RMweb

Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

That’s quite right, Boris. I’m sure Mick will have full details about it. I recall it’s lasting into the early seventies.

Rob.

Excellent, I'm just thinking of our new club layout and that we may now be having one of those for coming out of a yard or siding.

That’s quite right, Boris. I’m sure Mick will have full details about it. I recall it’s lasting into the early seventies.

Rob.

If memory serves, and usually these days it doesn't, there were a couple of these signals at Staddlethorpe as it was called in the early 60's. Now Gilberdyke, they were on the road crossings to the company houses in the vee of the junction of the Goole and Selby lines.

Hi Mick,

I'm not that familiar with an N8, but what is the driver sitting on to enable him to dangle his legs over the side of the cab?

Regards, Ian.

His bum?   :smile_mini2:

Been out with camera today.

Here's some from Selby on the far side of the flour mill.

I was surprised to find this abandoned inset rail

attachicon.gifIMG_3236.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3237.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3240.jpg

This abandoned Fowler was parked next to the crossing about fifteen years ago. The isolated BOCM internal siding being shunted by a unimog.

post-508-0-26795600-1537211266.jpg

P

• Like 7

Mick,

Interesting picture - I'd thought we only had A5/2s in the NE Region, but this looks like 98002, shedded at 53B Botanic Gardens.

Regards,

Roy

I'm sure you meant 69802, a loco  I had certainly seen in the Hull area in 1958 when then allocated to Botanic Gardens along with 69811 another A5/1 and 698832/36&37, all A5/2's

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Tonight, courtesy of the Creative Commons Licence, I have another photo’ from 18th April, 1961, by Ben Brooksbank to show you. It is Bainton station on the Market Weighton to Driffield line, looking towards Driffield.

post-22631-0-65975100-1537736425.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. I have the book, North Eastern Branch Lines Since 1925 by Ken Hoole, and pages 18 and 19 have two photo’s and a reference to those headboards as used by excursions on the Hornsea and Withernsea branches. For on page 18 are two photo’s. The top one is of a D22 number 663 on a Hornsea Express, tablet number 11, and in the photo’ below it is a J21, unidentifiable owing to being filthy dirty! It’s on another Hornsea Express, waiting to depart Hornsea station. No dates are given but about 1930 is possible.

Now tonight, I have another photo’, courtesy of the Creative Commons License, which is of two locomotives on York shed. A K3, 1387, and a D49/2, which I think is 247. The photo’ was taken by Walter Dendy sometime in 1939.

post-22631-0-56775200-1538250259.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

Botanic Crossing Hull, c1900

attachicon.gif1 Botanic c1900 actual print.jpg

Can you just remind us of No 53's details - (presumably Fletcher from the square cab windows, but all my references are in storage while I'm camped out with the mother in law).

On another tack, is it just me or did NER footbridges look really quite 'modern' compared to those of some other companies? (some of which tend to look like the 'Bridges of Madison County' if that was the film I'm thinking of, or that timber thing in Lucerne) Apart from the lack of wheelchair access, you could imagine something similar being built today. Or was there a big replacement programme in late Victorian times?

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone.

Tonight I’ve another photo’ from York. This time of of a view eastward at the north end of station. Seen from Platform 9N, the 17.13 train to Hull via Market Weighton and Beverley, stands at platform 8N, headed by LNER B1 4-6-0 No. 61071. When it leaves it will curve almost immediately to the right to cross Scarborough Bridge. Also of interest is that most of those departures were from the north end bay platforms. I don’t know why this train should have departed from 8N. I’m not sure of the date, but c1950 is a reasonable guess.

Finally, this is another photo’ reproduced under the Creative Commons License, and Ben Brooksbank was the photographer.

post-22631-0-51431100-1538338709.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

Can you just remind us of No 53's details - (presumably Fletcher from the square cab windows, but all my references are in storage while I'm camped out with the mother in law).

On another tack, is it just me or did NER footbridges look really quite 'modern' compared to those of some other companies? (some of which tend to look like the 'Bridges of Madison County' if that was the film I'm thinking of, or that timber thing in Lucerne) Apart from the lack of wheelchair access, you could imagine something similar being built today. Or was there a big replacement programme in late Victorian times?

