Dapol 08

Kickstart

Just for info, I took the decision today and cancelled my Dapol order for two locos and am going to use money saved to buy a new camcorder to film the real thing. So if any one is interested there a two more Dapol Class 08's out there for reservation but sadly there is no guarantee you will ever get them.

:jester:  :jester: Calm down it's only an 08 shunter and a plastic model to boot :jester: :jester:

• Like 2

:jester:  :jester: Calm down it's only an 08 shunter and a plastic model to boot :jester: :jester:

And thats why I'm going to do something different and more productive with my money while I have the time to. (Thinking out loud..... "I wonder how many older modelers hoping to own this to fine loco many years ago will have enough time to enjoy it when it finally turns up?")

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, I'd worked that one out. And what a good move, too - his input has made a helluva difference to Dapol's models already! :yes:

It's still an interesting price gap between the ex-Lionheart & proposed Dapol Panniers. Economies of scale when it comes to volume of production.?

I was told the other day, by a very reputable supplier, that a significant part of the reason for this 'merger' is that the chap behind Lionheart, who apparently remained at Dapol one-day-a-week while he was running Lionheart, is now in his 70s and wants to slow down a bit and does not want to be having to handle the retail side of models - he's an engineer and loves designing and creating things by all accounts.  By combining the two businesses and concentrating on Dapol, he's now doing three days a week, but concentrating on what 'he' wants to do.

Sounds like a superb chap, long may he be able to continue to do what he enjoys, and long may we, as modellers, benefit from it.

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it frustrating when models are delayed like this? Yes. Would it be nice if Dapols communications were better? Yes. However this particular model looks like being a bit of a game changer (to use a ghastly cliche, sorry) and the pre-production models looks outstanding and an absolute bargain. Given all the complaints about prices (I'll admit, I'm guilty of that....) it is genuinely nice to see a company bringing a top product out at such a bargain price. If I'd paid up front it would be different as then I'd expect the supplier to supply at the agreed time, but they have taken no cash from anybody AFAIK and not broken any contracts with customers. Have a look at some of the OO models announced years ago and the time Dapol have taken with this project doesn't really look out of the ordinary.

And thats why I'm going to do something different and more productive with my money while I have the time to. (Thinking out loud..... "I wonder how many older modelers hoping to own this to fine loco many years ago will have enough time to enjoy it when it finally turns up?")

gosh that's a bit ' black cloud' thinking ......... 

Is it frustrating when models are delayed like this? Yes. Would it be nice if Dapols communications were better? Yes. However this particular model looks like being a bit of a game changer (to use a ghastly cliche, sorry) and the pre-production models looks outstanding and an absolute bargain. Given all the complaints about prices (I'll admit, I'm guilty of that....) it is genuinely nice to see a company bringing a top product out at such a bargain price. If I'd paid up front it would be different as then I'd expect the supplier to supply at the agreed time, but they have taken no cash from anybody AFAIK and not broken any contracts with customers. Have a look at some of the OO models announced years ago and the time Dapol have taken with this project doesn't really look out of the ordinary.

Don't disagree and seen the pre production prototype running at one of the shows. Just a little hacked off (as you can probably guess) about the lack of Dapol communication an miss communication throughout, especially from the chap that is no longer with them. I a lionheart loco and know owners credability. Hope he can help haul Dapol out of the mess they appear to be making with the class 08 and make the new 57xx a success... and on time! Time will tell .... if we have any left of course.

Don't disagree and seen the pre production prototype running at one of the shows. Just a little hacked off (as you can probably guess) about the lack of Dapol communication and miss communication throughout, especially from the chap that is no longer with them. I have a lionheart loco and know owners credability. Hope he can help haul Dapol out of the mess they appear to be making with the class 08 and make the new 57xx a success... and on time! Time will tell .... if we have any left of course.

gosh that's a bit ' black cloud' thinking .........

Sorry about that but its probably true. It would be interesting to know how many class 08s there are on original reservation list with suppliers/shops after loco was announced. Might lead to some interesting phone calls when shops start to call customers to say locos are now in stock don't you think? Now that really black!

