Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks, Mick, for such excellent photos. Please keep them coming when you can.

Tonight I have a photo of Oxmardyke box taken from a train. It’s cropped on the left of the photo as a result of that, but I thought it would be worth posting since, in a few weeks it will no longer exist.

post-22631-0-91663200-1521924627.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 4

Many thanks, Mick, for such excellent photos. Please keep them coming when you can.

Tonight I have a photo of Oxmardyke box taken from a train. It’s cropped on the left of the photo as a result of that, but I thought it would be worth posting since, in a few weeks it will no longer exist.

attachicon.gif45D62E8B-239B-45D7-8BE4-98F6447F2602.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Rob, it will still be there in a few weeks, the resignalling has been put back, and now possibly next year. I have been told Oxmadike is to survive, for non signalling use, time will tell.

The Wheldrake DVLR station building, which has been deteriorating for years, appears now to be under restoration. I noticed this while going past in the car on the way back from a trip to the DVLR open day, coincidentally.

steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Wheldrake DVLR station building, which has been deteriorating for years, appears now to be under restoration. I noticed this while going past in the car on the way back from a trip to the DVLR open day, coincidentally.

steve

Hi Steve,

I've also noticed the station building being restored when passing, but assumed it was the old Thorganby station, but I could be wrong.

Regards, Ian.

It will be Thorganby station as this has been left to decay for some time (possibly after a planning dispute over a proposed change of use many years ago). The building at Wheldrake was, indeed, dismantled and most of it reconstructed at Murton.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All most certainly not East Riding, but certainly somewhere in the North East, I have no details. Can someomeone please name the location?

attachicon.gif1 D No1869 4-4-0.jpg

Mick,

1869 is one of the pair of NER Q1 locomotives built in 1896, as I'm sure you know.

The tender seems to carry the early form of NER crest, so the picture was probably taken early in the career of the locomotive. RCTS Part 3C says they were used on the East Coast Main Line northwards to Edinburgh and south to York, initially.

The architecture of the buildings in the background, coupled with the height above the railway, suggests Edinburgh as the location, I think.

Regards,

Roy

Mick,

1869 is one of the pair of NER Q1 locomotives built in 1896, as I'm sure you know.

The tender seems to carry the early form of NER crest, so the picture was probably taken early in the career of the locomotive. RCTS Part 3C says they were used on the East Coast Main Line northwards to Edinburgh and south to York, initially.

The architecture of the buildings in the background, coupled with the height above the railway, suggests Edinburgh as the location, I think.

Regards,

Roy

A look at St Margaret's Shed in Edinburgh seems to fit.