Number 53 is a Fletcher Class 901 2-4-0, according to Ken Hoole's illustrated History of NER Locomotives (Appendix 1, page 240). You probably know that Number 910 of this class is preserved. I think it's still out on loan at Kirkby Stephen East, which is where I saw it last.

Regards,

Roy 

Good evening, everyone.

Tonight I’ve another photo’ from York. This time of of a view eastward at the north end of station. Seen from Platform 9N, the 17.13 train to Hull via Market Weighton and Beverley, stands at platform 8N, headed by LNER B1 4-6-0 No. 61071. When it leaves it will curve almost immediately to the right to cross Scarborough Bridge. Also of interest is that most of those departures were from the north end bay platforms. I don’t know why this train should have departed from 8N. I’m not sure of the date, but c1950 is a reasonable guess.

Finally, this is another photo’ reproduced under the Creative Commons License, and Ben Brooksbank was the photographer.

attachicon.gif712F2C8B-2733-49FF-B43A-1209737ABEEB.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

My guess regarding the departure from 8N would be that this train has been set back to collect a van left behind by a south bound train at that platform. A fish van perhaps, going home to Hull.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, everyone.

attachicon.gif712F2C8B-2733-49FF-B43A-1209737ABEEB.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

It would be interesting to be able to get a date for this picture as the loco is clearly in BR livery but the leading coach is still teak, whilst a 'totem' station name sign can be seen in silhouette to the left of the loco. 

I have questioned Dad about this and you are absolutely right !. It is a small world. He was quite pleased that someone still remembers her shop.

Apparently she had guaranteed custom as the shop was near a school.

I think it must have been when she retired that she bought the caravan at Withernsea and consequently my not very pleasant memories of the unnecessary closure and demolition of the Withernsea and Hornsea lines.

Like the photo of the interior of West Parade box. It must have been a demanding place to work.

Hello

I'm not sure if you will see this post as the original is quite old and you may have abandoned it by now.

If I am right, I probably knew Mrs Webb too. The Alliance Avenue school was Riley Technical High School and there were 2 shops that were used by the boys....the other was Mrs Walker whose shop was on the corner of Spring Bank West.

A shilling dinner money bought a sandwich (usually filled with crisps) a drink and a Park Drive tipped! Both shops had books for the pupils to buy stuff on tick....if a teacher came in veryone 'hid' their cigarettes behind their backs......those certainly were the days.

In th emeantime, freight trundled across the embankment nearby with regularity and the only loco I remember well was 61010 Wildebeeste........no photos though....and the school has since been demolished!

Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Tonight it’s a trip to Burton Agnes on the Hull to Bridlington line. You can see a great view of the boxes and level crossing. Sadly no date is given, I’m hoping someone might be able to date the photo’, which another reproduced under the Creative Commons License, and again taken by Ben Brooksbank.

post-22631-0-82040100-1538687747.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

Good evening, everyone. Tonight it’s a trip to Burton Agnes on the Hull to Bridlington line. You can see a great view of the boxes and level crossing. Sadly no date is given, I’m hoping someone might be able to date the photo’, which another reproduced under the Creative Commons License, and again taken by Ben Brooksbank.

attachicon.gif7446CDB8-1F2F-45A3-8B6C-2786FEE34415.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

The station still has pointwork, so 1960's.

Hello

I'm not sure if you will see this post as the original is quite old and you may have abandoned it by now.

If I am right, I probably knew Mrs Webb too. The Alliance Avenue school was Riley Technical High School and there were 2 shops that were used by the boys....the other was Mrs Walker whose shop was on the corner of Spring Bank West.

A shilling dinner money bought a sandwich (usually filled with crisps) a drink and a Park Drive tipped! Both shops had books for the pupils to buy stuff on tick....if a teacher came in veryone 'hid' their cigarettes behind their backs......those certainly were the days.

In th emeantime, freight trundled across the embankment nearby with regularity and the only loco I remember well was 61010 Wildebeeste........no photos though....and the school has since been demolished!

Ray

Yes indeed, Mrs Webb and Mrs Walker. Mrs Webb's shop is now turned back into a house, Mrs Walker's shop is now Sue's hairdressers, I live on the opposite side of the street, and approx midway between the two of them..