Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Further to the picture of the "Hoss", here is the contemporary signalling drawing of Sculcoates, and possibly, worthy of comment.

attachicon.gif06_SCULC.JPG

What is the purpose of No.25, is it a sort of Shunt Ahead signal that just gives authority to clear the crossover or is there a slip road which doesn't show up on the drawing (as far as I can see)?

Edited by The Stationmaster

Marfleet in April 1978 was a vandalised eyesore but strangely it has survived.

21758041.73847208.800.jpg

The reason why Marfleet station survives and more in particular the road bridge in the background of the last photo is the presence of a high pressure gas main underneath the track bed here.

Edited by Judge Dread

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for your contributions. That's particularly interesting information about the high pressure gas main underneath the former track bed at Marfleet.

Tonight I would like to take you on a journey to the west as far as Selby. This is logical really, for it forms the western extent of the Hull and Selby railway. And from Selby, you then follow the former ECML north to York (another artificial boundary). So at Selby tonight, it is a short trip back in time to 3rd April, 2010, and we can see a class 155 DMU in the bay platform. The track layout has been substantially rationalised from steam days.

post-22631-0-97084500-1444422214_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-63595600-1444422239_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-71094500-1444422267_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

Near to Selby was the sad ruin of High Field station.

17232083.40057970.800.jpg

On the platform was the NER enamel nameboard with the NER chocolate and cream colours showing through the flaking BR(NE) orange paint. I attempted to buy this from the council but got nowhere. The " FIELD " half of the nameboard on the Up platform was lying on the trackbed.

• Like 8

Thank you PinzaC55 for those two photo's of Highfield. A shame that you were not able to purchase the nameboard.

Here's the link to the entry on the Disused Stations website for Highfield:http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/highfield/index.shtml.

With regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob , yes you can see the other nameboard lying on the platform in front of the support legs. I contemplated putting it in a fertiliser sack and making off with it but there was an old woman living in the stationmaster's house and I could see the curtains twitching  :nono:

No25 signal at Sculcoates was for all intent and purpose what we would now call a "Shunt Ahead Signal". In the Down Direction, the next signalbox, was Hull Bridge, a swing bridge over the river Hull, Absolute Block was in use this was maintained by Syke's Lock and Block, and also as is usual at movable bridge spans "Forward Acceptance" applied. With the bridge open to River Traffic, this, and to permit the Gas Works to be shunted was circumvented by the use of a special bell signal 3-2, and No25 signal.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps Mick might know, I think at one time the points at the south (now west!) end of the 'Barlby Loops' on the other side of the swing bridge from Selby station were controlled from the signal box in that picture, with the switch blades on this side of the bridge and the point of turnout being on the other, with the bridge effectively carrying four roads interlaced as two pairs?  Some pictures taken in the 1950s seem to show this, but the photo above isn't distinct enough to make it out.

From memory it was 1960 when the interlacing was done away with, the points were relayed east of the bridge and became motor worked. The previous arrangement with the points on the west bank was to save the complication of running the point rodding across the movable bridge span. The signalbox shown in the photo', is not the one that survived until recent times.

Selby station c1905.

attachicon.gifSelby Station 1905.jpg

The apex roof building just visible under the bracket signal at the north end of the bridge was the original Selby North box. The Ken Hoole book "Railway History In Pictures North East England" has a good photo of it as it stood for some years after closure. It was similar to an NER N1 box or Grosmont Deviation.

Edit* I just checked the book and I am wrong. The derelict former signalbox was on the course of the original line over the bascule bridge and was a good bit to the left of the hydraulic tower.

Edited by PinzaC55

Perhaps Mick might know, I think at one time the points at the south (now west!) end of the 'Barlby Loops' on the other side of the swing bridge from Selby station were controlled from the signal box in that picture, with the switch blades on this side of the bridge and the point of turnout being on the other, with the bridge effectively carrying four roads interlaced as two pairs?  Some pictures taken in the 1950s seem to show this, but the photo above isn't distinct enough to make it out.

21766447.47c0bb91.800.jpg

• Like 9

In the book I mentioned earlier Ken Hoole says "The lower picture looks northwards across the new bridge, with the gauntletted down main and down slow on the left. The up tracks were similarly laid until spring points were installed on the north side of the bridge. Now the gauntletting on the down tracks has also been removed with the installation of power operated points at the far side. the derelict signal box on the extreme left of the picture is on the course of the line across the old bridge".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. Thank you for the information about Selby, it is very informative. I knew that the tracks across the swing bridge had been interlaced, but I wasn't so sure about when the interlacing had been removed.

Tonight some more photo's of Beverley. They show the signal at the end of the down platform - perhaps Mick will be able to give some extra detail about how the signal was worked. I believe that it was worked by Beverley Station box with Cherry Tree working the distant. I hope that is about right.

After this photo' is a view of the trailing crossover and those fascinating slips. Followed by a general view of the down end of the station looking north - all three photo's again date from late June, 1976. Then, finally, there is a photo' of a class 108 DMU leaving Beverley for Bridlington, on 19th June, 1982. Notice the red bufferbeam.

post-22631-0-77389200-1444507757_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-15654800-1444507781_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-12286000-1444507801_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-45887800-1444507819_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

PS. I know that DMU's were kept in the sidings beyond the slips on the up side of the main running lines. Especially those on the ''turn a round'' services from Hull. I just cannot recall when this practice ceased.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Something that I would like to add before I forget, is that on 27th November, it is the 50th anniversary since the final train ran from York to Hull via Market Weighton, departing York at 21.45.

There will be an ''anniversary special'' in this thread, on that day. Please watch out for developments.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

The signal at the end of the Down Platform at Beverley was Beverley Station's Starter but slotted as Cherry Tree's Home, the lower Distant, was Beverley North's Outer Distant, to simplify the Slotting and Back Slotting, this arm was motor worked. This was not the original arrangement, when first installed, Beverley's Starter and Cherry Tree's Home were separate signals and approx 100yards apart. See earlier posts for more details.

The "Slip" you ref to at Beverley, was actually a "Barry Slip", see attached picture.

I was appointed to Cherry Tree in late 1979, and I have no recollection of "Turn Abouts" being shunted, they always waited time in the Down Platform, so pressumably, the practise had ceased by then.

post-702-0-88009700-1444518200_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Of all the times, that i went to Selby

I can`t remember ever seeing a Deltic, stop by.

But it was in the early 70`s, before the HST`s came on line.

Yes, by the time I got into the Deltics the HSTs had pretty much usurped them so most of the services stopping at Selby would have Deltic power.

Here is 55018 powering south at Brayton Junction with the "feather" on the signal for the former Goole branch which at this time went as far as Barlow. I walked this line in 1977 but the wooden stations had been razed and there was nothing to see.

17238253.460d7e4b.800.jpg

Brayton signalbox, complete with wooden platform for exchanging the the single line staff.

• Like 11