Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• 4 weeks later...

This is interesting, even if poor quality and under-exposed.

Prints like this probably get chucked in a bin bag by the thousand every year, by non-enthusiast relatives; but although it is a Britannia on the GE somewhere with electrification under way or finishing at that point, it was the emus (presumably class306s) in the background which caught my eye.

What livery is the nearest one painted in? Crimson and cream maybe? I thought electric units from the mid-50s era wore green livery.

post-4474-0-83781600-1485855208_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Trick of the light on that EMU maybe? The curve of the body below the windows makes it look darker/doesn't reflect the sky so much as the upper part?

Edit: similar effect on the photo at the top of : http://www.lner.info/locos/Electric/shenfield.php

Edited by eastwestdivide

Prints like this probably get chucked in a bin bag by the thousand every year, by non-enthusiast relatives; 

attachicon.gifIMG_1101.jpg

So much must go this way. My own family members thrown out pictures because they were of poor quality etc. One such poor quality picture contained a photo of me standing next to an 03 in green livery at Hitchin. It's poor quality made up for my poor memory, though i was probably less than three years old at the time. Luckily that one was saved.

Prints like this probably get chucked in a bin bag by the thousand every year, by non-enthusiast relatives; but although it is a Britannia on the GE somewhere with electrification under way or finishing at that point, it was the emus (presumably class306s) in the background which caught my eye.

What livery is the nearest one painted in? Crimson and cream maybe? I thought electric units from the mid-50s era wore green livery.

It doesn't look like a trick of the light to me, it looks like blood and custard but I have never come across any reference to an EMU being painted in this livery.  Could this be an unofficial repaint?  Fascinating!

Chris Turnbull 

Edited by Chris Turnbull

It doesn't look like a trick of the light to me, it looks like blood and custard but I have never come across any reference to an EMU being painted in this livery.  Could this be an unofficial repaint?  Fascinating!

Chris Turnbull 

I have rummaged in the box and discovered this one which shows the entire unit.

I believe that the transition from light to dark is not sharp enough to be a paint job.

post-4474-0-58721500-1485888356_thumb.jpg

It's simply the way the light is catching the side of the unit - highlighting the flat part above the very shadowy and rather pronounced tumblehome. No EMUs were painted in 'blood and custard' (until the Scottish sets in the 1980s) and the only 'DMUs' to receive it were the GWR railcars. Even the Southern's express units such as the 4CORs were green throughout, albeit different shades of green. Blue came in with the Scottish units and the WCML electrification and then Rail blue with Corporate Image in 1964.(CJL)

It's simply the way the light is catching the side of the unit - highlighting the flat part above the very shadowy and rather pronounced tumblehome. No EMUs were painted in 'blood and custard' (until the Scottish sets in the 1980s) and the only 'DMUs' to receive it were the GWR railcars. Even the Southern's express units such as the 4CORs were green throughout, albeit different shades of green. Blue came in with the Scottish units and the WCML electrification and then Rail blue with Corporate Image in 1964.(CJL)

Not forgetting the maroon Class 309 express units on the Clacton line

Jim

There was a discussion somewhere just recently, maybe the Yahoo GER group? I read that the GE electrification was delayed by the war, though some units were built (and stored?) in late LNER days, and were painted in LNER livery. I think it might have been light/dark blue? I'm not able to look at the group website until the weekend unfortunately. Anyway, there was some interesting discussion about this, and a desparate plea for someone to find a photo! To me, that pic shows a two tone livery and is not a trick of the light.

Stewarr

• RMweb Gold

I've never heard of any units being built in LNER days but I suppose it could be true as the service started in 49.

The prototype EM1 was delivered in LNER livery and then sent to Holland