Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

I have all 3 on order, I've just checked my pre-orders and H&P is showing charged and despatched.

My B12 is showing as processing...

So looks like I've got 4 separate boxes coming from Big H this week (coke hoppers arrived today in 2 boxes already).

Wow! Sounds like Christmas has come early in your house!

No rumblings from Hattons so far. How long does it take to get from the Hornby warehouse to Liverpool?

Cheers,

David

(Patiently waiting for Dodo)

Many, many moons.....

(im)patiently waiting for Huntley & Palmer.

The dates arrival and delivery dates and order of arrival seem to be up in the air at the moment, Hattons still show the previous dates for delivery, but the HP seems to have moved up. There is a rumour the contents of the container did not match the orders, which must be frustrating for Hornby. I will be forced to contact Hattons as three at once were not promised, two is enough, with one to follow.

If it is true about the container, there may be an element of rationing to the shops with big orders.

Guest Midland Mole

I'm sad that I did not pre-order one of these, especially after seeing them at Warley. Not much chance of getting one now I would imagine. :unsure:

Hopefully they will do another run of these in the future. :)

- Alex

I'm sad that I did not pre-order one of these, especially after seeing them at Warley. Not much chance of getting one now I would imagine. :unsure:

Modle Railways Direct website is still accepting pre-orders on Dodo. The other two are sold out.

I will bet that Hornby have already ordered more, but we might see more liveries and I doubt it will be in 2017, due to the lead time imposed by the Chinese, and in Hornby's case, other countries, in the area. There will be no spare slots to slip in more quickly, unless Hornby cancel other projects to gain factory time slots.

With FE production if you have a runaway success there is nothing you can do to take advantage of the interest and extra sales.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

I will bet that Hornby have already ordered more, but we might see more liveries and I doubt it will be in 2017, due to the lead time imposed by the Chinese, and in Hornby's case, other countries, in the area. There will be no spare slots to slip in more quickly, unless Hornby cancel other projects to gain factory time slots.

With FE production if you have a runaway success there is nothing you can do to take advantage of the interest and extra sales.

Stephen

Most likely I would think that 2017 will see a normal(ish) Year 2 approach from Hornby so it will be different liveries (and detail perhaps?) which will give the opportunity to widen sales appeal.

Stephen

Perhaps, but perhaps not. The pre-ordering for the Peckett has given a good indicator to Hornby of the popularity of this item so they may well have had other liveries sorted in advance. All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Cheers,

David

Perhaps, but perhaps not. The pre-ordering for the Peckett has given a good indicator to Hornby of the popularity of this item so they may well have had other liveries sorted in advance. All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Cheers,

David

Totally agree. Given that they have known for some time how well these were going to sell, another production run that also stand a chance of selling out before they hit the shops would be just what Hornby need to generate much needed cash flow and profit. 

Totally agree. Given that they have known for some time how well these were going to sell, another production run that also stand a chance of selling out before they hit the shops would be just what Hornby need to generate much needed cash flow and profit. 

Therein lies the problem. The initial run sells out before hitting the shops, utopia !.

Now it is a brave manufacturer who has to predict how many to produce for subsequent runs.

Did the first run almost satisfy the market or did it only scratch the surface. if it's the former this

could result in lots of unsold models because the perceived demand for more wasn't there.

I am sure the Peckett has a lot of mileage in it, as there have been hardly any industrial loco's made by anyone.

A brave move which deserves to succeed.

• RMweb Gold

Agree, if there's any lesson Hornby could learn more than most is to know when quitting is a good thing.

Personally I think there are several models that are in the bargain bins, as the first runs oversold, leading to near identical re-runs.

K1's come to mind, before them B17's, and before them B1's, P2 and DoG...

It's not as if Hornby hasn't got a small back catalog to cherry pick from, they could hold back on some initial sell outs, and cover other variants or even other models, then bring the new one back later.

A good example of this could be the Crosti... it's not been massively over done, and it's not in the bargain bins either, despite being limited on variants and livery.

The peckett is in my opinion a model where people might start collecting the liveries, like people collect individual terriers.

