Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone, and once more, many thanks to Mick for posting some fascinating photos. Please keep them coming.

I’m late tonight, but have a photo’ which I took on Sunday at Cave LC. It shows the box, and one or two pieces of the yet to be commissioned new equipment. I hope you will find it of some interest.

post-22631-0-95603800-1525826522.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

V3 67686, Botanic shed. No details etc.

attachicon.gif1 V3 67686 Botanic.jpg

Hi Mick

This looks to be amazingly clean and tidy!!

Were these V3s the locos that were used on the Hawker Siddeley worker's trains that used to run from Paragon to Brough and back every day?

I remember going spotting at Brough and then travelling back to Hessle on the stopping service in the late afternoon. As both the stopper and the non-stop services back to Hull used to leave Brough at the same time, there was quite frequently a race to see which one could get ahead before the first stop came up!

Thanks for posting your collection of great pictures - they really are superb.

Best Wishes

• 2 weeks later...

I saw V3s in the early 60s on the "Brough workmans", which were quite an institution as I believe they were the last local trains to be steam powered. They were of 8 coaches and and as stated above their departure was fun as the two trains left simultaneously, one on the fast line non-stop to Hull and the other on the slow line, stopping at all stations.

Wasn't the Brough factory still "Blackburn's" (as in the makers of the Blackburn Beverly) rather than Hawker Siddeley when these trains ran?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. Thank you, Mick, for those most outstanding photos, and particularly the one you’ve just posted of Hutton Cranswick. That fills a gap in our local railway history.

If I remember correctly, I saw some photos of the trains from Brough to Hull in a magazine article. But I can’t find it or remember which magazine it was. I’ll have another look for it as soon as I can. I know it showed the trains were formed of Gresley Quad Arts.

Best regards,

Rob.

I saw V3s in the early 60s on the "Brough workmans", which were quite an institution as I believe they were the last local trains to be steam powered. They were of 8 coaches and and as stated above their departure was fun as the two trains left simultaneously, one on the fast line non-stop to Hull and the other on the slow line, stopping at all stations.

Wasn't the Brough factory still "Blackburn's" (as in the makers of the Blackburn Beverly) rather than Hawker Siddeley when these trains ran?

Ian

Simple answer to that, would be yes as Blackburn's became  Hawker Sidderely  in 1960. I was there in the early 70's and by then the DMU's where providing a service of sorts. The real train to catch was on a Friday, the works closed at 12.00 noon and if you could get to the station quick enough there was a train to Hull which usually was powered by a "running in" loco from Doncaster works. More than often a class 31 with the chalk lines on the cab side for the numbers and a smell of hot paint coming from the engine room. 

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 1

Hello, everyone. Thank you, Mick, for those most outstanding photos, and particularly the one you’ve just posted of Hutton Cranswick. That fills a gap in our local railway history.

If I remember correctly, I saw some photos of the trains from Brough to Hull in a magazine article. But I can’t find it or remember which magazine it was. I’ll have another look for it as soon as I can. I know it showed the trains were formed of Gresley Quad Arts.

Best regards,

Rob.

Funny things, memories. I could sware those coaches were BR Mk 1s!

Even worse, somewhere in my cellar I have some of my own photos of these trains - but where?

Ian

Funny things, memories. I could sware those coaches were BR Mk 1s!

Even worse, somewhere in my cellar I have some of my own photos of these trains - but where?

Ian

Rob / Ian / Judge D

Thanks for your responses on this - it would be really good to see some photos of the Brough Workmen's trains, if you can find them.

I think I've asked this quwation before - certainly I have in other forums - but never gpt a satisfactory answer. Perhaps lovers of the East Riding railways will do better?

Do you recall a large notice that stood in the grounds of Thomas Stratten School adjacent to the throat of Hull Paragon station? It implored engine drivers to avoid making loud moises, saying something like "School. Drivers please keep your engine quiet."

I'd like to use this on Bradford North ~Western and I would like to get the wording correct. I wonder if Mr Nicholson has a photo. It must have been within view of his old signal box, West Parade.

Ian

Surely the photo of 67686 is at Darlington Works ?. Doesn't look like Botanic Gardens.

Prior to he use of V1 and V3 locos on the Brough Workmens trains A5 and A8s were used. In later steam days LMR 2-6-0 locos also were used.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, for that superb photo’. I see the train is a typical mixture of BR Mk1, and Thompson stock. Sadly I have not yet located where I’ve put the magazine with the Brough workers trains in it. I’ll keep looking.

Now I saw this quite strange coupling arrangement at Scarborough earlier today. It was between two Mk1’s. It’s something which I haven’t seen before. The train itself was the Scarborough Spa Express to Lancaster. Arriving there at 22.41.

post-22631-0-18675800-1528999764_thumb.jpeg

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Thank you, Mick, for that superb photo’. I see the train is a typical mixture of BR Mk1, and Thompson stock. Sadly I have not yet located where I’ve put the magazine with the Brough workers trains in it. I’ll keep looking.

Now I saw this quite strange coupling arrangement at Scarborough earlier today. It was between two Mk1’s. It’s something which I haven’t seen before. The train itself was the Scarborough Spa Express to Lancaster. Arriving there at 22.41.

attachicon.gif018F5863-CB2C-44A0-BA52-07132E21CB91.jpeg

Regards,

Rob.

Seen that a few times on WCRC stock, usually one of the vehicles is not charging so a jumper cable runs between the two vehicles charging sockets.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, 45125, for the coupling explanation. It makes sense.

Now here’s a traditional three quarter front view of the train, with Merchant Navy, 35018, British India Line.

As usual, it was in platform one at Scarborough station.

post-22631-0-85582000-1529010704_thumb.jpeg

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 6

I think I've asked this quwation before - certainly I have in other forums - but never gpt a satisfactory answer. Perhaps lovers of the East Riding railways will do better?

Do you recall a large notice that stood in the grounds of Thomas Stratten School adjacent to the throat of Hull Paragon station? It implored engine drivers to avoid making loud moises, saying something like "School. Drivers please keep your engine quiet."

I'd like to use this on Bradford North ~Western and I would like to get the wording correct. I wonder if Mr Nicholson has a photo. It must have been within view of his old signal box, West Parade.

Ian

Hello Ian,

yes, I quite clearly remember that sign, quite large too, but cannot recall the exact wording.