Revolution Ben

• RMweb Premium

It was Dapol who did the 'land grabbing' on the 92 and Pendo, but the point still stands. Not entirely sure it's the end of the world, unlike those models I don't think the 319 is quite as desirable.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

It's been a little longer than anticipated, but we have just received the first CAD drawings for the Class 321.

post-420-0-25957100-1496529707_thumb.png

There is still a fair amount of detail to add. One correction we have already identified are the small cutouts on the top corners of the windscreen - these should be on the non-driving side only.

post-420-0-82244100-1496529763_thumb.png

This is the Class 321 DTCO vehicle; I am anticipating seeing the other vehicles in the train in due course.

As ever any comments welcome.

Cheers

Ben

• Like 9

Hello all,

It's been a little longer than anticipated, but we have just received the first CAD drawings for the Class 321.

attachicon.gifIMG_5567.PNG

There is still a fair amount of detail to add. One correction we have already identified are the small cutouts on the top corners of the windscreen - these should be on the non-driving side only.

attachicon.gifIMG_5571.PNG

This is the Class 321 DTCO vehicle; I am anticipating seeing the other vehicles in the train in due course.

As ever any comments welcome.

Cheers

Ben

Absolutely superb Ben! Despite the minor errors you mentioned, they were well worth the wait.

Looking forward to seeing the other vehicles!

Just one quick question Ben, will it be possible to couple up two sets together?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely superb Ben! Despite the minor errors you mentioned, they were well worth the wait.

Looking forward to seeing the other vehicles!

Just one quick question Ben, will it be possible to couple up two sets together?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, there will be a NEM coupler pocket at the end. Exactly how it is arranged is TBA but either there will be a cosmetic BSI coupler that plugs into the NEM socket, or it will just clip into the air dam, with the standard coupler supplied in the box.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

CADs of the PMSO have just arrived, and are being subjected to the same scrutiny as those for the DCTO originally seen.

post-420-0-09752200-1497167568_thumb.png

There is some detail in the pantograph well that needs to be added (fine strip across the open "end") and the CAD does not yet have couplers or gangways. A standard window is also missing at the left end on each side.

This vehicle is the power car in the model, as in the prototype.

post-420-0-39658800-1497167588_thumb.png

For more information see our website.

Any comments welcome. We anticipate completing this CAD fairly soon, then we will be ready to move to tooling.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Thane,

We will be keeping spares for the the powered models as part of the usual manufacturer support, but were not planning on getting into the spares market per se.

The issue with pantographs as spares is that they need to be properly assembled, painted and packaged so realistically they are a new project in their own right.

What might be sensible is for us to get a price for blister packed pantographs (probably in a pair) and open that up to pre-orders, and if adequately supported it can go ahead.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know LE models sell their pantograph models in blister packs, assembled and painted. As the popularity of electric models increases I could foresee a nice niche for really nice pantograph models as aftermarket accessories.

Hello all,

CADs of the PMSO have just arrived, and are being subjected to the same scrutiny as those for the DCTO originally seen.

attachicon.gifIMG_5623.PNG

There is some detail in the pantograph well that needs to be added (fine strip across the open "end") and the CAD does not yet have couplers or gangways. A standard window is also missing at the left end on each side.

This vehicle is the power car in the model, as in the prototype.

For more information see our website.

Any comments welcome. We anticipate completing this CAD fairly soon, then we will be ready to move to tooling.

Cheers

Ben A.

Too small by far. Needs to be about double the size. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These look really good.

I modelled the WCML in 00 gauge many years ago. I wish I had money/space/time to have a crack at it again in N gauge as these are looking to be excellent models.

Hi Karhedron,

I had no idea!  Had you as dyed-in-the-wool GWR!

We have a payment plan option... a 321, 92 and Pendolino could be the perfect basis for a small side project...!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Ahhh crap. I knew this would happen. I'd managed to resist the 321 on the grounds I really, really, really didn't need one, at all. 

Then you posted the CADs.....

Tom (Now lighter to the tune of 1x 321)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

have a payment plan option... a 321, 92 and Pendolino could be the perfect basis for a small side project...!

Now you're just reminding me that I should've bought a second Pendolino!

• Like 1

Hi Karhedron,

I had no idea!  Had you as dyed-in-the-wool GWR!

