RMweb

Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

We'll have to confine the inauthentic liveries to the matching wagons then. Nice iron minks, Icedgemo covered hoppers, and Chocolate Oliver siphons anyone?

If the preservation lines are permitted to dress up locos in past livery schemes that the protoype never carried, I see little objection to an attractive livery scheme from some other similarly sized and form industrial, on a model Peckett.

I've been complaining for thirty years about so called heritage railways repainting industrial locomotives in Big Four and Thomas The Tank Engine liveries.

To me it's as bad as painting Flying Scotsman blue, putting a face on it and calling it Gordon. Imagine the uproar if that happened.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I meant using fictitious liveries on what is meant to be scale models. There would be uproar if they painted mainline engines in fictitious liveries, why is it seen to be alright to do it to industrials?

Apart from the point I've made in my previous post, Jason, about having some 'generic British industrial loco liveries' in the future, there have been a number of main line locos painted in fictitious liveries.

Think of the Fairburn 2-6-4T on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway (quite a few years ago now), the Ivatt 2-6-2T and various others on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, the HST power car painted in Hornby colours not that many years ago. There are probably more - oh yes, here's another one - the GWR 4575 Prairie tank painted in London Transport colours (I always thought that looked rather smart).

No doubt some of these liveries caused outrage amongst certain parties, but maybe not so much amongst others, including those that owned the locos in particular.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the point I've made in my previous post, Jason, about having some 'generic British industrial loco liveries' in the future, there have been a number of main line locos painted in fictitious liveries.

Think of the Fairburn 2-6-4T on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway (quite a few years ago now), the Ivatt 2-6-2T and various others on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, the HST power car painted in Hornby colours not that many years ago. There are probably more - oh yes, here's another one - the GWR 4575 Prairie tank painted in London Transport colours (I always thought that looked rather smart).

No doubt some of these liveries caused outrage amongst certain parties, but maybe not so much amongst others, including those that owned the locos in particular.

All the liveries worn by Tornado are fictitious as it's a locomotive that never actually existed...

• Like 2

And I remember the complaints in the magazines. You just have to look at the City Of Truro April Fool joke to see the response from many. There were pages of complaints when they painted Flying Scotsman LNER green with double chimney and smoke deflectors.

But they really happened. So a model of them is legitimate. I've also seen complaints about Hornby releasing the Jinty in LMS red as 16440 even though the real one was in that livery at the time.

I believe when the K&WVR and L&HR both started they decided they weren't preserved railways and wanted to run the locomotives as if it was a proper railway with it's own identity. Not so much fictitious liveries, more a new livery.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Well, this is all great stuff. I've always thought that RMWeb is a wonderful place, a fantastic resource, a great source of inspiration and information, ask or give advice, somewhere to have a chat with friends or even have a bit of a rant from time to time.

Of course, for me at least, it is now the number one place to find out about new developments in the hobby (and has been virtually from Day 1) and to see the outcome of the various manufacturers plans, when they come to fruition and are released onto the market.

There have been numerous photos on (mostly) this thread taken by very happy recipients of the new Peckett, showing the loco in full detail and from virtually all angles. It's performance is covered in video clips and we've already had informative posts from folk starting to make something even more special from their Peckett.

And here's the point, despite having seen all the photos and read all the comments, the receipt of my own Peckett this morning was the first time I've actually seen one 'in the flesh'. As soon as I opened the box and put my 'Dodo' on my work bench, I realised that not even all the photos and videos on RMWeb had prepared me for what a little jewel of a model this one is.

I am just so utterly impressed that Hornby can offer something of this quality and exquisite detail for what is less than £100. You could pay four times that for a brass kit built to the same standard by a professional builder.

I've not bought much 4mm RTR stuff this year. I thought that the USA tank was good, but this Peckett, in my personal view at any rate, is so far ahead of any other competition that it really has to be 'Model of the Year'. It's got my vote, anyway.

The quality of the livery is absolutely brilliant and the fact that it's in an 'official Peckett' livery means that it matches my P4 'X' class 'Lord Salisbury'. I had planned to keep my 'Dodo' in OO, but now I'm thinking that it could be a sister loco for 'Lord Salisbury' at Frog Lane Colliery. Not really sure yet.

Exactly so.

This whole issue of 'fictitious liveries' might be missing a point here, unless I've actually missed something myself. Most of us model the general practice and style of one of the railway companies, whether pre-Grouping, 'Big Four' or British Railways, but our layouts are actually fictitious, in that they never existed in reality, but portray what the so-and-so company might have done, had they actually built a railway there. As such, our main line locos and stock need to be 'spot-on accurate', we need to have buildings from the appropriate railway company and in the correct 'house colours' etc. We might even have a backscene based on the actual location that our fictitious layout is based, but the layout itself is ultimately still fictitious. And there's nothing wrong with that, all my layouts have come into that category and all the layouts currently planned in my head will also be in that category.

As such, any industrial premises meriting it's own railway system and locomotives that's portrayed alongside one of our fictitious layouts can legitimately have industrial locos in virtually any credible colour that might have been used in the UK at the time.

I think that a few releases in 'typical' UK industrial liveries would be a very good move on Hornby's part, providing the wording or numbering on the loco doesn't tie it down to any one single industrial location (although I'm also quite happy to see a few more of these, too). It would appeal to the 'must have one of each' collector, and also to the modeller.

I have to agree CK. Hornby have produced a most beautiful model. I was excited by the arrival of the Radial but the Peckett is in another league altogether. Like you, I was stunned by just how good it looked when I saw one in the flesh. I do not need one of these, let alone a second.......but I want another because they are so good.

