Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Oh i agree Roy. I am not having a go at Hattons far from it. I encourage the use of the pre owned from Hatton, I will mention here I do use Hattons as my go too retailer! The premium on the Peckett is the thing I question. I have no problem with profit taking there is a price anything can be bought for. I just find that Hornby who need as much success as possible seem to have missed the boat with at least a double release this year and making the market wait for 12 months before a single locomotive his the shelves.

I note the Peckett we are discussing is sold at coming up to double the original price less than 8 hours later!

• RMweb Gold

Oh i agree Roy. I am not having a go at Hattons far from it. I encourage the use of the pre owned from Hatton, I will mention here I do use Hattons as my go too retailer! The premium on the Peckett is the thing I question. I have no problem with profit taking there is a price anything can be bought for. I just find that Hornby who need as much success as possible seem to have missed the boat with at least a double release this year and making the market wait for 12 months before a single locomotive his the shelves.

I note the Peckett we are discussing is sold at coming up to double the original price less than 8 hours later!

But Hornby will have set this year's slots long before the success of the Peckett was known. I suspect they wish they had done a double slot and perhaps they will try to procure another slot this year as a surprise.

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now.....

If I was Hornby....

I'd be looking towards the 6-wheel version....

Already got the wheels, cylinders, motor & drive train, and a lot of the smaller parts that go up to make the complete model.

He he. I'm saying this, and I haven't had a chance to get my MSC model out of the box yet....

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Just tried to order the Huntley and Palmers but the last one sold 5 minuets ago.

Its going to be a long week...

There's one in the Blaenavon Railway Shop. 01495 792263. Not silly money either. They do post, and take card payments.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Help!

I was fortunate enough to have managed to buy one the Hornby Peckett W4s - R3427 'Dodo' when they were first released in December.

I hadn't actually got around to running it and had put aside out of harms way (or so I thought). However, somehow last weekend our dog, Bella the Beagle, decided she liked the look of the Peckett so much that she started to eat the box and packaging!

She must have been disturbed because I didn't catch her in the act but instead came into the room and found the shredded evidence of what she'd been up to! As luck had it she didn't manage to get through to the loco itself and that fortunately was unscathed.

Is there anyone on this forum who might possess the same box which they don't want and might be prepared to let me have? Obviously I would pay postage costs etc. I tried Hornby but they don't keep spare boxes.

A bit of a long shot I know - but if you don't ask........

Thanks - in anticipation.

post-9315-0-01691600-1487867658.jpgpost-9315-0-14118500-1487867670.jpg

Edited by DEREK145

I fitted sound to my Dodo yesterday, and I thought I'd have ago at posting a couple of piccies on here, but it's beyond my very limited I.T. skills. I can try to attach a photo but it comes up as too big a file (3.4 MB instead of 1MB), and I cant work out how to shrink it, so you'll all just have to take my word for it. Suffice to say I found it easier than the method in Model Rail. Sorry Peeps!

I can try to attach a photo but it comes up as too big a file (3.4 MB instead of 1MB), and I cant work out how to shrink it, 

We do provide an image editor within RMweb where images can be re-sized - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=pixlr

If you resize the longest side to about 1500 pixels you should be OK.

I've had a go with this picture editor thingy, here's hoping I've done it even though I've been pratting for ages without knowing what I'm doing. I think I've lost 1 photo by altering one and saving it over another. Anyway lets hope this works.

This should be a picture of the cut down speaker fitted where the rear coupling fits between the frames. This involves removing the lug where the coupling screw houses by drilling/filing, the speaker wires go through the remains of this hole after lining the inside of the frames with insulating tape to insulate the speaker connections from the chassis. You need to file a groove in the top of the chassis to take the wires from exiting this hole to where they will run up the back of the motor housing where there is room for this because of the body fixing pillar. After wiring up the speaker to the decoder this should hold the speaker roughly in place to allow the rear body fixing screw to be fitted, the speaker then half covers this screw before being held tightly in place by the new rear coupling wedging it, I then filled the small gaps in with black-tack to seal everything.

post-22703-0-77876200-1487881697_thumb.jpg

Fitting the speaker here frees a bit more room for the decoder. I used a Plux 16 Zimo decoder I took out of a Fleischmann loco, this goes at the front of the motor housing, it justs needs the two small retaining lugs breaking off and the plastic locating bit at the bottom removing so the decoder sits on top of the cylinder block. Not trying to fit the speaker here means there is room to construct a plug affair for the decoder, I used a female fitting plug cut down from a dead 21 pin decoder linked to the 4-pin plug on the loco's wiring, if you use a wired decoder you could connect direct to this plug. I didn't find it neccessary to alter the body in any way, everything fitted back ok.

post-22703-0-45659400-1487881630_thumb.jpg

post-22703-0-09724600-1487881583_thumb.jpg

The decoder is held in place/insulated with black-tack between the decoder and the motor housing. The pictures show the speaker wiring going down the side of the motor but this was a mistake I realised after the photo's were taken, the wires need to go over the top of the motor.

