Revolution Ben

Weighing up whether to order a Northern one with WYPTE as a secondary choice.

Can anyone confirm the DCC situation for non sound fitted models? Will they require just one decoder, or extra ones for lighting like the Farish desiros?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Weighing up whether to order a Northern one with WYPTE as a secondary choice.

Can anyone confirm the DCC situation for non sound fitted models? Will they require just one decoder, or extra ones for lighting like the Farish desiros?

Thanks

Hi Ash,

We are aiming for a solution that means only one decoder is needed. For Mike and I this is a clear priority, but we haven't yet finalised the coupler situation as we are waiting for the first CADs.

Cheers

Ben A.

Cheers Ben for your help as always.

My thinking was if 2 or more decoders were needed, it'd make more sense to go for a sound one for a relatively small uplift.

If I placed an order for a DC version and you couldn't come up with a solution where 1x decoder was needed, would I be able to upgrade to a sound version before production?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eddie reffin

Finally decided to bite the bullet and order a Saltire 320......... And a pair of KFAs............and a pair of 92s! Just as well I had four Sunday's in my last pay! Could easily spent much more but I still have the layout shed to insulate, oh and the small matter of getting married next year lol

• Like 1

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, I think that's the plan, though until the design is signed off we won't have a price for them. But I imagine they will be about the same as the Dapol, but in single packs.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thank you Ben. I don't mind paying a bit more for an accurate version as the Dapol high speed pantograph is a bit overscale.

Best regards

Jeremy

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Ash,

The 92 is now ahead of the 321 which has taken significantly longer to turn into CAD. As is known now, we have been working on both, but the 321 is more complex and comprises more vehicles.

I do understand that those awaiting a 321 may be disappointed - I am keen to get a 321 too! - but we felt that the majority of 321 customers would probably be in for a 92 too anyway.

We have already confirmed Network South East, First and London Midland liveries as going ahead, and Silverlink is close.

For the 320 we have already confirmed Scotrail Saltire and London Midland unbranded, with Strathclyde "Jaffa Cake" bubbling under.

But other liveries are struggling; even the unbranded plain white which should, in theory be everyone's second choice!

Mike and I are taking a bit of a breather post Warley but we are expecting to sit down and take stock of this project soon, and we think we will probably have to make some difficult decisions to drop some liveries. At least two have fewer than 30 sales - that's not viable.

The 92 CAD is just about done now, when it is we will ask Rapido to go back to the 321 and get it to a point where we can show it. Once we show CADs of it too our experience is that there will be a flurry of new orders; and it may be they will get some of the less popular liveries over the line.

Apologies for the long answer but I wanted to be as comprehensive as possible - feel free to ask further questions.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

Hi Ash,

The 92 is now ahead of the 321 which has taken significantly longer to turn into CAD. As is known now, we have been working on both, but the 321 is more complex and comprises more vehicles.

I do understand that those awaiting a 321 may be disappointed - I am keen to get a 321 too! - but we felt that the majority of 321 customers would probably be in for a 92 too anyway.

We have already confirmed Network South East, First and London Midland liveries as going ahead, and Silverlink is close.

For the 320 we have already confirmed Scotrail Saltire and London Midland unbranded, with Strathclyde "Jaffa Cake" bubbling under.

But other liveries are struggling; even the unbranded plain white which should, in theory be everyone's second choice!

Mike and I are taking a bit of a breather post Warley but we are expecting to sit down and take stock of this project soon, and we think we will probably have to make some difficult decisions to drop some liveries. At least two have fewer than 30 sales - that's not viable.

The 92 CAD is just about done now, when it is we will ask Rapido to go back to the 321 and get it to a point where we can show it. Once we show CADs of it too our experience is that there will be a flurry of new orders; and it may be they will get some of the less popular liveries over the line.

Apologies for the long answer but I wanted to be as comprehensive as possible - feel free to ask further questions.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the update. Can't wait to see the 321 CAD's when they are ready.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Ash,

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben for taking the time to explain the state of play, no apologies needed re the length!

It's a shame some people will be disappointed livery wise, but it's inevitable interest will be spread thin with so many prototype liveries to choose from. My personal situation is a bit unusual, I'm in for a Northern 321/9 and if it makes the cut, I'll also add a plain/unpainted one to convert to a 322 in plain blue to run with it. If the 321/9 doesn't make it in any form, I'll probably change to a Scotrail 320 as it's the most attractive one for a 'rule one' type purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eddie reffin

Ben/Mike,

Could you advise me please on how close the SPT 320 is to the required numbers? I am planning on ordering one to go with the Saltire one already ordered. If it's not going ahead, how easy would it be to change it to a 2nd Saltire one instead?

Also, would a 325 be a future possibility given that the running gear of the 321 is very similar. I realise new under gubbins would be required but the drive etc is all the same configuration. A lot of people would buy multiples as they run in up to 12 car sets.

Cheers

Eddie

• RMweb Gold

Could you advise me please on how close the SPT 320 is to the required numbers? I am planning on ordering one to go with the Saltire one already ordered. If it's not going ahead, how easy would it be to change it to a 2nd Saltire one instead?

Also, would a 325 be a future possibility given that the running gear of the 321 is very similar. I realise new under gubbins would be required but the drive etc is all the same configuration. A lot of people would buy multiples as they run in up to 12 car sets.

