Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

7 hours ago, john new said:

Another puzzled, but interested, reader. Why Paddington not one of the more logical start points for Sheffield of either St P or Kings X, was  it a time of engineering diversions or similar? Perhaps when Kings X was being remodelled.

It was all part of a three day diagram which linked up Paddington -Brum and Brum - Leeds- Brum and Brighton - Man Picc and a couple of other workings. It reduced a couple of coaching stock sets by lengthening diagrams, ie better utilisation. The Sheffield - Hull - Sheffield part just fitted in with the South Pennine service for Hull.

Al Taylor

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Fascinating how that three day diagram worked out, it is something that I was not previously aware of. Now, for this evening, we go to Hull Botanic Gardens depot, thanks to the KDH archive on Flickr, and see something quite special. It appears to be a structure gauging vehicle of Southern origin. The date is the 13th June, 1987.

87 044 130687 Hull Botanic Gardens

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Market65 said:

It appears to be a structure gauging vehicle of Southern origin

Looks can be deceptive: online sources suggest it's DB 975081, a conversion of a standard Mk1 BSK with that style of driving end grafted on. However, the window arrangement looks to have been altered too.

There are much more recent photos where the driving cab seems to have been removed and further alterations made.

Whole story at http://www.traintesting.com/SGT.htm

Edited by eastwestdivide
more info
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember driving this, it had a class 25 style power controller with an SR type brake valve. I remember taking it to whitby in the middle of the night about 30 years ago 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, eastwestdivide and russ p for the details and memories of that unique carriage conversion. 
Well, this evening we stay in Hull, and take a very short journey to Paragon station on Tuesday the 15th July, 1975. Thanks to a further photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr, we can see a class 20, 20092, reasy to depart on the 10.28 to Bridlington. It was, apparently, a DMU replacement working.

75 051 150775 Hull 20092

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go on a short journey to Dairycoates to see a class 60 thanks to a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr. It shows 60085, Axe Edge, drawing it’s train forward before running round it on the 25th June, 1992.

25266803917_1963bfaf86_b.jpg60085 Hull Dairycoates by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

23 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, eastwestdivide and russ p for the details and memories of that unique carriage conversion. 
Well, this evening we stay in Hull, and take a very short journey to Paragon station on Tuesday the 15th July, 1975. Thanks to a further photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr, we can see a class 20, 20092, reasy to depart on the 10.28 to Bridlington. It was, apparently, a DMU replacement working.

75 051 150775 Hull 20092

Best regards,

Rob.

Oh to have been on that train...

steve (BR Type1/Class 20 fan for 60 years.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. For this evening, thanks to a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, we go to Paragon station for a look at 03073, the station pilot, on the 10th January, 1981.

39919943452_041e2c2d83_b.jpg03073 Hull Paragon by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Interesting, in that the runner has lights, so presumably some form of electrical jumper to power them. So that wire to the wagon pick-ups on your model are sort of prototypical. I have an image of the Newcastle pilot in 1981, but that didn't have lights on the runner....

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Interesting, in that the runner has lights, so presumably some form of electrical jumper to power them. So that wire to the wagon pick-ups on your model are sort of prototypical. I have an image of the Newcastle pilot in 1981, but that didn't have lights on the runner....

All the runners at BG were done around 1979/80 by two of the apprentices. The lower middle lamp had a socket fitted so the runner could be plugged in.

Al Taylor

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, . This evening, staying in Hull, courtesy of a photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr, we see 31454, waiting to depart on the 19.23 service to Liverpool Lime Street. The date is the 10th May, 1987.

87 036 100587 Hull 31454

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. It’s great having the site back after it all went wrong. I’ve now uploaded a new avatar - I can’t find my old one.  Hopefully many of the photo’s should still be in this thread since many are from Flickr, etc., When I have more time I’ll take a look and see what photo’s are missing and see what can be done.
So, this evening, thanks to a photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr, we go to Scarborough, and seea Peak departing on a train of dirty Mk1 carriages. It is 45077, and is seen leaving Scarborough on Saturday the 25th June, 1977, working train 13.29, the Scarborough to Sheffield service. 

77 097 250677 Scarborough 45077

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

Good to be back indeed. A class 110 for your avatar I see. I’ll have to see if mine is still there! I hope so as it was a picture I no longer have the original of.

My partner lives in Beverley so I’m around the area a lot. I heard that the footbridge at Beverley is being removed and replaced with a modem unit. That will destroy what is one of my favourite stations. With the signal box, level crossing, footbridge and train shed it always feels like a 304.8mm to the foot model railway with all the staples in a few metres of each other! 

