Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Why hammer Hornby because "A" gets his goodies before "B"? Not that long ago we were all wondering if Hornby was going to go the wall. Thankfully that hasn't happened  (Thanks Hatton's).

I don't pay much attention to Hornby's delivery dates when I take into account some of their previous releases were delivered much earlier than expected. e.g.the Q6.

P

P.s. "A" may stand for Aus. and "B" may stand for Britain but then again, it may not.

• Like 1

Sorry Gents,

I really didn't want to start a firestorm with this. This was advertised on EBayOz by a local model shop, (Perth Hobby Centre). At first, I looked and thought it could be a mistake. I ' Bought it now', it was posted within 18hours and delivered today. (Thank you PHC).

I did this with the D16, they were available here before UK, at a competitive price, (relatively). I still have Peckett pre-orders in the UK and will honour them, nameplates are on order from Narrow Planet.

FYI. 'Dodo' plates are 2mm high, I have hopefully resized my NP plates order.

Tomorrow is track test time, more dead frogs than a pool in Summer.. I will report!

Meanwhile, please relax and wait, they are worth waiting for.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 3

Glad to see the 11th is promised, Xmas Eve would have meant a long extra wait till New Year period  unless delivered by carrier at extra expense.

Hattons have up-dated to the 11th as well, so unless caught in the Xmas parcel and postal rush, Dodo should be here in time for Xmas.

Stephen

post-294-0-82145900-1481015574_thumb.jpg

Well the running tests have been started today, and I am pleased to report that 'Dodo' runs almost silently and has no trouble with Peco code 100 insulfrog points and crossings, even double and single slips are negotiated at very slow speed with no hiccup.

One thing I did find: I think some of the team working on the Original 'Merchant Navy' spent some time on this project, and designed an oil bath for the Peckett!

Copious amounts of lubricant were on the gear wheel and rear axle. Some of this has made its way on to the area of the wheel where the pick-up bears. I used a tissue and ran the loco. upside down to clean off  some of the excess. I will keep an eye on this area as it could affect pick-up; all four pick-ups were perfectly adjusted on this example.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

The r/h one (from the viewers perspective) certainly is.

On very close inspection, the bar to the diagonal cross* is definitely closer to the upper portion of the blue**

On Edwardians post the relevant spacing is on the l/h side (the hoist) of his picture of the Union Flag.

*  Northern Ireland

** Scotland

• RMweb Gold

Email from Hattons - Manchester Shipping Canal expected 16/12/2016 and Huntley & Palmers expected 17/01/2017

Just got that email too so it looks like that will have to be my New Year present to me and I shall have to buy myself something else for Christmas!  :yes:

Decisions, decisions.   :scratchhead:  

So two versions before Christmas, very good, both on order, on the 16th, with HP in Jan. Strangely, Hattons show the Manchester Ship canal Peckett to cost more than Dodo........maybe due to pre-order price altering, or they are keeping to a price promise on one version.

Display shelf layout near completed, just an old style factory unit to complete, made in card and ply, with paper overlays, The derrick crane now works correctly, got to find three micro servos to modify and fit, raising the beam, lifting the hook, and swinging the beam, plus an electromagnet to do the lift from an open wagon. or flats.

Stephen

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The one on the left is the wrong way round.  The broader white stripe should be adjacent to the flag pole.

Quite right - flying the flag upside down is a pet hate of mine*. When I rule the country is will be a criminal offence :jester:

I once had a big argument with one of the European government establishments in Brussels that had our flag upside down. They argued there was no right way so they were firmly put in their place. One hour later it was the right way up!

Roy

* along with calling it the Union Jack.

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 3

I remember the Baseball World Series in 1992 when the Toronto Blue Jays were playing in Atlanta and the chap leading the Toronto players out on the field had got the Canadian flag the wrong way up. Not the most difficult flag to spot the correct orientation I would have thought. That nearly caused an International incident as the Canadian fans were threatening to reciprocate in the next game in Toronto and the USA were outraged at the prospect of someone intentionally flying their flag upside down. The American media were viewing it as almost a declaration of war and it went as far as inter-govermental talks to defuse things. In the event the Canadian fans took a more humourous approach with lots of Canadian flags around the stadium with annotations such as "This way up" and "The stalk goes at the bottom".

Here's a thought though, If flying another country's flag is an insult, why aren't Indonesia and Poland in a permanent state of conflict? 

Anyway, returning to the topic, for anyone still looking to order the little Peckett, Model Railways Direct are still taking orders on Dodo, although the other two are showing as sold out. I just ordered one even though I haven't modelled in 00 gauge for more than 40 years. It is just such a charming little loco I couldn't resist. :wub:

I remember the Baseball World Series in 1992 when the Toronto Blue Jays were playing in Atlanta and the chap leading the Toronto players out on the field had got the Canadian flag the wrong way up. Not the most difficult flag to spot the correct orientation I would have thought. That nearly caused an International incident as the Canadian fans were threatening to reciprocate in the next game in Toronto and the USA were outraged at the prospect of someone intentionally flying their flag upside down. The American media were viewing it as almost a declaration of war and it went as far as inter-govermental talks to defuse things. In the event the Canadian fans took a more humourous approach with lots of Canadian flags around the stadium with annotations such as "This way up" and "The stalk goes at the bottom".

Here's a thought though, If flying another country's flag is an insult, why aren't Indonesia and Poland in a permanent state of conflict? 

Anyway, returning to the topic, for anyone still looking to order the little Peckett, Model Railways Direct are still taking orders on Dodo, although the other two are showing as sold out. I just ordered one even though I haven't modelled in 00 gauge for more than 40 years. It is just such a charming little loco I couldn't resist. :wub:

The Jays had last laugh though and won the series

Looks like a late prezzie this year. I'll just take it as being an extended Christmas

Cheers,

David

The r/h one (from the viewers perspective) certainly is.

On very close inspection, the bar to the diagonal cross* is definitely closer to the upper portion of the blue**

On Edwardians post the relevant spacing is on the l/h side (the hoist) of his picture of the Union Flag.

*  Northern Ireland

** Scotland

Not quite correct.

They are the crosses of St George for England, St Andrew for Scotland and St Patrick for Ireland. The St Patrick's cross is still occasionally used in Ireland, on both sides of the border. It's often seen in the crowd at the rugby.

Northern Ireland has the St George cross with a red hand in a star topped with a crown.

Jason