Name and number plates to follow......

Rob.

Tornado are fictitious as it's a locomotive that never actually existed...

So does that mean that if Tornado blew it's whistle in a forest but there were no train spotters to hear it, would it make a noise?

I think that as Tornado does actually exist any livery it carries is therefore prototypical,  

so lets campaign to stick a face on it paint it blue and call it Gordon!    

Mines just about bought it.

Had some experimentation with number removal. On one side I tried Humbrol thinners. That's the latest stuff sold in the glass bottles. For me the results where not good. Applied with a cocktail stick sharpened to a chisel end and just working on the area of the plate this was the result.

attachicon.gifPeckettMedalling-005-Sm.jpg

On the opposite side I used Testors lacquer thinners. It took three applications of the thinners, each application managing to remove consecutive colours red, gold and white. Also hardly polished the eggshell finish still leaving everything semi matt.

attachicon.gifPeckettMedalling-004-Sm.jpg

I'll not give the whistle much longer though.

P

I'm sticking with Brasso. 

Mind you it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to  note that you've also removed the dome. Was it easy and can anybody recommend a source for a replacement? Same style but the lower version.

Was it easy.

The hammer and blunt screwdriver seemed to think so. (Short sharp shock from the inside).

can anybody recommend a source for a replacement? Same style but the lower version.

Dome is plastic so it shouldn't be too difficult to shorten it. The SV's are metal turnings.

• RMweb Gold

I was just going to run no11 as the Works loco on Lulworth but I'm finding I'm spending a lot of time looking at the Tillig cobbled track and some big Faller kits that would make a nice Brewery or factory . . .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The hammer and blunt screwdriver seemed to think so. (Short sharp shock from the inside).

Dome is plastic so it shouldn't be too difficult to shorten it. The SV's are metal turnings.

You are being so cruel to your Peckett - would you like the same thing done to you?  :jester:  :jester:

A more sympathetic body shell for the GWR Holden and that dreadful one, loosely based (I believe) on a South Wales colliery locomotive class would be a step forward.  The current Railroad 0-4-0 chassis is adequate for the starter trainset market and performs very nicely compared to earlier iterations.  As mentioned above (post 1397) I was given a Caledonian Belle R1151 trainset for Christmas.  The Caly pug in the set runs only a little faster at full speed than my H&P Peckett, unlike my elderly Smokey Joe which corners on two wheels at full speed, before leaving the track entirely!

I don't actually mind the Caly pug body, it looks reasonable when in a black livery, though "smokey joe" on the tank is a bit over the top.

A Railroad body on a Peckett chassis, even if simplified, would result in a loco too fragile to be played with.

A Stanier/Kitson 0-4-0ST (47000-47004) might be an idea. Yes, the wheel base is 3mm out, but for Railroad that isn't too bad, especially if the body is useful to serious modellers. Also, the Peckett catalogue has an inside cylinder 0-4-0ST with 7' 6" wheelbase, which could be a possibility.

https://www.martynbane.co.uk/peckett/slides/page76.html

I hope this accurate Peckett model changes that kind of attitude toward industrial locos. I'd say more but I've got to go and paint the copper on the chimney of an LMS Black Five that I'm repainting to be a close enough GWR Hall...

You'd perhaps first have to generate the kind of forensic reviews mainline releases generate, which I don't think is happening (yet).

I'd love to see more high-spec industrials. But I don't believe it's so horrifying to suggest using the chassis under a body that is (say) 1mm too long, or has the wrong number of wheel spokes, etc. in the Railroad range, which clearly has degrees of robustness. That I'd call "close enough", rather than the Railroad Bagnall which is, er,,,

• RMweb Gold

And I remember the complaints in the magazines. You just have to look at the City Of Truro April Fool joke to see the response from many. There were pages of complaints when they painted Flying Scotsman LNER green with double chimney and smoke deflectors.

Yes, I remember them too. I found most of them hilarious and just couldn't take them seriously. I rather wish that CoT had run for a year or so on the main line, in lined BR black, a livery I've always liked.

What we have to remember is that the owners of these locos can paint them whatever colour they choose. In the early days, if certain parties hadn't saved certain locos, then they could have ended up in the scrapyard.

Back in the very early days of the West Somerset Railway, pannier 6412 was running in an 'incorrect' GW livery, in that it was lined green with 'GWR' on the side of the tanks. At the time, I was a volunteer fireman on her. I remember that one day, some very serious-looking fellow came up to me and pointed out in no uncertain terms that this livery was wrong for the loco and 'shouldn't be allowed' or whatever (in fact, the WSR had bought 6412 from the Dart Valley Railway the year before, in 1976, and I think she had come to the WSR in that state).

Anyway, I put on my most serious face in return, and told this gent in the most earnest way I could, that the present owners of 6412 were seriously contemplating re-painting her maroon. I thought it was immensely funny, but oddly enough, he didn't see the joke. :)

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

But they really happened. So a model of them is legitimate. I've also seen complaints about Hornby releasing the Jinty in LMS red as 16440 even though the real one was in that livery at the time.

I believe when the K&WVR and L&HR both started they decided they weren't preserved railways and wanted to run the locomotives as if it was a proper railway with it's own identity. Not so much fictitious liveries, more a new livery.

Jason

Actually, in all seriousness for a moment, may I ask for clarification of one of your points regarding the Hornby Peckett - are you advocating that all future W4 releases should only be in liveries that were actually carried by real W4s, ie. the liveries of real UK industrial concerns that used them?