified Crossley engined examples that had been withdrawn by 1968. Photo's of them are very rare, let alone a colour one. Green with the early logo could be found on 08's though and at least two, and probably as many as four received TOPS numbers in this livery, so it lasted late. I've found two that lasted late, 08181, D3249, a photo of which can be found here,   https://flic.kr/p/icfdBE   and 08221, D3291, photos of which can be found here, https://flic.kr/p/g7fq6A and here, https://flic.kr/p/rWWSaY   . One thing to watch out for was that D3120 was fitted with two exhauster boxes, whereas D3249 and D3291 did not have the RH one fitted, so cannot be modelled using your model without modification.

Paul J.

Just pre ordered numberless blue and green from hattons they are estimating July for delivery.

I hadn't realised numberless versions were available.

I will have to look into that as I'd prefer to number them myself - I mentioned that to Dapol at Ally Pally years ago when these were first announced but they said they wouldn't be doing them as numberless locos didn't sell!!! - maybe they have come to their senses finally.....???

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any information regards the delivery of these long awaited models ?

I understand the late July delivery was pushed back to late August as the 2nd batch of Terrier models took the production slot.

I emailed Dapol yesterday and they hope to have a date by the end of next week.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

Just been watching a couple of the videos of the preproduction 08's, they look very good, but my only worry was that the coupling rods didn't remain horizontal when the locomotive was running. Let's hope that isn't the case with the production models.

Does anyone know if the DCC Supplies limited edition 08 is included in the first batch? Their website hasn't been updated since April - it refers to May as in the future - so that's no help and e-mails go unanswered. People were invited to express an interest in these models, with the promise of delivery in the late Summer which is now. Well I'm still interested but I'd appreciate a bit more information, and if it's not going to be part of the first batch I'll have a black one instead. 

This hobby really does seem to have a problem with communication, with the notable exceptioin of Tower who are superb.

UPDATE - I've just had an e-mail from DCC Supplies saying their 08 is expected during September which is fine.  That doesn't excuse their website being so unhelpful. 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete

I just updated my longstanding Hattons preorder to unnumbered late crest green - I'm hoping this will be enough to get my modeling reinvigorated after a trying couple of years. I have a pile of Lionheart minerals ready for a coal yard shunting plank...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see from the Tower website that the 08 has now been pushed to October delivery for the first batch, and that due to the exchange rate those fitted with DCC decoders (which are Zimo) have had a slight price rise.

On a separate note, does anyone know what the minimum radius for these are likely to be?

Rich

Is the latest October slip in forecast this year or 2017? Thanks to Tower Models for progress update but it is a really shame we have to learn of Dapol progress via a third party.

I guess the delay is more than to do with production issues of the Class 08 not the Terrier batch which has just filled the available empty production slot. As I said I'm guessing about the latest delay excuse and would look to Dapol to be a little more forthcoming and responsible for communicating real progress themselves. Shame as I was looking forward to a really positive change in 0 gauge ready-to-run when Dapol first released their Class 08 announcement in ...? Er... what year was it... I can't remember it was so long ago.

Time for for me to move to another hobby as this one does not deliver as expected and have wasted so much time waiting for products to arrive late or just don't arrive (this is now sadly typical of many suppliers using offshore suppliers).

Well I've lost patience now with this particular model seeing as i ordered pretty much as soon as it was annoncued I'm fed up with the continued slipping.

This year alone it's slipped at least three times, June into July into August into Spetember and now Hattons saying November or December it'll be 2017 next !

I really really want the O gauge RTR scene to succeed, but Dapol need to realise consumers won't put up with continued slips to delivery dates, if you ordered a new car would you wait years for it ?

Guest 40-something

I'm not trusting anything said from Hattons, seen them give wrong dates before

The dates Hattons give come from the manufacturer, so no reason to slate them