Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

That could well have happened in a 50 mph gale, to that loco' at Filey, Mark!

The photo's of Hutton Cranswick from PinzaC55 have reminded me of something called 'Humberail'. I believe it was one of those promotional things, but I cannot remember all of the details.

With regards,

Rob.

Humberail was a branding exercise applied to lines around Hull. In the days when we used to have those little fold out pocket timetable the Humberail ones were very light blue, Tyne Valley ones were green and Tyne Loop ones were yellow.

Nafferton station on the same day as Hutton Cranswick.

17232169.3e7fef5f.800.jpg

Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. Thank you to PinzaC55 for the information concerning Humberail.

Now, tonight, another steam special, this time 9F 2-10-0 92220 'Evening Star' on a special 'up' the line to Hull and beyond to..... where was it please, for I've cannot find the notes which I made at the time. The year, I think, was 1989. Notice the Network South East MK1 and MkII coaching stock.

post-22631-0-80879400-1444690083_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-85027700-1444690008_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thank you that excellent photo' Mick of Springbank South, H&BRly. It is a most evocative view.  I  notice the ladder up against the signal box. I wonder if some work was to be carried out on the box? Perhaps we will never find out.

With regards,

Rob.

Thank you that excellent photo' Mick of Springbank South, H&BRly. It is a most evocative view.  I  notice the ladder up against the signal box. I wonder if some work was to be carried out on the box? Perhaps we will never find out.

With regards,

Rob.

Rob, you have taken the words out of my mouth, and indeed, we will never know. Worthy of further comment, the overhead pole route is still in use. 

In January 1979 I picked my way through the back streets of Hull to see if there was anything left of Cannon Street station. A large (office) building remained with the entrance gates still intact.

17236651.b7f53833.800.jpg

Incredibly the gates still had roundels with the H&BRy logo in the centre. Many years later these gates turned up in a railwayana auction. You'd have thought the NRM would have got them ?

The site had been cleared , seen here looking north with a chimney of what I think was a former power station ?

17236589.4dbb2761.800.jpg
  • Like 6

A c1949 photo' looking towards Beverley Road and also showing the long closed signalbox, this was last used in 1925, but not demolished until 1955. Amazingly, at demolition, the last "Train Registar" was still inside the 'box, and I have a copy.

The signalling diagram dates from c1900.

post-702-0-70726000-1444759078_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-27290300-1444759183_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

In January 1979 I picked my way through the back streets of Hull to see if there was anything left of Cannon Street station. A large (office) building remained with the entrance gates still intact.

17236651.b7f53833.800.jpg

Incredibly the gates still had roundels with the H&BRy logo in the centre. Many years later these gates turned up in a railwayana auction. You'd have thought the NRM would have got them ?

The site had been cleared , seen here looking north with a chimney of what I think was a former power station ?

17236589.4dbb2761.800.jpg

If you are looking at the chimney on the right of your photo, it belongs to Reckitt & Colman or Reckitt Benckiser as it is called these days. The chimney is of a continuous cement pour construction and if you look at it from the right direction you can see the Friday afternoon effect with a slight twist in it.

The offices in Cannon Street are gone, replaced by a building for the Hull Collage of Technology but the gates survive just where you photographed them. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for those three photo's Mick. Good to see the gates as recently as 2011.

Now, here's an extra photo'. It shows a class 142 leaving Beverley for Hull on 31st July, 1987.

post-22631-0-23141600-1444771536_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mick for that lovely photo' of Springbank North in 1952. I just wonder if the engine is a D20, it looks like one to me.

Also you can see a good view of some point rodding. And in addition there is another ladder to be seen propped up at the signal.

With regards,

Rob.

Thank you Mick for that lovely photo' of Springbank North in 1952. I just wonder if the engine is a D20, it looks like one to me.

Also you can see a good view of some point rodding. And in addition there is another ladder to be seen propped up at the signal.

With regards,

Rob.

Rob, the photo' is Sunday 24 August 1952, and indeed the engine is a D20, No62360. Again I'm at a loss to the purpose of the ladder. Take a close study of the signal, the Main Line arm is a NERly LQ, the top arm just visible on the other doll is a standard UQ, while the Distant below is a H&BRly LQ.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that Mick. It would seem there have been some mysterious ladders about back in the 1950's!

Tonight, it a shorter journey back in time to 1988, and a journey on a class 110 'Calder Valley' DMU from Cottingham to Hull sat behind the driver's cab on the secondman's side.

Approaching Cottingham:

post-22631-0-89643800-1444859419_thumb.jpg

Passing the Ideal Standards Works on the left of the railway:

post-22631-0-97496500-1444859470_thumb.jpg

Approaching Hull Paragon, with the scissors crossing visible:

post-22631-0-33890100-1444859529_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

Reverting back to Springbank North and the signal bracket, I don't have a "Full Frontal" so this back view will have to do. The date is 18 March 1955, and the engine is A7 No 69973. The signal originates from 1885 and the opening of the railway, the H&B would have replaced the original arms c1910, and by 1955 only the two Distant arms of this pattern remain. The Main Line arm to Locomotive Jct was renewed as a NERly LQ in June 1939, the two UQ arms were fitted on Sunday 24 August 1952. The signal, and has altered remained in use until early 1957 when it was replaced by a "Modern" steel bracket.

post-702-0-18505500-1444860682_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-04100700-1444860753_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

And now for something completely different seen at Scarborough station two weeks ago. It is platform five line, and these markings were to be seen in the four foot. However what I would particularly like to know is how you can lift anything to 0mm? (I know what twisted rails are).

post-22631-0-45609500-1444863272_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Thanks for those two photo's Mick. Also the very informative caption. The second photo' looks like it was taken from a DMU - the early 1960's?

With regards,

Rob.

Rob, the 1964 picture was indeed taken from a DMU, an RCTS excursion of October that year. The signalman is the late Ray Coates, and he is giving the Driver the "Block Conversion Ticket".

• Like 2

Thanks for posting these, very informative and beautifully drawn.

Each day the goods trip working to the goods yard would come into 7 or 8 and then shunt back to run round in the sidings. After that it would run wrong direction along 5 to the goods yard. There appears to be no signalling for this move between South and Quay. Am I missing something? 

Does anyone have any info on how the daily goods was handled at Bridlington. There seems to be no signalled backing move from the sidings along the excursion lines and through 5 to the goods yard. This movement happened daily.

• RMweb Gold

Hi.On train back from Scarborough. Filey and Bridlington stations are undergoing repaints in green and cream. Will post more later on.

With regards,

Rob.

Hope you made a visit to Geoff at the Train Shop in Scarborough? ;)