Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Hello, Ron. On enlarging the photo’, it turns out to be a former Gresley five compartment brake third which has been converted into a driving brake third. I can look up more details in a book I’ve recently bought.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Ray M, and Mick, for the delightful photo’s and signalling and pway diagram of Withernsea. They all add perfectly to the thread and hopefully show people that the railways of Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire had a lot of interest both in terms of infrastructure and operationally. 

Please post more, Ray M and Mick when you can. Such photo’s and diagrams are always welcome. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ray M said:

A few photos , taken from Withernsea sea wall (mobile phone)

20190420_125832.jpg

Thank you for a lovely picture, but 'mobile phone'?

Either it must have been a very early example, or there is a preserved (and functional) exNER 0-6-0 which I didn't know about!

Edited by drmditch
  • Funny 1

Mick and Ray M,

Great photographs, signalling and layout diagrams of Withernsea. I seem to remember a 7mm scale layout of this place featured in one of the modelling magazines, many years ago.

The photos of B13, B14 and B15, earlier in the thread, are something of rarities, as these prototypes seem not to have been photographed that often.

Strange that the Class R 4-4-0's - LNER D20 - were designed in around 1898 and preceeded the Class S - B13 ( designed 1899), Class S1 - B14 (designed 1900) - and Class S2 - B15 (designed 1911), yet the D20's outlasted the B13's (apart from 1699 which was used at Rugby Testing Centre until 1951) by almost twenty years, the B14's by over twenty five years and the B15's by ten years.

Testament to how good a design the Class R - LNER/BR D20 - was?

We've discussed, a few times, how Hull Dairycoates was the last working location for so many North Eastern classes, prior to withdrawal up until almost the end of steam on the North Eastern Region.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

The signalling diagram of Withernsea was interesting but reminded me of a question that has puzzled me for years.

The turnout (or previously the turntable) was protected by a "standard" type of home signal which I remember as a small boy could be seen over the fence from the street.

My question is why was a home/stop signal used instead of a shunt signal?. My guess is that it was for sighting purposes from the signal box which was some distance away or alternatively was connected with the operation of the turntable which was at the end of a passenger carrying running line.

Sorry for showing my ignorance on railway operating matters!

Thanks for the information being supplied on East Yorkshire's railways.

Regards

Kevin 

Kevin, the full size arm dated from the initial installation of 1904, and that then must have been the way of doing things, there would have been a reason, but now lost in the mist of time. Like everything else signalling practice has altered with the passage of time.

• Like 1

May be of interest, I'm doing a talk come picture show at the Carnegie Centre Anlaby Road Hull. All proceeds to the Centre.

Carnegie Tuesday Talks

Tuesday 25th June 2019

7.00pm start

A look at Hull's Railways

- 1840 to present day

with

Mick Nicholson

Admission Charge £2.50

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, for that delightful photo’ of Howden, H&BRly with a rebuilt Kirtley 2-4-0 of 1885. A most delightful view and excellent addition to the thread.

Tonight I have three photo’s of Kilnwick LC., between Beverley and Driffield. I was out cycling in the area, heard a train coming, and so got off the bike and took the photo’s. Sorry the weather was so grey and gloomy.

Looking up the line to Beverley. This was taken after the class 158 had passed by on it’s way to Bridlington.

FA12F499-8928-4CD3-80D9-A4091E602758.jpeg.22aff3ba46e76926583c1db4991cedf0.jpeg

Class 158787.

63824438-3CCB-4544-9ADA-C4B0C7D2BB8F.jpeg.ae5f440fc50c7e3fb2bde2e4e167a8e6.jpeg

Class 158, 158842, at the rear of the train, a four car unit.

42A3F1AC-2C91-497A-86D9-5DCC10505A02.jpeg.3af438ad2ce67ffffebb094574937c7d.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 6