Prototype HST announced for N

mikeharvey22

Hallo,

I entered "Protoype HST" in Google.de and clicked on photos (or whatever it's called) and did not find any difference in the yellow ends in the photos that were displayed, and there were scores of photos. Can anyone enlighten me? What is the difference between Full Yellow Ends and Partial Yellow Ends? 

Thanks in advance 

es grüßt

pc

I've expressed an interest in the model, but would have liked to see a few more options for people, such as a shorter set, inclusion of the buffet cars and as somebody has posted on another forum, 41001 and it's remaining coaches as they are currently in preservation.

I think if I had the choice my preference would be to commit to a HST-P as it would have run prototypically, maybe from the feedback Dapol might include some more options for us.

<Edit> Some more thoughts:

Will both power cars have a motor or are we talking the more usual Power + Dummy approach. Also, I think a nod toward the inclusion of sound might be good, either engaging with someone who could produce / has a sound project for the power cars that might be available as an option or to modify the chassis design so that fitting a sound chip would be easy (Next18s anybody?)

Edited by Vonzack

• RMweb Gold

I have no need at all for a prototype HST set, but I'm in.  I think given the amount of new tooling Dapol are having to invest in to make the PCs and re-tool roof and windows (and remove CDL) on the Mk3s that the price is more than reasonable. I suspect Dapol are offering the 8 Mk3s as it risked being not viable to do less accurate prototype Mk3s.

The two versions of yellow ends:

Initial smaller yellow: http://www.traintesting.com/images/252001-btm%20-%20andy%20kirkham.jpg

Later more yellow: http://www.traintesting.com/images/Etches_1980-1.jpg

More on the consist here: http://www.traintesting.com/consist_HST.htm

Tooling the catering cars would have been the icing on the cake but probably always unrealistic and for those who really want them I'm sure some enterprising kit basher will think of a way to produce the catering cars.

For those worried about not having the space etc I don't think you will struggle to sell on any excess prototype Mk3s (to people wanting to convert them to Royal Train or production HST set coaches!).

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Apparently Dapol aren't currently planning on releasing the HST-P power cars as separate models. However, if enough people pester them then they may consider it.

Personally the full train is of little interest (outside my normal modelling era), but I'd like a power car for use with my collection of Derby RTC test cars.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi,

Great set and I'm definitely up for one of these. My only thought was (and it may have already been mentioned) but there are already 8 coaches in the set, why sell a separate set of 2 additional coaches? Did it ever run with 10 coaches??

Surely it would make more sense, financially and from the point of view of creating the interest for the model, to release the two car add on set as two additional buffer/kitchen coaches. I've seen several photos with the set running with two catering cars. I doubt they would get 200 expressions of interest for two standard coaches but the catering cars would be a winner as everyone would want a set to complete the rake. They would swiftly recuperate the costs of the additional tooling. As the meerkats would say "simples"!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

This will just about fit my era. I think it is a fantastic initiative. It may not be exactly as I would choose in an ideal situation, but isn't that true of most things we buy? Better a model that is say 2/3 of the way there than nothing at all. If it needs changing in any way to meet my needs, I am happy to have a go myself.

I am definitely putting my name down for one.

BTW I hope this is very well publicised or many will miss the initiative entirely or at least not realise that they have to register an interest.

Edited by Echo

I have no need at all for a prototype HST set, but I'm in.  I think given the amount of new tooling Dapol are having to invest in to make the PCs and re-tool roof and windows (and remove CDL) on the Mk3s that the price is more than reasonable. I suspect Dapol are offering the 8 Mk3s as it risked being not viable to do less accurate prototype Mk3s.

The two versions of yellow ends:

Initial smaller yellow: http://www.traintesting.com/images/252001-btm%20-%20andy%20kirkham.jpg

Later more yellow: http://www.traintesting.com/images/Etches_1980-1.jpg

More on the consist here: http://www.traintesting.com/consist_HST.htm

Tooling the catering cars would have been the icing on the cake but probably always unrealistic and for those who really want them I'm sure some enterprising kit basher will think of a way to produce the catering cars.

For those worried about not having the space etc I don't think you will struggle to sell on any excess prototype Mk3s (to people wanting to convert them to Royal Train or production HST set coaches!).

Cheers, Mike

Thanks.

I'm in anyway, just wanted to know which version, I expect that most will be the smaller yellow end.

Suppose repainting two Dapol RFM catering vehicles, whilst not 100% accurate will still give the look and feel 

es grüßt

pc

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Having placed my pre-order, I received a confirmation email from Dapol with some extra details which have not yet been posted here.

