Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Still prestigeous enough to park the Royal Train overnight on a couple of occasions though!

When the Queen came to open the Humber bridge, a friend of mine made enquirers to get onto Selby station to take photos the following day. He was sent packing and that evening we tried to guess where the train would be over night. My guess was Barlow and he set off the next morning to investigate. He was stopped by the police and when they discovered he was there by guess work and he was a retried police officer himself, they called their colleagues on Selby station and sent him there with an assurance he would  gain access this time as long as he promised not to tell what he had discovered.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When the Queen came to open the Humber bridge, a friend of mine made enquirers to get onto Selby station to take photos the following day. He was sent packing and that evening we tried to guess where the train would be over night. My guess was Barlow and he set off the next morning to investigate. He was stopped by the police and when they discovered he was there by guess work and he was a retried police officer himself, they called their colleagues on Selby station and sent him there with an assurance he would gain access this time as long as he promised not to tell what he had discovered.

Around the mid 70s as an S&T trainee, I was for a few months allocated to the Telegraph Gang. On turning up for work one morning we were given special instructions to attend an urgent job. It was to run out a temporary cable from Brayton signal box and along the Barlow branch. The cable was to be connected up to provide "communications links". The day after, we were dispatched to go and recover same cable as it was now finished with. Only then did I get to know it was for the Royal Train that was parked up overnight on the branch. Asking why that particular line was chosen, I was told because in terms of security, it was very easy for the Police (and no doubt other security services) to guard as there was only "one road in and one road out" and other natural obstacles that made it a secure site. Not sure if the actual "Royals" on the train at the time were aware they were parked up along side what was a landfill site.

Edited by iands
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Any one interested, 1900hr Tuesday next week at the Station Hotel Hull NYMRly meeting a slide show Hull's Railways.

Here's one to wet your appetites, Dairycoates c1959.

attachicon.gif51244-DAIRYCOATES-1959.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up Mick, but I've signed up for the Block Classes again so won't be able to make next Tuesday.

This loco was one of the Goole ones and I manage to "cop" it there.

I hope the slide show goes well.

Hi Judge.

What was it doing on Dairycoates, did they work trips from Goole, or was in for repair or something else ?

Hi Judge.

What was it doing on Dairycoates, did they work trips from Goole, or was in for repair or something else ?

Promotion! In 1948 or there abouts it was at Goole along with several others. My guess would be, it came to Hull to see if it was suitable to work the sharp curves around the Victoria dock area. There is a photo on "Britain from above"  of a class Y1, Sentinel on the link from that dock to Southcoates station. 

According to my copy of Ian Allen's 1948 publication there was 3 of these allocated to Hull Diarycoates and 1 to Botanic Gardens at that time.   

• Like 1

Fifty years ago today i went on a bus tour around the Hull Sheds which included my only ever visit to  Dairycoates. Sadly no photographs my only income been my paper round.

Locomotives seen were as follows

Hull Paragon.  D220 Franconia. D2174, D5147. D6741

Dairycoates.  12119 - 12122.   D2172   D3070 / 77 / 79 - 81, 3232 / 34. 3313 / 18 / 23.   D6733 - 35 / 37 / 38 / 40 / 83 / 88. 6835.  D8310 - 8315.  D9545.

Alexandra Dock.   D3074 / 75 / 3233. 3944.

Botanic Gardens D2100 

Drapers Scrapyard. D2224 / 26 / 27 / 34.   Black Fives 44890. 44949, 44971. 45055. 45203. 45255. 45260. 45420. and 45305 which is preserved.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just a test posting of a photo of Hull Paragon station from December, 20th, last year. If I have got this worked out correctly, the caption should be below the photo’.

C0C9791E-06B5-43A5-AF39-D06F32391D62.jpeg

Ive just clicked the Return key, and, in edit, I can now type under the photo. It’s quite a relief.

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
Testing captioning, etc.
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. I would like to show a couple of photo’s which I took yesterday of Cave crossing and Broomfleet. Here goes...Cave crossing first.

702F790A-3519-4685-989D-6899CEC835EC.jpeg.983132583d933166406d647189f8fa55.jpeg

C93BE61A-98DC-4395-90FE-0CAD882B954D.jpeg.df3c4c5c76d539c6b52171d9c13f1dfa.jpeg

Now Broomfleet.

F36C28CC-17A2-449C-9FD7-8FEAAD127D6C.jpeg.ba1b9124bd7baccfdd9963f1a5e440fa.jpeg

I’ve reached the limit. The other pucs will have to wait along with a short video.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12