It even has a very train set style operating movement when southbound trains starting from there enter the station on the Bridlington line, reverse back over some points wrong line and then come back wrong line into the Hull platform. 

Edited by ianmacc
Grammar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. Firstly, ianmacc, since all avatars are reported to be lost, I have renewed mine with that class 110 as a ‘temporary’ avatar until I have more time to find something steamy. You are right about Beverley station, and from what I understand, after having talked with the excellent ladies in the booking office, the plans for the footbridge are being worked on. The canopy is understood to be too expensive for Network Rail to renew, hence it will be the same as the footbridge at Cottingham. There are no plans to repaint and repair the station roof. It does need various repairs. 
You are right about it being like a full size model railway. That’s a good way to describe how everything is within such a short distance of each other.

Now, for this afternoon we go to Arram, and it’s very recent from December, 2021, but the train is of interest. The date is the 21st December, 2021, with train 2Z02, the 09.10, York to York special staff service, passing through, and due back in York at 17.14.

It comprises 37402 and 975025, operated by DRS. The photo’ is courtesy of  Simon Beeston, on Flickr.

ARRAM 211221 37402_filtered

ARRAM 211221 975025_filtered

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we stay in Hull, but at a different dock, Alexandra Dock, thanks to a photo’ by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr. It is of a railtour, 1G31, on the 23rd September, 1978, with a six car DMU, a two car 101, a two car unrefurbished 101, and a two car class 105 at the rear. The train was on a tour of all the then remaining Hull branch lines, from Hull Paragon to Hull Paragon.

14924900792_3ef4a7313a_b.jpgDMU by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of a photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr, we go to the SW extremity of the old East Riding, in Goole, and see Deltic, 55008, on a Hull to London King’s Cross service. Unfortunately there is no other information about this photo’ but it is most probably from the 1970’s.

FMCCS081 55008 Goole

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. After yesterday’s pause, for the site to reindex things, etc., this evening, thanks to a photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr, we go to Hull Botanic Gardens Depot. It is the 13th June, 1987, and on the depot can be seen 08776, and a three car class 108, Derby lightweight DMU. 

87 043 130687 Hull 08776

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go to Alexandra Dock in Hull, thanks to a photo’ by Philip Wheldale on Flickr, and see 08165, on the 23rd September, 1978.

14596115035_fa69cc1a97_b.jpg08165 by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

While Brenda was at her mother’s,  Bill arranged delivery of his purchase to the back garden of his bungalow….

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening go to Filey Holiday Camp station, and thanks to a photo’ by jsb303 on Flickr, we can see two K3’s, the nearest of which is 61813, and a D49/1, Shire. They would be watered and turned on the triangle of lines before working the trains to their return destinations. There’s no date information, but it could be c1960.

3645489345_be08cf83f2_b.jpgFiley: Butlins Holiday Camp. 1960s. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

14 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening go to Filey Holiday Camp station, and thanks to a photo’ by jsb303 on Flickr, we can see two K3’s, the nearest of which is 61813, and a D49/1, Shire. They would be watered and turned on the triangle of lines before working the trains to their return destinations. There’s no date information, but it could be c1960.

3645489345_be08cf83f2_b.jpgFiley: Butlins Holiday Camp. 1960s. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob.

I have a postcard photo of this picture Copyright  J .W. Armstrong, no details but the other K3 is 61893 both Dairycoates Engines

Regards.

Graham

14 hours ago, Market65 said:

Edited by waggy

On 07/04/2022 at 20:50, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go to Alexandra Dock in Hull, thanks to a photo’ by Philip Wheldale on Flickr, and see 08165, on the 23rd September, 1978.

14596115035_fa69cc1a97_b.jpg08165 by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Love the atmosphere of the photo! Thanks for sharing with us Rob. 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Graham, for the number of that second K3 at Filey Holiday Camp. I can only guess that the copy of the photo’ which you have will be a good deal clearer than the copy of it from Flickr. I knew that the first K3, 61913, was a Dairycoates engine, so it comes as no surprise that the other K3, 61893, was also from there. 
Bill, it was a pleasure to post that photo’ which I found on Flickr, and the whole scene would make a most excellent model. 

Well, for this evening, courtesy of a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, we go back to Hull, and on Dairycoates, on a Sunday, in 1967, we can see a good number of EE Type 3’s, mostly with small yellow panels on their nose ends, having their day off.

3938285120_8425d46fe3_b.jpgLazy Sunday by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18