The box set of "two extra grey and blue saloon coaches" (£49.99) listed on the pre-order form is actually for two Dapol Mk3 RFM catering vehicles painted in reverse grey/blue to match the prototype HST box set. Andy acknowledged that the window configuration would be incorrect, which is why they are being offered separately. I have decided to pre-order these as well as although they are a compromise, on my layout, the only person who knows they are incorrect will be me!

I also made a suggestion to Dapol that they could consider producing the "full yellow end" version as a box set of just the two power cars, as by the time the power cars were running in this livery they were usually hauling blue/red departmental coaches from the RTC-Derby and vehicles from the prototype APT. Andy said they would look into this idea.

Hope this info is of interest.

Cheers,

Tom

(edited to correct "prototype HST" to prototype APT)

Edited by tiger

Hi all,

Having placed my pre-order, I received a confirmation email from Dapol with some extra details which have not yet been posted here.

The box set of "two extra grey and blue saloon coaches" (£49.99) listed on the pre-order form is actually for two Dapol Mk3 RFM catering vehicles painted in reverse grey/blue to match the prototype HST box set. Andy acknowledged that the window configuration would be incorrect, which is why they are being offered separately. I have decided to pre-order these as well as, although they are a compromise, on my layout, the only person who knows they are incorrect will be me!

I also made a suggestion to Dapol that they could consider producing the "full yellow end" version as a box set of just the two power cars, as by the time the power cars were running in this livery they were usually hauling blue/red departmental coaches from the RTC-Derby and vehicles from the prototype HST. Andy said they would look into this idea.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

does this mean Dapol have made the decision to go ahead with production?

John.

Tom,

does this mean Dapol have made the decision to go ahead with production?

John.

No, I don't think the decision has yet been made - but I don't really have any inside information on this, I am only a potential customer. I hope people are not put-off placing pre-orders because the information about the two extra coaches shown on the pre-order form is not correct...

• RMweb Gold

Tom

I also suggested that Dapol might want to consider doing a pack as it is now ie 1 x power car + 3 production Mk3s painted in reverse grey/blue.

With a bit of experience of running these sorts of expressions of interest campaigns, I really feel Dapol need to make it easier for people to respond and more importantly get the word out better that they are relying on expressions of interest.  I suspect a large portion of potential customers are blissfully unaware!

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

A "preserved" pack is a good idea especially as the RFM would actually be correct in this case. It would open up potential sales to modellers of the contemporary scene rather than just the 1970's (and early 80's if you include the full yellow end Derby RTC versions).

There hasn't been a huge number of posts on this forum about this release which I hope doesn't reflect a general lack of interest.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Yes - I would definitely be in for the "present day" set as you outline.

Although I'd definitely like one of these I am umming and erring a bit before signing up because £350 is quite a lot for a model that is not really my main field of interest.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi all,

The box set of "two extra grey and blue saloon coaches" (£49.99) listed on the pre-order form is actually for two Dapol Mk3 RFM catering vehicles painted in reverse grey/blue to match the prototype HST box set. Andy acknowledged that the window configuration would be incorrect, which is why they are being offered separately. I have decided to pre-order these as well as although they are a compromise, on my layout, the only person who knows they are incorrect will be me!

I also made a suggestion to Dapol that they could consider producing the "full yellow end" version as a box set of just the two power cars, as by the time the power cars were running in this livery they were usually hauling blue/red departmental coaches from the RTC-Derby and vehicles from the prototype APT. Andy said they would look into this idea.

Cheers,

Tom

(edited to correct "prototype HST" to prototype APT)

Good news, expression of interest now in with the extra two RFMs

Hi all,

Yes - I would definitely be in for the "present day" set as you outline.

Although I'd definitely like one of these I am umming and erring a bit before signing up because £350 is quite a lot for a model that is not really my main field of interest.

Cheers

Ben A.

I go under the maxim of

Can you afford it? No

Do you need it? No

Can you justify it? No

Do you want it? Yes

Buy it

:)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how the "expressions of interest" are going for the prototype HST? I asked the same question on the Dapol's facebook page on 19th April and so far I've not had any replies.

Thanks,

David

Does anyone know how the "expressions of interest" are going for the prototype HST? I asked the same question on the Dapol's facebook page on 19th April and so far I've not had any replies.

Thanks,

David

They're a bit busy at the moment...Not aware of what shows are on right now and which they are attending by replies have slowed down.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• 4 weeks later...

The July 2016 edition of Rail Express reports that this model is to go ahead with a revision to the proposed pack contents:-

2 power cars

2 x 4 car sets of TS/TF and a 2x buffet set

It also says these will be the only prototype Mk3s as the tooling will be altered afterwards to ??????

Surely not Royal Train Mk3s.

Edited by mikeharvey22

• 2 years later...