Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mick for posting these.

As requested a photograph of Withernsea.

attachicon.gifWithernsea.jpg

post-702-0-50820200-1444037919_thumb.jpgattachicon.gifWITHERNSEA 20.jpg

I love the shot of the Ivatt Class 4 at Withernseawith lots of LNER atmosphere still in the picture.

As requested a photograph of Hornsea.

attachicon.gifhornsea_old2.jpg

attachicon.gifhornsea_old1.jpg

As for Hornsea what a lovely station 

Again loads of atmosphere.

I wonder if anyone has more shots of these two stations or landmarks along the line?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks Mick for posting these.

I love the shot of the Ivatt Class 4 at Withernseawith lots of LNER atmosphere still in the picture.

As for Hornsea what a lovely station 

Again loads of atmosphere.

I wonder if anyone has more shots of these two stations or landmarks along the line?

Cheers,

Mark

17363717.76547f48.800.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, many thanks once more to Mick for the excellent photo's, especially the one of Hornsea Bridge in about 1932.

About class 14's, that is the first that I have heard of them working over the line to Bridlington, but, just perhaps, one did. Indeed if anyone can provide some proof, either way, then that would be great.

Also thank you for answering my query about that plate on that bridge which I saw yesterday. I think the answer given will be right, for it certainly does not look like a railway plate of any kind.

So tonight, it is back to the time of the introduction into service of the class 142 Pacer railbuses on the Hull - Bridlington - Scarborough services. It was at the time of the timetable change in mid-May, 1987. The two photo's date from 15th May, 1987. They are taken at Cherry Tree, Beverley.

post-22631-0-40250900-1444083443_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-01480300-1444083620_thumb.jpg

And the services today are formed mainly of class 158's.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 5

I certainly remember Class 14's regularly working past Hull Grammar School, (which was situated between Cottingham station and Cottingham South box,) usually double headed, hauling trains of lifted track panels circa 1966/7 ish, presumably from the closed Beverley-York line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you pete55. You've jogged my memory! Of course, I think they will have taken that work on when the last of the WD 2-8-0's were withdrawn. I wonder if there are any photo's or videos of them at work on those demolition trains?

With regards,

Rob.

Not the best of pictures, but one I took from Mr Duggleby's office window when I worked at his shop. The train was double headed by two Austerities, the leading engine is 90352, and indecently, the engine that just over eight years previous had worked the last through train over the H&B from Cudworth to Springhead. Botanic crossing 20 February 1967. .

post-702-0-82385000-1444090174_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Winestead station looking west in August 1977. Like the Selby - Market Weighton line this line was demolished in a sloppy fashion so many of the stations still had their level crossing gates. You have to wonder what would happen if a forward thinking government reopened these lines as with the former Waverley route where many of the trains on the reopened section are full and standing.

21758017.4fe0af6e.800.jpg

• Like 7

Re 'Brackenberg sign':

Brackenberg was a German industrial conglomerate that entered Britain not long after WW2 and dealt with farm machinery. There are some references on the internet, although with mergers, takeovers and whatnot, it isn't overly clear.

Somehow I cannot see any 'normal' person taking a sign from a house and screwing it into a bridge. You'd need a hefty cordless powerdrill to do that and I suggest that sign pre-dates such equipment, meaning someone would have put effort into it. A predecessor to graffiti?

• Like 2

Lord Flash Heart, here is a Class 14 working "Brid Goods", seen here at Anlaby Road and heading for the Scarbrough Branch via "Cricket Ground Curve".

attachicon.gifJ.jpg

Superb photo Mick, I've seen pics of them in and around Dairycoates but that's the first I've seen of 1 working off the Brid line,1 of my fellow club members at Hessle MRG used to work on them at Dairycoates, he swapped to be a signalman to get away from the things!

Thanks for all your photos, keep them coming.

Rob

The Withernsea to Hull film, though said to be 1957, can't have been made before October 1959. Watch the film, after passing over the Botanic level crossing, the Down Home signals are colour lights and mounted on a bridge, this work was not completed until October 1959, see the attached drawing.

post-702-0-73491900-1444165586_thumb.jpg

• Like 2