Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Thank you for that lovely photo' PinzaC55. When you can, some more photo's would be very welcome indeed.

Tonight, I am going to freeze you all to death! It is the winter of 1987. The temperatures are extremely low, not going above freezing point by the afternoon. Everything was frozen including the insides of the windows of our house! The up shot of this weather on the railway was varying degrees of disruption. In the photo's posted here tonight, they show the first train to run on 14th January, 1987. It is seen passing Beverley North LC at 3.00PM. If I remember correctly, it only ran as far as Bridlington, with no services going through to Scarborough.

Please excuse the quality of these two photo's, but the light levels were terrible. I am just grateful to have recorded anything onto film to be honest!

attachicon.gifimg108 - Copy (2).jpg

attachicon.gifimg108 - Copy.jpg

With best regards,

Rob.

Thanks, I think I was on that train.

• Like 1

Thanks. I have several of the 5 plank converts, with my earliest also 1983. I believe they must have been earlier as they are very neat conversions. Do you know the running number of TRACKWORK 325.jpg. To me it looks like either 26, which had been converted to a electrification platform in 1981 or 28 which was still 8 plank in 1987.

Regards

Paul

Paul, if you can't decipher the details from my photo', I can't help. I was at the time the signalman at Cherry Tree, I walked around with my camera and pointed it at anything, though signalling and trackwork was my main interest. If I can be of further help, please feel free to ask.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, PinzaC55, and Mick for the photo's and your contributions to this thread. Please keep the contributions and photo's coming. They are all very welcome.

Tonight, I wish to start by saying that I've been to York today and have taken some photo's, of which some are posted here. There are two of a class 142 + 144 unit combination at Selby, along with a photo' of Selby West Signal box.

I travelled to and from York on class 158 units. 158842 and 158904, on the 13.15 and 16.11 return trains. Class 142's were seen on other Hull to York services.

On the journey to York, something funny happened when we were switched from the main down line at Church Fenton to the Leeds lines. It turned out that there was a failed HST, being hauled into York, on the down fast of the ECML, by a class 67.

Anyway, here are the photo's:

Selby West signal box:

post-22631-0-96784900-1445550825_thumb.jpg

Cass 144, 144008:

post-22631-0-71166900-1445550873_thumb.jpg

Class 142, unidentified:

post-22631-0-38845300-1445550919_thumb.jpg

The class 142 and class 144 train at Selby:

post-22631-0-64674500-1445550958_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

PS. The photo's were taken on a smartphone camera, and are not of perfect quality. Many apologies.

• Like 9

Thank you for that photo' Mick. I think the second coach is an GCR coach. I think it is one which was converted to a driving trailer.

With regards,

Rob.

Rob, you may well be right, the rear coach certainly has the "Flat Look" of certain GCRly stock, but not "My Subject" so I will say no more. I pressume the train is the Selby Goole service

Buckton Lane crossing was near Bempton and in June 1979 I made the effort to walk there. It was all pure NER with an NER brass plated oil container on the right for the signal lamps and an NER enamel plate above the door, painted over black and white. I asked BR if I could buy the nameplate but was told it was "reserved", but many years later it turned up in the Malton railwayana auction (still painted) ; I bought it and stripped it to it's shiny NER enamel.  :sungum:

Also note the two tops from level crossing gate posts used as seats !

21757871.3efefb22.800.jpg

21757869.71920a5e.800.jpg
  • Like 12

Thank you, PinzaC55, and Mick for the photo's and your contributions to this thread. Please keep the contributions and photo's coming. They are all very welcome.

Tonight, I wish to start by saying that I've been to York today and have taken some photo's, of which some are posted here. There are two of a class 142 + 144 unit combination at Selby, along with a photo' of Selby West Signal box.

I travelled to and from York on class 158 units. 158842 and 158904, on the 13.15 and 16.11 return trains. Class 142's were seen on other Hull to York services.

On the journey to York, something funny happened when we were switched from the main down line at Church Fenton to the Leeds lines. It turned out that there was a failed HST, being hauled into York, on the down fast of the ECML, by a class 67.

Anyway, here are the photo's:

Selby West signal box:

attachicon.gifIMG_20151022_135948952 - Copy.jpg

Cass 144, 144008:

With regards,

Rob.

PS. The photo's were taken on a smartphone camera, and are not of perfect quality. Many apologies.

How strange that the nameboard says "SELBY WEST" when there are no other Selby boxes ? Here's my 1979 shot of the box with the "WEST" lettering removed.

17364237.40d0f147.800.jpg

PS note the NER "ZERO" post on the right of the box. It would presumably once have had Branch ID plates for the Canal Curve and the Cawood, Wistow & Selby ?
Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again to all the contributions, please keep them coming. A point of detail about Buckton Lane LC, is that is where, currently, the single line that is left, changes from jointed rails to CWR.

Now here are two unconnected photo's. One shows A4 Sir Nigel Gresley in May, 1987 at Beverley. The second photo' shows two 2-car class 108's leaving Beverley for Bridlington on May 9th, 1987.

post-22631-0-41545000-1445630659_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-42281900-1445630683_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

Edited to correct a spelling error!

Edited by Market65
  • Like 6

Flamborough station in 1977 just 7 years after closure, a poor photo taken on my dad's Zenith-E camera which was prone to jamming when I reached remote locations like Enthorpe !

21757853.ea62136c.800.jpg

Unlike Bempton and Arram the signalbox here survived until the mass closure programme of the 1980s. I worked at Kings Cross at the time and every week the signalling alteration notices would tell of the extinction of another box.

Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thank you PinzaC55 for those photo's. A most valuable record of what has now gone.

Here is a not very good photo' of Flamborough Box from the front of a class 101 DMU on 14th April, 1987.

post-22631-0-28849500-1445639913_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

Thank you PinzaC55 for those photo's. A most valuable record of what has now gone.

Here is a not very good photo' of Flamborough Box from the front of a class 101 DMU on 14th April, 1987.

img113 - Copy.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

Great photo - that's one thing I never did enough, take photos from trains. Was the box there in 1987 I could have sworn most of them closed in 1984 or thereabouts.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Mick, anything up to and including Scarborough is OK on here. It is that 'natural' end of the Hull to Scarborough line.

Photo's of Scarborough would be most welcome, Mick.

With best regards,

Rob.

[Just outside East Yorkshire, but I think this c1925 view of Weaponess, is near enough to quilify.

attachment=635470:1532 Weaponess.jpg]

Mick,

Is that a D17 on the train through Weaponess; not sure that it is?

Might I post another photo of a D17, this one at Botanic Gardens in September 1938. Not the railways of East Yorkshire but one of the locos based in East Yorkshire.

Regards

Mike

post-3150-0-78938300-1445684729_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 6

The gate box at Buckton Lane is a gem well looked after and the area around well tended did the gateman live in the houses behind ?

At this vast distance in time all I can remember is that it was a rather attractive lady gatekeeper who chatted with me for a while. I think she did live in the cottage and you will notice that there is no bicycle there which is another good clue.

• RMweb Gold

At this vast distance in time all I can remember is that it was a rather attractive lady gatekeeper who chatted with me for a while. I think she did live in the cottage and you will notice that there is no bicycle there which is another good clue.

I've seen a photo of Buckton Lane LC, with a very attractive lady stood seeing a DMU go safely over the crossing in 1979. Sadly, I cannot remember where I saw that photo'.

It was somewhere on the internet!

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1