Hi Eddie

Both the SPT 320s are some distance away from being viable - the orange/black one is looking more likely than the Carmine and Cream.  If you place an order for either you will be asked to nominate a second choice which you can put as a Saltire 320.

325 - we have been thinking about how we could use the Mk3 tooling for future projects (and the 325 is definitely something we have talked about and would fit with our WCML theme!), but that is something for the future!

Cheers, Mike

325 - we have been thinking about how we could use the Mk3 tooling for future projects (and the 325 is definitely something we have talked about and would fit with our WCML theme!), but that is something for the future!

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

What have I told you about choosing things that you want.

It's got to stop, all this overtime to buy the models you want, and by extension, I need, is killing me!

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

Guest eddie reffin

Thanks Mike

I'll get another ordered when I get paid on Friday... call it an early Christmas present to myself!

Good to know that the 325 is at the back of your mind. The fact they are not requiring interiors would also be a bonus!

Cheers

Eddie

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

What have I told you about choosing things that you want.

It's got to stop, all this overtime to buy the models you want, and by extension, I need, is killing me!

I have to agree with Alistair here. I implore you not to do a 325, because I'll have to buy 3, and that'll cause all sorts of problems.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ben and Mike,

Please forgive my laziness of not wanting to trawl back through this thread, but could you tell me if you have any future plans for up scaling into OO? I would've thought there's a bigger market for OO (although I do not have much in the way of evidence to support this!), and I for one would love some decent OO gauge EMUs, having got the bug from the excellent Bachmann 350s.

Kind regards,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the note.   We are not planning to announce anything else in 00 until we have actually delivered some models, and these are the 00 TEA tankers which are at the first EP stage and being tested by Rapido, our manufacturing partners.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the note.   We are not planning to announce anything else in 00 until we have actually delivered some models, and these are the 00 TEA tankers which are at the first EP stage and being tested by Rapido, our manufacturing partners.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the response Ben.

I like the fact it's not a definitive 'no'!

If it ever does come about, please do Silverlink 321s in OO.

Love the EPs of your OO TEA by the way; I'm sure they'll sell very well.

Kind regards,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I don't blame Revolution for being a bit cautious about investing in 4mm EMU models. With the great standardisation of the BR 20m Mk3 DMUs/EMUs, it should be "low-hanging fruit" for Bachmann.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

I don't blame Revolution for being a bit cautious about investing in 4mm EMU models. With the great standardisation of the BR 20m Mk3 DMUs/EMUs, it should be "low-hanging fruit" for Bachmann.

Whilst that is true, the last Mk3 EMU rolled off the production line around a quarter of a century ago. Bachmann has not released any EMUs based on that bodyshell despite having the related 150 Sprinter in its repertoire.

Part of the problem with Mk3 derivatives is that although they were widespread, they were divided into lots of comparatively small classes, with plenty of detail differences between them, many of which worked quite restricted areas. Choosing which family to model is quite a minefield. The 319 from Farish is probably a smart move as they work both AC and DC lines and have migrated further than many of their breathren.

Ben and Mike have the advantage of having a clear choice in the class 321/4 as it fits perfectly alongside their forthcoming Pendolino and sales of when will help drive sales of the other. Then it just a question of working out how many close cousins they can produce from the tooling. Bachmann don't have a Pendolino in their range so they lack an obvious match to work with. Since they have the 319 in N gauge, I guess the odds of it appearing in 00 are better than any of the other units but they appear to have pretty much given up on their old ambition of mirroring their 00 and N gauge ranges.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst that is true, the last Mk3 EMU rolled off the production line around a quarter of a century ago. Bachmann has not released any EMUs based on that bodyshell despite having the related 150 Sprinter in its repertoire.

Part of the problem with Mk3 derivatives is that although they were widespread, they were divided into lots of comparatively small classes, with plenty of detail differences between them, many of which worked quite restricted areas. Choosing which family to model is quite a minefield. The 319 from Farish is probably a smart move as they work both AC and DC lines and have migrated further than many of their breathren.

Ben and Mike have the advantage of having a clear choice in the class 321/4 as it fits perfectly alongside their forthcoming Pendolino and sales of when will help drive sales of the other. Then it just a question of working out how many close cousins they can produce from the tooling. Bachmann don't have a Pendolino in their range so they lack an obvious match to work with. Since they have the 319 in N gauge, I guess the odds of it appearing in 00 are better than any of the other units but they appear to have pretty much given up on their old ambition of mirroring their 00 and N gauge ranges.

Absolutely right on all points. Complete mystery to me why Bachmann went for the more expensive option of the 350/450.

The detail differences are just that, detail. There is a huge commonality of parts which should enable Bachmann to bring out several variants with minimal extra tooling. And that means that theirs would/should be, a good deal cheaper than from a new supplier who has to start from scratch (although, of course, the business model of Revolution is very different as it is mainly direct retail).

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Farish announcing a 319 could be a terrible thing... What with the very slow progress made by many Bachmann/Faish products, it could quite easily turn out to be a holding announcement similar to the Farish Pendolino and 92 that "blocks", by accident or design, another group from making their own.

Back onto the 321 I cant wait to see the CADs given how good the progress with the KFAs, 92s and Pendolino has been!

Edited by m0rris