Here's hoping this has come out OK, and you all understand my ramblings.

• Like 3

I've had a go with this picture editor thingy, here's hoping I've done it even though I've been pratting for ages without knowing what I'm doing. I think I've lost 1 photo by altering one and saving it over another. Anyway lets hope this works.

This should be a picture of the cut down speaker fitted where the rear coupling fits between the frames. This involves removing the lug where the coupling screw houses by drilling/filing, the speaker wires go through the remains of this hole after lining the inside of the frames with insulating tape to insulate the speaker connections from the chassis. You need to file a groove in the top of the chassis to take the wires from exiting this hole to where they will run up the back of the motor housing where there is room for this because of the body fixing pillar. After wiring up the speaker to the decoder this should hold the speaker roughly in place to allow the rear body fixing screw to be fitted, the speaker then half covers this screw before being held tightly in place by the new rear coupling wedging it, I then filled the small gaps in with black-tack to seal everything.

attachicon.gifIMGP0900.JPG

Fitting the speaker here frees a bit more room for the decoder. I used a Plux 16 Zimo decoder I took out of a Fleischmann loco, this goes at the front of the motor housing, it justs needs the two small retaining lugs breaking off and the plastic locating bit at the bottom removing so the decoder sits on top of the cylinder block. Not trying to fit the speaker here means there is room to construct a plug affair for the decoder, I used a female fitting plug cut down from a dead 21 pin decoder linked to the 4-pin plug on the loco's wiring, if you use a wired decoder you could connect direct to this plug. I didn't find it neccessary to alter the body in any way, everything fitted back ok.

attachicon.gifIMGP0899.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0898.JPG

The decoder is held in place/insulated with black-tack between the decoder and the motor housing. The pictures show the speaker wiring going down the side of the motor but this was a mistake I realised after the photo's were taken, the wires need to go over the top of the motor.

Here's hoping this has come out OK, and you all understand my rambling

Could you post some detail pictures of how you got the speaker wires through the frames, please? Exactly what type/model etc. of speaker did you use?

Edited by Ruston

Could you post some detail pictures of how you got the speaker wires through the frames, please? Exactly what type/model etc. of speaker did you use?

It's the smallest sugar cube available from Zimo/ESU etc, approx 12 x 8mm. The housing for it needs cutting down so it doesn't come below the frames. The wires go through the hole where the original coupling screw went. There is a lug affair for this screw that needs removing so that the speaker sits flush on the underside of the chassis, as previously explained. You need to fit a replacement coupling by drilling a hole at the end of the chassis. Edited by daltonparva

The coupling isn't a problem as I've already thrown it in the bin and fitted Dinghams. Does the body/cab need cutting at all? I'm interested in how you get the wires to the hole.

The body/cab didn't get touched at all, the only real work was to drill off the screw lug under the chassis, and file a groove for the wires to sit in on the top of the chassis as the body sits flush on this. You should be able to see this on the 2nd photo.

Edited by daltonparva

• RMweb Premium

Just read our wonderful wonderful Peckett W4 0-4-ST has claimed 1st place in the BRM Awards 2016 Steam category.

YES!   :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Well done Hornby!

• Like 1

A question about Huntley & Palmers, I put a picture of my Peckett on FaceBook and someone remarked that he'd seen them (the real ones) shunting box vans, could that be right? He might have been thinking of the boilerless loco?

After reading through the whole of this thread I gathered that the Pecketts were used for shunting coal. How did H&P get the basic ingredients for their biscuits on site? Would it have been by road or rail?

I know virtually nothing about industrial railways so I'm finding the whole subject intriguing.

After reading through the whole of this thread I gathered that the Pecketts were used for shunting coal. How did H&P get the basic ingredients for their biscuits on site? Would it have been by road or rail?

