Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

I think the key to this photo is *when* it was taken. I presume that the two-tone livery would have been re-painted green by the start of the service, and as the first picture shows a Brit, this means that the earliest the photo could have been taken is '51 and the service started in '49, so I think the chances of it being anything other that a trick of the light is slim.... 

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

There was a discussion somewhere just recently, maybe the Yahoo GER group? I read that the GE electrification was delayed by the war, though some units were built (and stored?) in late LNER days, and were painted in LNER livery. I think it might have been light/dark blue? I'm not able to look at the group website until the weekend unfortunately. Anyway, there was some interesting discussion about this, and a desparate plea for someone to find a photo! To me, that pic shows a two tone livery and is not a trick of the light.

Stewarr

Blue and Cream, although there is no evidence of them running in that livery.

http://www.lner.info/locos/Electric/shenfield.php

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

I think the key to this photo is *when* it was taken. I presume that the two-tone livery would have been re-painted green by the start of the service, and as the first picture shows a Brit, this means that the earliest the photo could have been taken is '51 and the service started in '49, so I think the chances of it being anything other that a trick of the light is slim.... 

Andy G

The earliest one I have identified in the box is 1955, but most are 1956-8. The EE4s took over after that.

• RMweb Gold

I reckon so Andy, but I'd love to see a picture of one in the suggested blue and cream, I suppose they do have a bit of a look of the Tyneside articulated sets

Edited by russ p

I have emptied the whole box onto the table and sifted through them, found them all from this location and....  saints be praised, a couple have a faint spidery pencil description on the reverse.

The location is Shenfield and the year 1953.

Unfortunately, the one that interests me the most is the camera-shake image.

post-4474-0-96829000-1485945281_thumb.jpg

61649 Sheffield United with a Felixstowe train 5th July 1953.

post-4474-0-42014500-1485945277_thumb.jpg

61104 with a service from Walton on the Naze  5th July 1953

post-4474-0-69893000-1485945279_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-51852700-1485945284_thumb.jpg

70042  Lord Roberts  3rd August 1953

post-4474-0-11744300-1485945287_thumb.jpg

70037  Hereward The Wake  6th September 1963

post-4474-0-53345100-1485945289_thumb.jpg

64876 on a ballast train  5th July 1953.

• Like 7

Oops sorry the photo is taken from Meadow Lane crossing approach. The train is on the up line heading towards Cambridge and is about to cross the restricted height underpass then the level crossing. The ground frame in shot was released by St Ives 46 lever and controlled a trailing crossover between the up and down main. The very white looking box is the telephone to the signalbox. There are a good number of wagons on the coal drops.

Edit to add.. (LNERGE is collecting information for a model of St Ives)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118310-st-ives-swavesey/

The photographer was standing on the left near the end of the gate to take the photo. The defunct line to the coal drops is in the foreground.

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Y-86-04&img=Y-86-04

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Y-86-04&img=Y-86-03

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 2

Oh you beaut and only one like button. Got any more taken here? I could click like a hundred times.

I can have a look, but I only recognise the modern scene; so I can only post them all over time.

Miles away. I'd say this is Fordham but which side is anyone's guess as both ends looked like this. There were branches to Mildenhall and Cambridge each end of the station. If i had to guess i'd say we are looking at the Mildenhall divergence. There was a goods loop at the Burwell/Cambridge end and the poles look too close to allow for that.

A super picture and the first i've seen of MK1 horseboxes anywhere other than Newmarket. 

Not a lot to go on with this photo, but a nice image of a D16.

attachicon.gifIMG_0953.jpg

Wow Super stuff. A very unusual crossing gate for me to model. I have seen other pictures of this gate but this is rather good. The Telephone and presumably the electric gatelock release box is obvious, as are the three linewires that drop off here. 

Edited by LNERGE