So if consistently with different variants, but not doubling up the runs, they could attract a cult following, retain their appeal, stay away from the bargain bin and become a consistent seller.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

The Peckett has the possibility of appearing in the catalogue for years, with a different livery or two appearing each year in limited quantities.  This could be Hornbys Nellie, Pollie  and Connie for the 21st century. Not for starter trainsets I just meen they are omnipresent in catalogue.

Agree, if there's any lesson Hornby could learn more than most is to know when quitting is a good thing.

A good example of this could be the Crosti... it's not been massively over done, and it's not in the bargain bins either, despite being limited on variants and livery.

The peckett is in my opinion a model where people might start collecting the liveries, like people collect individual terriers.

So if consistently with different variants, but not doubling up the runs, they could attract a cult following, retain their appeal, stay away from the bargain bin and become a consistent seller.

Theres plenty of room for variant livery reissues of the Peckett, it'd be similar to what is already occuring with the Sentinel.

OTOH, the slurry-pit weathered Crosti is already headed for bargain status.  Its in the Hattons Hornby bargain sale at present and Rails "Advent Calendar" had knocked £10 of the price they were previously offering it for.

All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

I'm sure it will.

I suppose a decision will be taken once the data on the initial sales is analysed. Despite all the pre-production trials there will be no harder test than that to which the buying public will expose it to.

If it turns out not to be a mechanical or electrical lemon (I've no reason to think that it will) and is a commercial success I can envisage those at Hornby Towers leaning back in their high chairs, puffing on a big cigar and thinking, "why didn't we do this earlier?".

With the mechanism proved and adaptable, perhaps Hornby's hardest future decision may be between having another run of Pecketts or as Gilloverland has suggested introducing a different small industrial. I assume that selling the entire initial run of of the three different Pecketts will recover all R&D costs etc meaning just production and transportation/distribution overheads for future runs?

Any one for a decent small Andrew Barclay?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Personally I think there are several models that are in the bargain bins, as the first runs oversold, leading to near identical re-runs.

K1's come to mind, before them B17's, and before them B1's, P2 and DoG...

It's not as if Hornby hasn't got a small back catalog to cherry pick from, they could hold back on some initial sell outs, and cover other variants or even other models, then bring the new one back later.

The Peckett has the possibility of appearing in the catalogue for years, with a different livery or two appearing each year in limited quantities.  This could be Hornbys Nellie, Pollie  and Connie for the 21st century. Not for starter trainsets I just meen they are omnipresent in catalogue.

I agree with 'adb' - most new releases seem to sell well in the first batch then struggle with subsequent releases. If I were Hornby I'd do one more run in the next 12 months  with 3 obviously different liveries (I'm amazed there isn't a red one in the first batch!) then let it lie for a couple of catalogues. There is nothing like the perception of 'rarity' in the model railway world to build up a guaranteed pent up 'demand'. But if they ran up a second batch of the current liveries now they would indeed be bargain binned in 6 months time.

Definately agree that a subsequent production run should have markedly different industrial liveries. Certainly, despite the MSC 11 selling out at most places, it would be unwise to produce the sister Peckett to this in the second run.

Did the MSC own any of the Hunslet Austerities? This might be something that either Hornby or DJM could consider, as it would now have two other stablemates in the form of the Peckett and the Sentinal. Wikipedia says they did, but I have never seen a definitive picture that show any.

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic:

Did the MSC own any of the Hunslet Austerities? This might be something that either Hornby or DJM could consider, as it would now have two other stablemates in the form of the Peckett and the Sentinal. Wikipedia says they did, but I have never seen a definitive picture that show any.

There is a book on the Railways of the Manchester Ship Canal that gives chapter and verse on their locos.  Of course, I can't find my copy at the moment to confirm or deny exactly, but from memory MSC didn't have any 'straight' Austerity tanks, but they did have at least two (possibly three?) of these  '18" tanks' with outside cylinders which were a postwar development of the Austerities.

http://www.sutherland.davenportstation.org.uk/aaprint/lmr/lmr-54-02.jpg

HTH

Moxy

:offtopic: / off

Edited by Moxy