Don't know the answer, but for anyone who hasn't come across it a good starting point for research is at: https://www.reading.ac.uk/special-collections/collections/sc-huntley-palmers.aspx

Edited by 90rob

A question about Huntley & Palmers, I put a picture of my Peckett on FaceBook and someone remarked that he'd seen them (the real ones) shunting box vans, could that be right? He might have been thinking of the boilerless loco?

I know virtually nothing about industrial railways so I'm finding the whole subject intriguing.

Is it possible that the Pecketts shunted vans within the exchange sidings, whilst the 'fireless' loco dealt with those areas of the system where smoke would not have been allowed? 

Flour was probably brought in by both road and rail (possibly even by canal- where's the Kennett and Avon in relation to the works?). Much would have been of local origin, as high-gluten, imported, flour isn't required for most biscuits. There's a lot of cereal growing nearby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

90rob points out the excellent Huntley & Palmers site - I'm linking to a couple of photos:

The point I was making about coal related to Huntley & Palmers' private owner wagons, which would be used for bringing coal from whatever colliery the firm had a contract with to the Reading site. This photo shows one of H&P's wagons (right) and a Stephenson Clarke wagon (left) delivering coal. I'm pretty confident all other traffic - both ingredients (and raw materials for tins) in and finished product out would have been in railway company-owned wagons - sheeted opens and covered vans, with the proportion of the latter increasing over time. This photo, taken deeper into the factory complex, shows GWR opens with sheets, a SER/SECR round-ended open - a sort of poor man's covered van! - several GWR iron minks, in the far background a LSWR van and end on on the right, I'm fairly sure, a Midland van. Although horse shunting features in this photo, no doubt the Pecketts were kept busy moving these wagons to and from the exchange sidings with the GWR and SER to wherever they were needed within the site.

Incidentally, the H&P wagon in the coal stack photo is of a different design to the wagons in this photo (which I've linked to before) which as, thanks to wagonman, have been identified as dumb-buffered wagons from the 1873 batch numbered 1-5 and iron framed 4-plank wagons from the 1889 batch numbered 6-10, all built by the Birmingham Wagon Co. (The date of the photo is certainly not 1920 as suggested in the caption - 1890s seems more likely to me.) It's also not one of the 1907 Gloucester Carriage & Wagon Co. batch of wood-framed 6-plank wagons numbered 21-25 (presumed); I suspect it's from the 1903 Birmingham Wagon Co. batch of ten steel-framed 10T wagons numbered 11-20 (presumed?), despite wagonman's note from the Birmingham records that these were 'as before'. The arrangement of the lettering is different, with 'Reading' at the right hand end and there's a notice just blocking where the number would be... The wagon behind seems to be another of the same type.  

Edit, re. Fat Controller's post: my focus is the pre-Great War period. The Bagnall fireless locos arrived in 1932. Perhaps they took over from horses in the parts of the factory live engines weren't allowed to go, or maybe somebody did a risk assessment - or there was an accident...

Edit: I really like this photo too, showing one of the Black, Hawthorn engines (A or B) and an interesting variety of railway company-owned wagons - the antiquated looking vans are beyond my knowledge - SER? LCDR?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Edit: I really like this photo too, showing one of the Black, Hawthorn engines (A or B) and an interesting variety of railway company-owned wagons - the antiquated looking vans are beyond my knowledge - SER? LCDR?

My SER wagon-spotting skills have benefitted from looking at the SERKITS range - beautiful looking stuff but unfortunately for me all 7mm not 4mm. All the wagons in the line on the right of the photo are SER vehicles, I think - vans (SR Diagram 1553) and round-ended wagons (SR Diagram 1327). The wagon with SER sheet No. 3938 draped over the side might be a coal wagon (SR Diagram 1328). They all have Mansell wooden-centred wheels. Also, I now suspect the horse-drawn wagon is another example of the SER coal wagon - note the extra vertical strapping on the sides. [Edit: and the lamp-irons on the end - very unusual on a goods wagon.] The South Eastern was of course the leading railway serving Reading...

Edited by Compound2632

So with 2 months searching, I purchased mine at £79. Sometimes waiting comes off better than snatching the first one you see :P

C5mW5lCWAAA8c5x.jpg

Oh I quite like the look of the NCB version in Blue. Nicely weathered and looks to be a different Blue to the H&P version. I just wonder if some one fully repainted it and then weathered or it was the HP and some how treated. 

It shows these little lovelies can be changed into interesting looking machines with a bit of effort.