Revolution Ben

Not wanting to say anything before now, I can now tell you all that I asked to do the Drax biomass wagons in N gauge, when I first found out about them being done in OO gauge.

I was told by the lady in charge there that 'Drax do not want to get involved in seeing them in any other gauge and are happy with the amount made in OO gauge', so I'm afraid unless someone got in earlier is a courtesy answer to me, it ain't gonna happen in N gauge.

Dave

Perhaps it is related to their deal with Hornby and it having a all scales exclusivity clause in it, but they can't say that due to nda stuff so gave you a generic not interested response?

Whilst Hornby don't seem interested in doing more Arnold range n models, they might have felt like reserving the option in case they changed their minds.

Although at £83 each the OO models are way beyond a price point for a wagon imo.

• RMweb Gold

I've pre-ordered 4 NSE 321's today but just before paying I noticed that the bank account details were different to that for the Pendolino. Are they the right details? Just thought I would check before parting with all that cash!

Jeremy

Well spotted (and it is correct as we opened a new account in the Revolution name rather than the N gauge Pendolino project name).

Cheers Mike

That's right, to be fair it started with the new model announcment.

I think the Drax wagons have reached a dead end now anyway in light of Dave's insight, and there's a new thread for the container flats, so back to the 321s...

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Mea culpa. The thread for the new PFA/KFA container flat is here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109600-revolution-to-produce-pfakfa-container-flat-in-n/

The 321 is now ready to go to CAD as we have the drawings and detail photos, though more research will undoubtedly be needed!

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi all,

Mea culpa. The thread for the new PFA/KFA container flat is here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109600-revolution-to-produce-pfakfa-container-flat-in-n/

The 321 is now ready to go to CAD as we have the drawings and detail photos, though more research will undoubtedly be needed!

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I am personally really excited about the 321. Can't wait to see the CAD drawings!

Best regards,

Jeremy

I hadn't been keeping up with the forum because work has been very busy recently - so I hadn't realised that pre-ordering is now open! I would have thought that as I'd registered interest at the earlier stage, I would have had an email? What about people who registered interest but don't follow forums at all?

I hadn't noticed that there was a newsletter (though have just signed up as part of the pre-order process for the 321s). I would have thought that registering an interest via the first form that was published would have been an ideal way of getting further information when the project progressed ...

• 4 weeks later...

I have just received an email to tell me online ordering is open for both 320 and 321 with a special price reduction for early pre-orders. Unfortunately the website falls down at the payment stage as it doesn't seel to like French postcodes containing only numbers! Hopefully this will be fixed soon so that I may place my preorder as I am very much looking forward to this model.

• RMweb Gold

What happened to the 456?  Is it dropped now or still pending a decision?

Just wondering if I'll need to get a 320 unit to convert ya see  :)

Hi Paul

Sorry I missed this earlier - unfortunately not enough interest to justify full new tooling so we need to work out what compromises are possible/acceptable before making a final decision.  That will probably be once the CAD is well underway.

I have just received an email to tell me online ordering is open for both 320 and 321 with a special price reduction for early pre-orders. Unfortunately the website falls down at the payment stage as it doesn't seel to like French postcodes containing only numbers! Hopefully this will be fixed soon so that I may place my preorder as I am very much looking forward to this model.

I've done a bit more digging and it is an issue with either our card processor or some UK banks - I've raised it with the card processors and will let you know the outcome. I've emailed you a couple of solutions.

Cheers, Mike

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The research stage of this model is pretty much complete now.  We went to Wabtec at Doncaster a couple of weeks ago to photograph the underframe gear on one of the units there being transformed under Eversholt's "Renatus" project. This involves a lot of work - completely replacing the interiors and much of the traction equipment and adding air conditioning.  Two units are being converted at a time.

post-420-0-44948000-1464508753_thumb.jpg

The basic shells are in a pretty good condition for vehicles that are a quarter of a century old so externally the new units are largely unchanged, though they do have visible air con units on the roof, above each door vestibule and new plain windows, without the silver frames or top ventilation panels.  The bogies are visibly unchanged; though they too are having some modifications.

The work involves the entire units being jacked up, which gave us a great opportunity to get underneath and measure the various underframe parts.

post-420-0-90617600-1464508778_thumb.jpg

EARLY BIRD DEADLINE

post-420-0-04965800-1464509440.jpg

The EarlyBird price offer closes on June 30th.  This gives purchasers a discount as follows, and customers qualify for the full discount whether they pay the full amount for the model or just the deposit:

Class 320 - DCC Sound fitted £275  £260

Class 320 - DC (DCC ready) £180 £165

Class 321 - DCC Sound fitted £300  £285

Class 321 - DC (DCC ready) £205 £190

The aim of the EarlyBird discount is simple - like the Pendolino we need customers to commit to this model now so we can get on with it.  The expressions of interest were very encouraging, and gave us the confidence to proceed, but at the moment are not being matched by orders.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

Guest eddie reffin

Hi Mike/Ben,

I was wondering how far away from the minimum order to do the Strathclyde Orange 320 you are? The Saltire one is far to new for my needs and the only other option I can see is to do the plain white one with vinyl which I am less keen to do.

Cheers

Eddie

I've ordered the 2 London Midland 321 and the Saltire 320 already but the issue I have is that whilst there are others I would like I simply can't justify the large outlay (50% deposit) on pre-ordering a product that may or may not get done at this moment in time - Granted this would be refunded in any instance of the product not going ahead but it does to a certain degree make me not to want to speculatively order more at this moment in time.

However perhaps if orders for said items were 'close' to reaching the point they would go ahead I would reconsider this of course (Even without the early bird offer).

When Realtrack did the class 144 and class 143 in conjunction with Rapido, they did not ask for anything as an upfront deposit, I can see why asking for a 50% deposit upfront would put people off, why can't you use the money you have received from the pendolino in upfront deposit's and future balance payment's to tool up the class 320/321?.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Mike and I want the 321s to go ahead, and according to the expressions of interest this should be possible.

I can understand that people might not want to put down a deposit, or the full amount, and that's fair enough but, realistically, for these niche models it's the only way to make it happen.

Using money paid out for the Pendolino isn't an option because it's ring-fenced for the Pendolino.  It would be wrong for us to take people's money for one project and spend it on another.  In my view each crowd-funded project has to pay for itself.

Just a few years ago the idea of punters coming together to produce these models that the manufacturers consider too "niche" would have seemed impossible.  Now, together, we can do it but the catch is that we need some cash up front.  It was needed for the Pendolino, needed for the tankers and will be needed for other models in the future too.

If you have already supported us - thanks.  If you haven't, and you want a 321, please don't wait for others to step forward.  Plus, if you pledge before July 1st, you get an extra £15 off.

In terms of other liveries, we want to do as many different liveries as possible but for obvious reasons there have to be minimum quantities for each scheme.  The Strathclyde livery, along with Silverlink, are the two that were closest to the threshold previously, so I do hope that going forward these do come into full contention.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

Ben

I will be putting down for one but it will be towards the end of June. I don't really need one at the moment but I like it.

And of course if I find that I don't need it in time I can always move it on Aka the APT-E way for all those that decided to wait till it was available which it won't be if people don't sign up for one in time.

Guest eddie reffin

Thanks for that Ben, I'll get a couple ordered at the end of the week and hopefully there will be enough orders to allow the orange one to go ahead.

Thanks again

Eddie