I am (at least in N Gauge ;)). But I have had a fondness for the WCML ever since being captivated by the futuristic lines of the APT as a nipper. Now that is what the Pendlino should have looked like! :jester:

My 00 collection is now relegated to the loft due to space constraints but many years ago I made some inroads on some of the unusual stock for a layout based on the WCML in London. MTK's finest class 83 and 313! Now those were kits for a REAL modellers. None of this 3D printing malarky, you had to file the shapes out of lumps of white metal. Kids today don't know they're born. :D

post-887-127084792542_thumb.jpg

DSCF2042.jpg

We have a payment plan option... a 321, 92 and Pendolino could be the perfect basis for a small side project...!

Aargh no! My wallet cannot take the strain! I can resist everything except temptation.

The funny thing is that I am not even that into freight workings but I keep thinking how impressive a 92 would look at the head of a rake silver bullets.....

15740700221_a2ee8856a0_b.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Is there any news on which liveries are liveries are going ahead? I've still got my fingers crossed (probably in vain) that the original WYPTE Metro 321/9 will make it into production.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

MTK's finest class 83 and 313! Now those were kits for a REAL modellers. None of this 3D printing malarky, you had to file the shapes out of lumps of white metal. Kids today don't know they're born. :D

Wow - the actually bear a decent resemblance to the prototype! Well done!

The 92s will look great with the Dapol silver bullets and I rather like the ECML steel trains between Scunthorpe and the Continent. See here:

https://flic.kr/p/9BXh25

Easily creatable with Farish multi-fret intermodals with scratchbuilt or 3D printed frames for the cradles.

Back to the 321 - in answer to the question about the Northern Metro 321/9s at the moment all liveries (Northern red/blue/grey and original red/cream) are struggling. The newest livery - plain blue - was not in our plans at launch.

I am hoping that the CAD images will bring some more people on board; the NSE is there and Strathclyde 320s are close; it would be nice to do the Metro version to complete the sectorisation era options.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 2

Could I clarify then - for class 321 the liveries listed individually on the RevolutioN website are confirmed? :

• NSE
  • London Midland
  • First Capital Connect

I wasn't sure whether to read your message as that all the other liveries ARE going ahead, or that all others are struggling? The missing closing parenthesis makes it ambiguous! 

What is the latest thinking for pre-orders for liveries that don't go ahead? e.g. if First Great Eastern doesn't go ahead, I'd really like either undecorated or plain white - but failing that I guess I'd have to get an extra NSE model. 

Justin

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just to try to answer questions about liveries, but please bear in mind that this is a learning process for Mike and me too.

At the moment the only confirmed liveries are Saltire for the 320 and NSE, London Midland and FCC for the 321. This has been the same for several months as fresh orders had slowed right down, but Mike and I put this down to a relative lack of visible progress on the model.

The next closest to reaching the minimum needed to justify production are Strathclyde orange/black and Silverlink. The remainder are some way off their required targets.

I suspect in part this is because in an effort to offer everyone what they wanted we actually offered too much, and diluted the market.

We have already eliminated One, National Express and Abellio, and I think others will need to follow soon to start narrowing things down. Surprisingly the plain white option is also nowhere near the required numbers, but it may be as we start to eliminate liveries then people choose to switch to that and it gets a boost.

Now the CADs are here we hope to see orders increasing, and to encourage people not to wait until the last minute we willl also consider increasing the price but we will give notice of this to allow those who are waiting to get in at the cheaper rate.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Well, the first 'First' livery was vinyls over the NSE livery leaving quite a bit of the NSE silver grey uncovered.

Unfortunately it had a lot of extra white between the cab and the first set of doors, which would make it difficult to replicate this on the model with decals (without resorting to vinyls - which tend to be so thick they obliterate far too much detail for my tastes). 

I think it was a really handsome livery! The curves were quite tasteful (compared to later 'First' liveries). Probably the best of the early TOC adaptations of NSE livery - compared with the early SWT livery and LTS Rail green stripe replacing NSE red.  

• RMweb Gold

What happens if I wanted an original Strathclyde PTE orange & black, but you don't get the required numbers - can I get a refund. Really not interested in any other livery.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, at the point we cancel liveries customers can either get a refund or transfer to a "surviving" livery. Of course, we are really hoping people will transfer!

This is the reason why we are keen to nail down the liveries at the CAD stage, and before we go to tooling. CADs are relatively cheap, and the cost does not have a huge impact on the project. But once we start spending everyone's money on tooling then it becomes far harder to give refunds.

Cheers

Ben A.