Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

22 hours ago, Steadfast said:

And flipping good for seeing where you're going they are, too! Even on dim they're seriously bright.

Jo

I'd hope you might have some idea where you're going Jo!? Hugs!

Seriously, I've cab ridden HI fitted locos and the idea of OG Western & Hymek candle lighting freaks me out!

C6T.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, legomanbiffo said:

I am pleased to announce that despite a number of setbacks and challenges, my sound file for the Dapol 59 is just about ready for release into the wild. My first model got lost in the post. Then when a replacement finally arrived I’d been struck down with manflu. Absolutely no fun whatsoever then trying to wrestle with the most complex logic puzzle I’ve ever been set by a model manufacturer. The model does indeed have on-board logic between the auxiliary outputs of the chip and the lights. This ultimately limited what I could do in terms of lighting configurations. After literally hours and hours of experimentation and hair pulling I have achieved the best results I can given the limitations of the circuit board and design. So you have (Dapol’s interpretation of) daytime running, night time running, and yard mode (markers only). You can also disable the tail lights in any of those modes (which I refer to as train mode). It wasn’t possible to program parking mode (reds at both ends). Furthermore, no amount of CV changing would improve on any of the lighting configurations that Dapol have enabled; hardware changes would be required. 

As well as extinguishing the tail lights, train mode also switches from loco brake sounds to train brake sounds. This is a feature that I’m retro-fitting to all sound files when time and recordings permit. 

Another notable feature of the 59 sound project is the ability to park the loco with the correct sounds of the hydraulic parking brake going on and off. Also featured are; the whirring sounds of the reverser each time you change ends, the driver’s safety device (DSD), battery isolator and so on.

I have yet to investigate the smoke generator so the sound project is not yet ‘smoke enabled’.

Hi Biff 

brilliant the chip is all done and ready will look forward to getting mine and having a play with the sound functions, sounds like you had fun trying to make the lighting functions work. 

1 hour ago, legomanbiffo said:

The model does indeed have on-board logic between the auxiliary outputs of the chip and the lights.

I aren't sure why they do this. Is it to make it a bit friendlier to those who want to chuck a 6 function chip in and not change CVs? It's a bit frustrating that they have done it IMO, having lots of light functions and the options opened up by an ESU chip, it's a shame to then be stuck with how they thought it should be done.

The Bachmann 90 is similar if I recall correctly.

3 hours ago, legomanbiffo said:

As well as extinguishing the tail lights, train mode also switches from loco brake sounds to train brake sounds. This is a feature that I’m retro-fitting to all sound files when time and recordings permit.

Hiya,

That's an interesting feature - out of interest does this vary the sounds of the brake release?  When releasing the train brake, you should hear the loco brake come off as the driver begins to power up too. This video has a a pretty textbook departure on level track at 15:07.

The train is held with both loco and train brakes applied.

Release train brake.

Release loco brake (loud hiss).

As the bogie gauges drop down, give it notch one to stop the train rolling back.

As the gauge continues to fall and reaches zero, apply more notches.

Hope that's useful

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It looks like I may have a motor issue on my ARC version...wonder if anyone else has come across this:

In one direction the power is smoothly deployed with a beautiful slow crawl for realistic stop and start (in DC.) In the other direction it starts abruptly at just north of 50% power and comes to a stop just below that - in this direction it's highly unrealistic. The loco is DCC fitted, but I've not yet configured the layout for digital (an upcoming project) and also wondered if the problem will persist when I switch everything over to DCC. I know that smoother starts and stops are possible on DCC, but do you think that the deficiency in the motor as it is at present will prevent this later in DCC? Appreciate any advice on this before I go back to Dapol.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Dapol Class 122 behaves like this if one of the drive shafts has failed. This is due to plastic teeth with a poor friction fit on a metal shaft. Can be fixed with super glue.

Does the Class 59 have plastic ends on metal drive shafts? Hopefully not...

Edited by letterspider
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted 2 hours ago

Dapol Class 122 behaves like this if one of the drive shafts has failed. This is due to plastic teeth with a poor friction fit on a metal shaft. Can be fixed with super glue.

Does the Class 59 have solid plastic drive shafts? Hopefully not...

