Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mick for that photo' of Anlaby Road box interior.

Today I  have a pic of Mallard, again from 9th July, 1988. She really was looking so good that day. But then she usually does.

attachicon.gifimg096 - Copy.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

And the crowd are on the (pitch! :O ) track!

Lovely detailed shot Rob ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

And the crowd are on the (pitch! :O ) track!

Lovely detailed shot Rob ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark. i must add that I was not one of those on the tracks!

I seem to recall that people positioned themselves everywhere in an attempt to see and photo' Mallard. Even up signals as well!

None of that would be allowed today of course, and it was most certainly pushing things even back then.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely to the offer to post more information about Southcoates Lane. It will be most interesting see it. Thanks again for all of your contributions to this thread so far. They really are most welcome.

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Absolutely to the offer to post more information about Southcoates Lane. It will be most interesting see it. Thanks again for all of your contributions to this thread so far. They really are most welcome.

With best regards,

Rob.

I can't find my scanned notes, so for now another photo.

post-702-0-53819400-1445297077.jpg

• Like 6

With best regards,

Rob.

Rob, has requested, the Southcoates Lane notes.

post-702-0-68000100-1445340661_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-28144000-1445340691_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-72855200-1445340717_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Usually a facing point lock is worked by a seperate lever to the point it locks, an economical lock is worked off the same lever as that which controls the points, I have fished out a piccie from the interweb that shows how it works.

post-4569-0-96841000-1445365052_thumb.png

• Like 1

Borris, your drawing shows the much later LNER way of doing things. There were several designs of "EFPL", the one favoured by the H&BRly was "Black's Patent" and manufactured by Saxby & Farmer and others, see attached. John Forman's photo' was taken at Wrangbrook Jct H&B Section c1964.

post-702-0-07063000-1445366587_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-82758500-1445366623_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mick for those notes concerning Southcoates Lane. Very interesting reading.

Tonight, two photo's of DMU's. The first one shows a class 108 approaching Beverley North, and the second one shows a class 101 arriving at Beverley station. Both were taken on 8th May, 1987.

post-22631-0-27184700-1445384614_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-91710600-1445384642_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that lovely photo' PinzaC55. When you can, some more photo's would be very welcome indeed.

Tonight, I am going to freeze you all to death! It is the winter of 1987. The temperatures are extremely low, not going above freezing point by the afternoon. Everything was frozen including the insides of the windows of our house! The up shot of this weather on the railway was varying degrees of disruption. In the photo's posted here tonight, they show the first train to run on 14th January, 1987. It is seen passing Beverley North LC at 3.00PM. If I remember correctly, it only ran as far as Bridlington, with no services going through to Scarborough.

Please excuse the quality of these two photo's, but the light levels were terrible. I am just grateful to have recorded anything onto film to be honest!

post-22631-0-45658900-1445463551_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-64385400-1445463585_thumb.jpg

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

Although I saw some well preserved stations , Middleton On The Wolds had last seen a train pass through 12 years before my 1977 photo yet all that remained was the platforms and a few LNER concrete lamp posts which would never see lamps again.  :drag:

21758049.5020b5a0.800.jpg

For the time being, all I can find to add.

post-702-0-86366700-1445463763_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mick. That diagram is most instructive. I see that, unless I am interpreting what I am seeing wrongly, that from Driffield, the signals had both a Home arm and a Distant arm. If so, would this be because of short Block Sections on this section of the line?

With best regards,

Rob.

Thanks for the comments guys! I looked up Middleton On The Wolds on Disused Stations and I was mildly surprised to see them say "this was by far the busiest station on the line with 87469 tickets issued" - that would in fact make it 2.5 times busier than Market Weighton ! I checked in Ken Hoole's book "Railway Stations North East England" and the same figure is there. I think we can safely say it is a mistake and the platforms at MOTW weren't actually full and standing ?

Thanks for the comments guys! I looked up Middleton On The Wolds on Disused Stations and I was mildly surprised to see them say "this was by far the busiest station on the line with 87469 tickets issued" - that would in fact make it 2.5 times busier than Market Weighton ! I checked in Ken Hoole's book "Railway Stations North East England" and the same figure is there. I think we can safely say it is a mistake and the platforms at MOTW weren't actually full and standing ?

1. ment=634657:MIDDLETON ON THE WOLDS.jpg]

post-702-0-32450900-1445466506_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I have put together approx 160 pictures, for a "Magic Lantern" show I'm doing Saturday, 31 October. The subject is "Locomotives seen in Hull, 1840 to date", the organiser of the talk is The North Eastern Rly Assoc, and the venue is The Carnegie Centre, corner of Walton Street and Anlaby Road, Hull. Doors open 1330hr for 1400hr "Kick Off". Ample car parking, all welcome, and please introduce your selves. Specimen photo' attached.

post-702-0-15497800-1445466849_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks for that photo', Mick. It certainly shows some characteristically deserted platforms at Middleton on the Wolds. That figure quoted must surely be wrong?

With regards,

Rob.

With those sort of figures, the line would still be open. Your earlier question, yes short block section etc.

In August 1979 I snapped this disused weighbridge at Driffield complete with a couple of lovely BR(NE) orange enamel signs. At the time I used to sometimes ask BR in York if I could buy items like this. If they agreed I would pay them by cheque and present my chit to the nearest BR staff then remove them in a bin liner !

17232791.8ab27165.800.jpg
  • Like 8

In August 1979 I snapped this disused weighbridge at Driffield complete with a couple of lovely BR(NE) orange enamel signs. At the time I used to sometimes ask BR in York if I could buy items like this. If they agreed I would pay them by cheque and present my chit to the nearest BR staff then remove them in a bin liner !

17232791.8ab27165.800.jpg

The footbridge replaced a level crossing c1966.