I wonder how many people have got a layout waiting for it to run on, and how many haven't even started it yet. I bought an Ixion Hudswell Clarke because I was fed up with waiting for my Terriers, but only got the layout running about a week before the Terriers arrived. So my impatience proved to be pointless.

Guest 40-something

Sorry about that but its probably true. It would be interesting to know how many class 08s there are on original reservation list with suppliers/shops after loco was announced. Might lead to some interesting phone calls when shops start to call customers to say locos are now in stock don't you think? Now that really black!

must be a bundle of fun in your house

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I didn't even know about the Dapol 08 until the other day, but then again, I've only recently started to get interested in 'O' gauge.

Now I find that I'm going to be tempted by this 08, as well as the various panniers and other industrials.

The price for the (non-DCC) 08 is simply amazingly low, in my view, as compared with some of the other 7mm R-T-R locos (but then again, I might be wrong, not knowing much about 'O' gauge).

If in doubt, I hear that banana-eating in Haverfordwest can prolong your life by about 4 and a half years.

• Like 4

Well, I didn't even know about the Dapol 08 until the other day, but then again, I've only recently started to get interested in 'O' gauge.

Now I find that I'm going to be tempted by this 08, as well as the various panniers and other industrials.

The price for the (non-DCC) 08 is simply amazingly low, in my view, as compared with some of the other 7mm R-T-R locos (but then again, I might be wrong, not knowing much about 'O' gauge).

If in doubt, I hear that banana-eating in Haverfordwest can prolong your life by about 4 and a half years.

Wait till you see one of these 08's moving, I saw one on demo at the Bristol 7mm exhibition last January, they are so smooth and slow, which gives them that sense of weight and power.....yum yum.

• Like 1

Wait till you see one of these 08's moving, I saw one on demo at the Bristol 7mm exhibition last January, they are so smooth and slow, which gives them that sense of weight and power.....yum yum.

Don't disagree lovely loco and saw it at Bristol also, so looking forward to seeing it again at next show in 2017.

It would be interesting to know how many class 08s there are on original reservation list with suppliers/shops after loco was announced. Might lead to some interesting phone calls when shops start to call customers to say locos are now in stock don't you think? Now that really black!

My only concern is, do i add another to the one i have resereved already...! :scratchhead:

Brian.

Guest 40-something

Everybody who has one on order hasn't paid anything and can cancel their order at any time. That is why it DOESN'T MATTER that it's delayed.

• Like 1

Everybody who has one on order hasn't paid anything and can cancel their order at any time. That is why it DOESN'T MATTER that it's delayed.

The voice of reason... it's only a trainset, there's more important things in life to worry about! It will arrive eventually and then you can play with it until your heart's content!! ;)

My only concern is, do i add another to the one i have resereved already...! :scratchhead:

Brian.

I would be quick and reserve it soon as Dapol only have the Black & Blue (With D number) versions left for us dealers. Every other version has already being fully reserved by us dealers. You may be lucky and hit on with a dealer and get the version you want but I only have the above versions left myself, everything else has been long pre-ordered.

Regards

Chris

I would be quick and reserve it soon as Dapol only have the Black & Blue (With D number) versions left for us dealers. Every other version has already being fully reserved by us dealers. You may be lucky and hit on with a dealer and get the version you want but I only have the above versions left myself, everything else has been long pre-ordered.

Regards

Chris

Thanks for the head`s up Chris.

I have a later blue one on order,but have been thinking of another, so`s i can paint it into railfreight red & grey.

Cheer`s,

Brian.

• Like 1

It would be much better if I had the class 08 when it was originally forecast.

Maybe, but what sort of model would it have been, when originally forecast??

A 7mm version of the Lima 4mm 08/09, I reckon - vaguely Gronk-shaped but nowhere near as good as what we are about to receive. ;)

Thanks for the head`s up Chris.

I have a later blue one on order,but have been thinking of another, so`s i can paint it into railfreight red & grey.

Cheer`s,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Send me a PM if you are interested in another 08.

Regards

Chris