Thank you letterspider. I haven't delved into the mechanism yet, but I hope not too. I'm inclined to think that returning it Dapol for comment/replacement may be the best option.

• Friendly/supportive 1

So I was a little disappointed with the factory sound and speaker when running the class 59 along side a Hattons class 66 fitted with an EM2. The Dapol solution was just totally drowned out prompting some investigation into an easy upgrade.

To my delight, an EM1 fits perfectly in the speaker space with the only modification being to remove the screw lugs from the EM1. This has also let me run the lighting wires under the speaker to avoid them hitting the diaphragm and interfering with the sound. I have also mounted it with blue tack to act as a vibration absorbing mount and have soldered the speaker directly to the PCB. Took at worst 15 mins to fit and has dramatically improved the sound (especially once you crank the volume up).

This speaker was......borrowed from an Accurascale class 92 that I wasn't planning on sound fitting. It's just an EM1 rebranded. Buying directly from Accurascale appears to be the cheapest way to get an EM1 at the moment too so happy days!

IMG_3766.jpeg.290df971aa7303d1b8f388937af4bc32.jpeg

Edited by Br60066
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, richard w said:

If you have the 59/0 I have a fix for the lights.  As others have pointed out, configuring the correct lighting via the decoder is not possible.  The additional circuitry on the main board prohibits lighting features beyond Dapol's interpretation of class 59 lighting.  Thanks  legomanbiffo for your post regarding this as I was beginning to think I just didn't understand how to program decoders properly. 

All 4 lights on my example are now lit correctly for a 59/0.

20221229_180649.jpg.421bb131d8f89efd6ecf9ad70ccc4208.jpg

Simply solder yellow to white (jumps the markers) and blue to black (jumps the headlights) on both lighting boards.  They are held will a small amount of glue and pop free easily with tweezers.  Despite arriving at this conclusion some time ago I decided to pursue programming which ultimately reached a dead end. 

20221229_164923.jpg.8f20feb75296cc0280b583d69edc59b3.jpg

The rest of the functions continue to work properly (red lights, cab lights, on/off etc).  Yard mode (markers only) should also work with this as the head and marker light circuits remain separated.

I've also removed the NRM pod and adjusted the roof accordingly using a file for 59005. 

20221224_224123.jpg.bdc8aaa35f2128b13861a9cbe6b7b246.jpg

20221224_224129.jpg.c1a091060206d105fc37f58351cbbf39.jpg

Humbrol 11 (from the 1980s) is a good match for the silver Dapol have used.

20221226_102335.jpg.766cd12dedd9d68a6f71b4d4b2ecafdb.jpg

Hope that helps.

Lovely job that and one that I’ll be undertaking on my 59/2 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

How did you flatten off the ridge in the roof Richard? 

I outlined the area to be flatted with some masking tape and used a flat small file to gently remove material until the flattened area lined up with the masking tape edges.  I then filled in the holes from the etch with Perfect Plastic Putty and sanded that smooth with 1500 grit paper.  Glued the pod back on, masked off the body sides/exhaust and finally blew in some paint from the airbrush over the end of the roof.  I used a very old tin of humbrol 11, decent match to the Dapol shade of silver.

20221225_222115.jpg.0156e2aa003a01913dc30c485000fcaf.jpg

Edit - I scribed the two panel lines back on with a blunt scalpel blade before painting.

Edited by richard w
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, richard w said:

I outlined the area to be flatted with some masking tape and used a flat small file to gently remove material until the flattened area lined up with the masking tape edges.  I then filled in the holes from the etch with Perfect Plastic Putty and sanded that smooth with 1500 grit paper.  Glued the pod back on, masked off the body sides/exhaust and finally blew in some paint from the airbrush over the end of the roof.  I used a very old tin of humbrol 11, decent match to the Dapol shade of silver.

Edit - I scribed the two panel lines back on with a blunt scalpel blade before painting.

That’s great thank you 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, richard w said:

Lovely job that.

• Agree 1

The Legomanbiffo all New Classs 59 Dapol Project ia available now !!!:

Yes these currenly flying out, but we have plenty of stock here, so they can be ordered at the Introductory price + Speaker from:    https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=261

Thumbs Up.png

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 3